Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

How soon post op were you able to get out & about?

Comments

• really are good for you. They tire you out and you may be a bit sore, but it sure helps with the boredom. I went to the grocery store a couple of times early in recovery and made the mistake of filling the cart too full. Not good!!! Let me tell you, it took me a long time getting those groceries in the house by myself!!!

I don't realize I'm overdoing until much later. It doesn't hurt so much while I'm doing things around the house, but later I get to hurting really bad. It's like when I'm eating too much and then realize later that I ate entirely too much and am uncomfortable.
  • Yes they are good for you!!

I am 3 1/2 weeks post op and I wen tot Walmart Yesterday and it was great! I used an empty cart to push around and it was nice to get out among the living again!!

• advertisement
  • After reading a lot of posts here, I decided it would be smart to schedule surgery late in the spring, so that I could get out and walk. Well, I live in NC, so there isn't a lot of time where it would be really bad anyway. But I don't like the cold, so I know I wouldn't want to go out if it were too cold (and it does get cold here).

But one thing I am a little worried about, at least at first, is that we live at the top of a hill. There is a short distance that I could walk in my neighborhood, where I wouldn't have to go down/up any large hills, but if I want to walk any distance that will be necessary. I'm hoping I won't have too difficult a time walking the hills, after a little while.
  • if the hills are real steep I would avoid them, but it sounds like you could just make a couple laps in the neighborhood on steady ground.

I planned my recovery for the winter so I wouldn't have to be laid-up & stuck inside durring the summer months. I did this when I had my hysterectomy a couple years ago too & it worked well for me. By springtime I was well enough to enjoy the weather, camp & have fun.

the downside is that I am going to have to go to Walmart to get my walking in this winter. Infact, Walmart is sooo huge maybe I will start with the grocery store and work my way up to the Mall 8>

Anyway, good thing is I have felt great the past couple days & I am ready to get out of the house, but we had a blizzard yesterday & its about -30 today, so the weather isn't cooperating :(
  • I too live in Iowa and am sick of blizzards and all. I talked hubby into a short trip to Walmart. Will use a scooter, not hardd to run. Too big a store to try to walk. Will set you back,if you try to walk it. Its cold but I need to see different scenery,
  • advertisement
  • yes, the weather is enough to depress anyone.

Since cold flares up my fibromyalgia, I think I will wait til it gets a little warmer tho, no need to bring on more than I am already dealing with.

Try & stay warm on your outing :)

• My doc told me while I was still in the hospital that because of complications and the resulting 6+ hour surgery, I would be slower on the upswing. Plus I lost too much blood and was anemic when they let me go home. I guess docs don't like to do transfusion unless absolutely necessary. The other thing my doc didn't mention but he kind of nicely "inferred it" was that age makes a difference, too. I'm 56. I just don't seem to recover like I did when I was in my 20's and 30's.

There are so many variables when it comes to recovery. I've been amazed at the effort it has taken (me at least) to get to the point that I could even return to work (parttime) after 6 weeks. I think it is good to have the strong will to be out and about that everybody here has. It's the impetus that will get us all back on our feet quicker and better. It's alot better than feeling so down and depressed that you don't want to do anything at all.

So good work everybody. I've rarely met a more courageous group of people. I love reading these posts focused on getting life back to normal! So uplifting!
  • Kathyy,

I too needed blood transfusion, actually, I needed 3 units (I must have bled a lot) do you think that could be the reason im so tired and it feel slike it is taking me forever to recover? hmmmm???

• Dina, I didn't realize you lost so much blood!!!! My hemoglobin was under 9 when they released me from hospital (normal is 12 - 15) so I was pretty anemic. I have no doubt that you would benefit from iron. If it is what you need, you'll know it pretty quickly. Iron apparently acts fast. Within 2 days I could tell a difference. Here's the downside. First, be sure and take slow release only. Secondly, take a stool softener with every dose. This is a MUST. Thirdly, if your stools turn black, don't panic (like I did). You aren't bleeding internally!!! That's the iron. Fourth, add some prunes (try Sunsweet One's - they actually are tasty and packaged singly in a clear container with the raisins) or other fiber because they do cause constipation which you probably are already fighting with the narcotics.

Have you resolved your awful nausea issues? Are you feeling a bit better. I've been worried about you.
    nursedina001 said:
    Kathyy,

I too needed blood transfusion, actually, I needed 3 units (I must have bled a lot) do you think that could be the reason im so tired and it feel slike it is taking me forever to recover? hmmmm???

• I moved alot today, even worked on my hubby's PJ pants I am sewing for him, but boy am I paying for it tonight!

My pain level started rising about 4pm and it's either take another pain med (which I am trying to cut out) or lay down, rest & take it easy tonight...

I think I'll take it easy & see if I can resist the percocet calling my name :D
advertisement