Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

shoulder pain and meds

NealNNeal Posts: 10
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Tell me if you can about how long does this shoulder pain I'm having after cervical surgery lasts. It's getting worse it seems and I thought that with the last surgery I'd have a some pain but this shoulder pain is worse than what I was having before I had the surgery for the numbness and weakness in my arms and hands. I take the pain meds but have a hard time getting any sleep due to the pain.
Help me if you can. Thanks.
advertisement

Comments

• Have you called your surgeon to tell him the pain meds aren't helping the shoulder pain? Have you tried heat? Ice? I hope you feel better soon. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Is the shoulder pain the type of pain you had before the surgery or something new? I know after my operation on 12-4-08 I had considerable shouder pain but it was the OTHER side from my nomral pain-the surgeon said it was likely from the way they had to position me for the long operation. I used heating pad to get rid of the tightness and husband massaged the area for me, but it was painful for 2 weeks.

If it is the same side as before I would be concened if it's been many weeks and the pain is not getting a bit better each week. I also had pain, numbness and twitching in my shoulder and arm after surgery but it has steadly improved.

Is the pain a burning pain from nerve damage or the deep ache of spasms type of pain from a contracted muscle?

Good luck!
  • advertisement
  • Welcome to S~H.I don't know why you are having more pain,only your Dr can answer that,but I would speculate that it is from the surgery itself.It hasn't quite been a month yet I see from your signature lines.Is it getting worse,or has it gotten better and now worse again..how has it changed if at all?

My issues are cervical too and so of course I'm curious.I read where a lot of people have surgery due to the numbness,weakness,or tingling in their arms,hands and fingers..which I have too,and then end up with pain in one or both shoulders.I already have the pain in my shoulders and other symptoms,but I haven't had spinal surgery as of yet.Do you mind if I ask what prompted your surgery..or how you came to the decision to have it done?

I would ask your Dr though about the pain,and I hope you get better answers than I have.lol.Good Luck,and please keep us posted.
  • Sorry to hear about the pain but I know exactly how you feel. I ended up also taking a muscle relaxer for my shoulder pain and I am scheduled to have a nerve conduction study on my right hand on Friday. My previous muscle relaxer didn't work for me after surgery. My surgery was 3 months ago and I am almost completely fused. So my surgeon is a little baffled at the moment but reminded me that 3 months is still soon in the healing process. PT helped with some of the shoulder pain. At least now it has settled in one shoulder instead of across my entire back. But the nerve pain is new to me and I'd like it to go away pronto. It's in my right hand and I need it. Talk to your doctor and see what he/she has to say.
  • I've called the docs office and they said that it's more than likely from repositioning the muscle when they did the surgery on the back of the neck. I've been using both a hot pack and then will switch to a cold pack. They doc has offered me more pain meds but I hate those things and only take them when it gets real bad to where I cant stand it any more. My boss calls me superman because it takes so much for me to hurt or sometimes just looking down will do it.
    Thanks for the reply and good luck.
  • advertisement
  • This shoulder pain is new but on the same side as where all the neck problems were. (the right side). The pain is a burning kind and when it hits, it hits hard and nasty. I cant even take my shirt off without help and then sometimed that drives me crazy too.
    My sweetheart has said she'll start massaging my shoulder and neck for me, I hope it helps.
    Thank you very much.
  • Hi Robin.
    The pain had got so bad that I couldn't sleep (and still can't) and I learned that the first doc "said he replaced C2-C7" with donor bone, screws and plates but when I went to the new surgeon he had x-rays and a MRI done and both showed nothing being done from C2-C4. Now since the 17th I have all sorts of hardware in there and new bone too. They both told me that I have DDD and osteoarthritis and that this was the best way to help it.
    Thanks for the welcome. I came upon this web site by accident and am glad I did.
    Thanks again and have a good evening.
    Neal
  • Thanks Tonya and I'm glad to hear you're healing so quick.
    If I was 21 again I think I may heal fast too but that was 30 years ago. LOL. All I know for sure is that this crap is no fun.
    Thanks again and have a great evening.
  • Neal said:
    Tell me if you can about how long does this shoulder pain I'm having after cervical surgery lasts. It's getting worse it seems and I thought that with the last surgery I'd have a some pain but this shoulder pain is worse than what I was having before I had the surgery for the numbness and weakness in my arms and hands. I take the pain meds but have a hard time getting any sleep due to the pain.
    Help me if you can. Thanks.
  • Neal, I hope you shoulder pain has improved, I had C4-7anterior cervical diskectomy, fusion, partial corpectomy & instrumentation, he also cut alot of bone spurs on Dec. 9, 2009. It's been five weeks and the past week or so I have the same type of pain behind my right shoulder blade that pervents me from sleeping on my right side. I called my doctor on the 5th and his office said that's normal keep taking pain pills. If I turn my head to othe right the pain is worse. I see the doctor on the 23rd, he told me the day of the surgery I would be ok to go back to work "If the xray shows the bones have started to fuse. I hope so, I did not think I would still be so limited at this point of post surgery. Pre sugery all of problems were on the left side of neck, arm and hand, this current problems are post surgery and I didn't expect after five weeks this would be happening. I have gotten alot of imformation reading all of the other people problems.
    I wish the best for you and hope you are feeling better.
    Rick
advertisement