Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

shoulder pain and meds

Comments

• It seems that go hand in hand. My shoulder problem started a little over a year after my surgery. I was bounced around like a ball between my spine surgeon and a shoulder surgeon. I did PT and they seem to think I have some thoracic problems but shoulder surgeon thinks no and so does my spine surgeon. Finally after a set of trigger point injections in my shoulder done by the shoulder surgeon I did get some relief. For 5 months I suffered, no sleep and could not get my clothes off over my head. The MRI of my shoulder showed "Blunting", maybe a tear. I like the shoulder surgeon because he did not jump at surgery, he says that is the last surgery you want because it is very long recup.

Sharon
  • When you put on or off your shirt, always put the affected arm first that way you won't have to pull on that shoulder.
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • advertisement
  • Hiya neal, Firstly Welcome to spine health, i hope you enjoy this site as much as we do. Since finding this site, i have met many special friends and buddies on here. The bad times have been much easier, because my friends on here have helped me through it. Neal your post i have found very interesting, i have recently found out that , when i had surgery i was told discs were taken and one shaved, and recently i requested a copy of my MRI and they are there. No wonder i have been in more pain. Have you ever heard of placebo? If you want to PM me i will talk to you about this much much more.

Angie x
  • Hi,
    Yesterday I ran into a friend (she's married to my doctor).
    I told her about my shoulder pain, She said her husband "Rick's surgery was one of the hardest he had done due to all of the bone spurs and other problems her found"
    No wonder I am so sore. The doctor office called me yesterday (after my friend called my doctor) they changed my pain pill to something stronger, it help my sleep last night,during the night my soft collar came off and when my alarm went off I sat up and turned my hear to the right side fast and wow, that was a mistake, PAIN.
    Hope you are feeling better, thanks to all for your experiances and words of hope.
    Rick
  • Hi Neal.

I'm almost 3 months out from my surgery and still have shoulder and neck pain. I'm also still in a soft collar. My surgeon says it's normal to have continuing muscle spasms and an achy neck. That's nice to know, but what I'd like him to tell me is when the heck is it gonna go away??? It's pretty frustrating to move from one pain to another. My hope is that it goes away after PT (I start that next week), but my confidence that it will ever go away is waning. Ack. :W

Take care and here's to 100% fusion, pain or no pain.

Cath
  • advertisement
  • I'd like to thank everyone who written here. I've only been a member for a short time but the things I've read from others and about others has been a very big help and an eye opener. I've kinda got this feeling though that maybe one thing the docs don't tell us is that we're in for a lifetime of pain but if we want to get rid of this pain we need another surgery for this ONE but then we'll need another for something else and so on. I did have one surgeon tell me that at one time but never thought that could be real. What do they expect to do? Fuse on area then go back in and do another a few years down the line? Maybe it'd make me feel better to share the pain with him? LOL. Nah, I'm not a violent person. My first grandson was born the day I had my last surgery and today I got to hold him while sitting. It hurt my neck and shoulder but I wasn't going to let anyone know. I was happy to hold him. :) Since I started having these surgeries, I've been through alot of pain and a little heartbreak but keep putting one foot in front of the other and making life as good as I can. The pain meds and pain I guess I'll have to live with. I wish I didnt have take the meds though. Pills and I are not happy together. I work pointing out ways for people to live without alcohol or drugs but now pain meds are becoming a way of life for me and it's scary. I'm used to being very busy running all over but now driving is difficult and dangerous while on meds and I can't work around the house anymore like I used to. Just gotta keep my head up and my feet moving one in front of the other.
  • Hello Neal.It sounds like you are going through a lot in your healing process.I can picture you there holding your grandchild-and who can hold a brand new grandchild and not just stare at them in wonder.I believe that's probably why your neck was hurting.Your shoulders from the actual holding of the baby...and yes,they are worth every bit of it.

It does seem like a domino affect with these spine surgeries oftentimes.I've done a LOT of research,and it seems as if when a person has one level operated on that it compromises another,either one up or one lower,whichever is weaker.Eventually another surgery is needed and so on.This is why I have decided to prolong any spinal surgeries and stick with conservative treatments as long as humanly possible.Some people aren't so fortunate and have no choice,while others seem to want surgery and seem to almost desire it and rush right it.I think that they are the ones that believe it will be the answer,and that their pain and problems will finally be over with.From what I've read it is rarely the end.

You just had surgery on Dec 17th,so it's understandable that you are still taking pain medication.I've never had spine surgery,but I've had many others and can only imagine that it would be a pretty painful healing process..your spine supports your entire body after all.

I'm trying to understand the part in your post where you mentioned that ;
    Pills and I are not happy together. I work pointing out ways for people to live without alcohol or drugs but now pain meds are becoming a way of life for me and it's scary.
    This interests me because I used to drink quite a bit.I have quit drinking and have no desire to ever revisit that part of my life again,but I have learned a lot from it that I wouldn't want to forget either.I can imagine the self introspection that you must be struggling with..even though there is really no comparison.I'm sure that you are already aware of anything I have to say about the subject,but it's nice to be able to even mention it with another person 'who knows what I mean'.Also,I commend you for working with others.There is a difference taking the medication for real pain and taking it for recreational purposes.You would know that line though.

Heal Well Neal :)))
advertisement