Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!


Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

Neck pain and surgery issues

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,321
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical

I have been Diagnosed, X-Ray's, CT'd and MRI'd, and coping with neck and shoulder pain for 9 months now since my diagnosis. I have seen a neuro-surgeon already and he said that it would take surgery. My question is , what are my other options besides the cervical fusion, which I have already decided against? Can anyone give me info on my options other than the fusion? Any help will be appreicated.



  • there is always physical theraphy or meds and i have decided to go forward with the prestige disc replacement. it is not fusion here is the link.


    good luck
  • Gary,
    I struggled with almost exactly the same situation. I went to the doctor about 8 years ago (I was 31) and he said I would "eventually" need surgery. He was right, it was just a matter of time. I chose some other routes like PT, chiropractor, Motrin. never really wanted to do pain management (Opiate based meds) for obvious reasons. Back in December I was hunting/camping with a friend and woke up to a pain unlike anything I ever had. Brought me to my knees with tears. My friend drove me to the hospital, my first visit their ever. I'm 39. They gave me a pain shot and muscle relaxers to provide some relief. I couldn't move my neck or right arm. Long story short, when I went to Ortho Dr to review MRI, I could clearly see that I had severe herniated discs at C5/6 and C6/7. They were touching my spinal nerve and causng the pain and damage. Same diagnoses as your Dr I bet, surgery is the only remedy, other than living with the pain. I asked about the risks of not having the surgery and was told some really shocking stuff with helped me make my decision. I could become worse in a short matter of time. The pain would spread to other areas, legs, back, etc. PT could actually make it worse. The scariest was paralysis, which could come from a minor bumber bender or other accident. your spinal nerves just don't like things touching them. Mine were too bad for an epidural shot, which is only a temporary fix anyway. I decided to do it, not only for me, but for my wife and family as well. I was scared and confused, but it's all working out well. I came home 5 days ago and I'm on the road to full recovery. Things that worried me the most were missing work, surgery complications such as throat pain, infection, wearing a neck brace for months, and the general fear of hospitals. Just know that it is smart to question everything. but also know that some things do require surgery and there just is no way around it. Not sure how bad your disc disease is, but use the facts as a decision making tool and don't let fear have you living in pain. Some suggest that putting it off can cause more permanent damage, so the clock may already be ticking. You may be able to buy some time,but the trade-off may be very costly (further nerve damage). Own the decision, and make sure if you decide to get the surgery that you research your Dr's qualifications, research the hospital where you get it done, get smart on exactly what they will be doing to you, and most of all have a positive outlook. I'd do it again if I had to because the medical science backing my decision made sense to me. Everyone will be there to support you!
  • advertisement
Sign In or Register to comment.