Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Eliptical machine

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,321
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Just wondering if anyone has used an eliptical machine after fusion surgery, and if so, when did you start after surgery? I have an eliptical machine sitting at home just staring at me, but the PA didn't want me using it (he did hesitate before saying he'd rather me not). The weather in the midwest isn't the best for outdoor walking and the nearest mall is 35 miles away. I want so badly to be doing something to help me not get too out of shape. My pre-op pants are already to tight!! :jawdrop:

I am almost 6-weeks post op from a one-level PLIF (L5-S1) and have returned to work full time. As of last week, I have very little pain and often forget that I've had back surgery (except when laying in bed or rolling over). Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I'm ready to do everything, I just know that I can do some things with moderation. I've been very careful and done what's been asked of me, understanding that the fusion process will take a long time. Any advise is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
advertisement

Comments

• I did 15 minutes last week and it's been 6 months post op ALIF L5/S1 so I thought it would be ok. This was last Monday not yesterday and I am just starting to feel a little better from it. It flared me up something aweful and I was having severe muscle spasms. I was hurting pretty bad for a week straight. All because of 15 mins at the lowest, easiest setting and I paced myself slowly. The doc told me not to use it for a while. I don't know how long awhile is but I am better off on a treadmill or recumbant bike.

I wish you better luck than me, however, you should always check with you doc before starting any new exercise after fusion. My ortho told me the elliptical should be fine after I was cleared at 6-8 wks from incision. I didn't try it that early though.
  • I did 15 minutes last week and it's been 6 months post op ALIF L5/S1 so I thought it would be ok. This was last Monday not yesterday and I am just starting to feel a little better from it. It flared me up something aweful and I was having severe muscle spasms. I was hurting pretty bad for a week straight. All because of 15 mins at the lowest, easiest setting and I paced myself slowly. The doc told me not to use it for a while. I don't know how long awhile is but I am better off on a treadmill or recumbant bike.

I wish you better luck than me, however, you should always check with you doc before starting any new exercise after fusion. My ortho told me the elliptical should be fine after I was cleared at 6-8 wks from incision. I didn't try it that early though.
  • advertisement
  • I started at the gym a month ago and 2 weeks ago I started using the sliptical trainer (cross trainer).
    I started at 2 minutes! :D Yep that was enough for me and I go 5 times a week and add and extra 30 seconds every couple of day. (now up to 5 mins :))( )
    Then I get on the treadmill for a lot longer.

You really have to pace yourself and build up to it.
    I am nearly 9 months after a L3-S1 PLIF.

Walking is your best bet for now so can you borrow or hire a treadmill?

Blessings Sara O:)
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,527
    health equipment piece of choice that my doctors like.
    They also like Treadmills, but think that patients wont keep up on them and sometimes if they go to a too fast mode and it can hurt.
    The Eliptical machine work on many different parts of the body and without any impact.
    But still before you even try it, check with your doctor(s) to make sure its ok to use
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
advertisement