Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Lower back pain that radiates down leg and into foot

Comments

• hello black95gt,

Did you get your results of your MRI? You're symptoms are exactly what I have been going through for the past 2 weeks. I am hoping to get in for an MRI this week myself. I was told from xrays that I had done in Nov. that I have a slight bulge in L5 disc and doc thinks I aggravated it recently from my last fishing trip when this pain started. I can't walk or sit for longer than 5mins at a time. Taking pain meds until this can be looked into further. Luckily I get to telecommute from home for work since I have a 40 mile drive and there is no way I could last that long sitting nor would the manual shifting help. I am hoping nothing is as bad as what's been posted above. All I can do is think the best of all of this and the pain will be easily fixed. I hope all went well for you as well. Look forward to your results.
  • I had guided epidural and steroid injections. They worked temporarily so that I was able to function (with major pain meds) to get my mri. My pt didn't work except post op last time. But to relieve the pain this time, nothing worked. Major pain meds like I said made it possible to get around a bit. The doctor said he wanted to do another micro because it is so much less invasive than a fusion. He is pretty conservative. If I need to at some later point then I will consider it, but I wanted to do the least I could do get the most benefit. We will see! I can only imaging trying to teach with all this pain. You dont have a chance to take a break. I hope you find a way to feel better soon.
    To tell you the truth though, I needed pretty major meds to function and they didn't even make me feel loopy because they helped so much with the pain. That is probably not good. I am down to taking very little since my micro on the 16th, just a couple a day to deal with incisional pain. Let me know what your doc suggest. By the way, are you seeing an ortho or neuro?
  • advertisement
  • Sounds like you've done it all. I'm not to the point right now where I need major meds. But unfortunately, I have lost my optimism and am just waiting for the day to come when I need them. I'm seeing a neurosurgeon. I'll keep you posted.
  • What is a price estimate for the Micro? Are we looking at $2000? or 20,000?
  • My husband is self employed and we have horrible insurance. The cost is around 18 thousand. Our responsibility for my first one was about 9 thousand total. That includes, doctor, hospital, ect.... I am still making payments on my first surgery. They don't seem to rush you as long as you are making an effort to pay. Does this mean your doc has recommended a micro? Did you get the mri results back?
  • advertisement
  • My husband is self employed and we have horrible insurance. The cost is around 18 thousand. Our responsibility for my first one was about 9 thousand total. That includes, doctor, hospital, ect.... I am still making payments on my first surgery. They don't seem to rush you as long as you are making an effort to pay. Does this mean your doc has recommended a micro? Did you get the mri results back?
  • The MRI results are back, but i havent talked to the doctor yet. The nurse just said its a herniated disc compressed against the sciatic nerve and refered me to the Neurosurgeon. Im just wondering worst case scenario. I think my insurance is pretty good (i buy it myself), but its a $500 deductible then 80/20 for a maximum out of pocket $2000/year. I goto se the neuro on the 29th, and im going to ask for the micro. This PT isnt working and am in more pain now than before. I would be sore going in and in extreme pain leaving. I figure if i could go get the micro done and recover for a week or two and start PT again, that would be my best option for a faster and full recovery.
  • That sounds smart. It also sounds like your PT may be causing more harm than good. If you have a good neuro, recovery from a micro should be smooth. I had mine on Fri, and I am feeling great. I am on zero pain meds. I feel better and better every day, and I have to force myself to take it easy, just because I sure dont want to end up back on that operating table. It sounds like your insurance is pretty good. We buy ours also, and didn't realize until my last micro how bad it was, so we have been working on switching. After the micro, you are supposed to recover two weeks before you start back at pt. That will help a lot with the muscle imbalance from the weak leg. You have nerve damage in your leg right?
  • yeah,pain is all in the right. I am starting to walk better and with less pain, but now the pain is getting worse when i lay down. Also some of the leg pain is becoming a more burning sensation at times rather than the sharp pain. If i get the micro, how long before i could go back to work? I am just at a desk job at the moment, so its just sitting and some walking, but no lifting. I am hoping i could do it on Friday and rest through the weekend and go back on Monday, but that might be far fetched. I dont want to miss much work if i dont have too.
  • Sorry to crush your dreams, but no way. You will need at least 3 or 4 days to recover, and then you still need to rest a lot. The main hinderance to your life will be that you can't sit. You can walk a lot, stand, or lie down. No sitting for more than 5-10 minutes per hour for at least 2 weeks, then not more than about 20 min per hour for the next 4 weeks. Sitting puts a ton of pressure on the lower back. Maybe you can work from home with a laptop while laying down. I'm not trying to sound like an expert, it's just that I am going through this right now, and I am probably a good example of someone who wasn't careful enough since I had my first mirco just last Feb, now here I am again 1 week post op, hanging out on spine-health! Haha.Anyway, I know its frustrating to be limited, but life is much sweeter when you are out of chronic pain! Good luck!
advertisement