Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

SCS pain coverage issues

Comments

• Like "C" said I'd ask a doctor. With no help there perhaps a S.O. could tape a gauze "pad" over it for nights or for a few days to see if it will calm down.

I've been kind of plagued with back pain around my anchor site, but, that is also where I had three endplate fractures, so I have not thought it worth complaining about, except here of course...

I can also set my pocket on fire by walking, stooping, bending to much, the PM was so nice as to place it right where if I tighten my belt up it digs in to it and if I leave my belt loose I am constantly hitching up my pants.

The SCS is indeed a tradeoff, after doing what I did to myself last weekend I am very happy I have it.

But, that's another story.
  • I know you posted this some time ago and I am sure you may have things worked out by now.
    I just wanted ro say that my stimulator made my back pain worse and the rep said this can happen. And I read it someplace too.
    Cheers
    Patsy W :H
  • advertisement
  • If you need to find a good and reliable PM who is diversed in SCS, ANS has an excellent website. Its called POWEROVERYOURPAIN.COM. All the PMs listed for your area have been to extensive training on the systems. After my trial , i wanted to be implanted with the EON Mini. But my PM and ANS rep explained to me that due to the high rate of usage during trial, The regular EON was best for me. It would require less charging and last longer. I would of never considered this if it was not for the experience of my PM. The websites can only relate so much information to you.
  • Can you explain to me what the EON stands for? I have a doc who works with the Boston Scientific and I am considering that option for my arm pain (it comes from my cervical discs). I have heard from people who have the Boston Scientific and the Medtonic, but would like further info on the EON.
  • EON is the St Jude Medical Company neurostimulation systems brands of which I have one. It's just another brand of the SCS.
    It has a tiny IPG...about the size of a silver dollar and weighs about the same.
    Hope this helps.
    Cheers
    Patsy W :H
  • advertisement
  • There are actually 2 different sizes of EONs from ANS/St Judes. The one Pat refers to is the EON Mini. The other is just the EON. It is a little larger than a silver dollar and about 3 times as thick. It weighs a total of 2.5 ounces. The EON mini has a smaller battery and needs recharging more often, depending on your power usage. I actually was hoping for the EON Mini but due to the power i used in the trial i was implanted with a regular EON. If you ask your PM, they should be able to show you a demonstrator model of each SCS they implant. Mine actually gave me a demonstrator of the EON so that i could tape it to my body to find the best placement for it. I was able to find the best and most comfortable location to have it implanted. I hardly ever hit it on anything or even notice it unless i really try.
  • I recently met with a PM who likes the non-rechargeable St. Jude ANS Genesis. He claims it has a long battery life. Does anyone have this IPG?

RPlatt56: Where is your IPG placed?
  • Hi,

Has everyone been required to do an extensive psy evaluation before having a IPG device inserted? Is this a company or physician requirement?

I don't think I will have any problem showing I am mentally stable, not a drug addict, and able to comply with requirements, but it is a pretty large investment of time and money- my insurance does not pay for it...

After everything I have gone through, surgery, recovery, continued pain etc... (as have most of us on this forum) and then living with chronic non stop pain- I would have thought they would start with a psy evaluation to see if I would survive all of that mentally intact! The SCS seems like a walk in the park compared to all of that!

Just wondered if everyone else out there in chronic back pain land was going through this psy process as well before the IPG procedure.

Thanks,

Wendy 8}

• Everyone has to have a psyc evaluation before an SCS implant. The insurance Co. require it and they pay for it!! I have never heard of anyone having to pay for one themselves. Did your insurance co say they would not pay for it?? It is THEIR requirement!!
    I did not pay for mine and do not know of anyone else who paid for theirs.
    I would not have one unless you get this worked out. You should not be paying for it.
    I do hope this is not something new insurance companies have came up with. It would prevent a lot of people from getting pain relief. Few people can afford this.
    Best of luck to you and please keep us updated.
    Hugssss >:D<
    Patsy W
  • From Medtronic, their recommendation (which docs and insurance companies use as a guideline)
    Spinal cord stimulation may benefit patients who meet the following criteria:

* Chronic, intractable pain for more than 3 months
    * Objective evidence of pathology concordant with pain complaint
    * Lack of adequate relief from more conventional treatments
    * Initial or further surgical intervention not indicated
    * No untreated drug habituation
    * No contraindications to implantation
    * Clearance and completion of psychological evaluation
    * Clear function goals have been established
    * 18 years of age or older
    Here's a quote from Medscape
    The need for a psychological evaluation has been driven largely by Medicare insurance requirements.
    Here's a quote from Pub Med
    To improve treatment outcomes of SCS, seems to be essential to perform psychosocial evaluations on all persons clinically indicated for SCS to exclude those patients, who most probably, on a psychosocial level, will fail the procedure. To maximize treatment efficacy, authors believe spinal cord stimulation for chronic pain control must be part of a comprehensive program. An accurate preoperative psychosocial assessment and a course of psychological assistance both before and after therapy seems to be crucial for improving outcomes.

PMID: 17173602 [PubMed]
    So when you have the companies and the medical community recommending that an evaluation be done in order to improve the treatment outcome ... well the insurance companies and docs listen.

So it's actually a good thing and it protects you "the patient" in the long run.

"C"
advertisement