Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

almost 5 months post c1 c2 fusion

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,578
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:27 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
hey guys
checking in and leaving an update. i have been out of neck brace for about 6 weeks. all is good. tyl for pain and occasional flexeril.
started PT first week in december. worried becasue i still get the rice krispies snap crackle pop noise back there. i fear it is the bone or fusion rubbing. . .. lol . . but then again this has been my fear forever.
fortunately the muscle tension has been dramatically decreased thanks to the massage therapy. muscle tension is awful. i found the massage therapy was the best thing for this.
hoping to go back to work in march. i see ns march 5th.
other than the noisy neck all is so far so good.
hope to start running again in march!!
advertisement

Comments

• Sounds like you are doing much better. Yeah!

The noises you describe are normal from what I am told. I have this too. I was told it is caused by inflammation in that area. Massage should help ease that.

Cindee
  • I told you we will be Rice Krispies together forever. I still hear the back of my neck too. It's funny sometimes and scary others. I'm glad your massage therapy is working since I am hoping to start deep tissue massage at the end of the week. I'm a little afraid of the first few sessions but know that it will be SO worth it in the end. I'm glad you finally gave us an update. Stop disappearing for so long at a time. We miss you when you're away. :)
  • advertisement
  • I am just 3 weeks into recovering from c1/c2 fusion with bone graft. I am wondering if someone can tell me how long it will be before I can feel normal again. I am amazed with the amount of pain which I am experiencing and the stiffness in my neck has not relaxed at all. I also have numbness on the whole right side of my head.I am hoping that there is someone that can explain the process of recovery to me.
    Thanks
    Barbara
  • Barbara43 said:
    I am just 3 weeks into recovering from c1/c2 fusion with bone graft. I am wondering if someone can tell me how long it will be before I can feel normal again. I am amazed with the amount of pain which I am experiencing and the stiffness in my neck has not relaxed at all. I also have numbness on the whole right side of my head.I am hoping that there is someone that can explain the process of recovery to me.
    Thanks
    Barbara
    Everyone is different and heals at different time frames. Generally a complete fusion is close to 3 months on average. The first month is the worst or at least it was for me. the 2nd month improved some. The 3rd month was the best. your neck will be stiff for the entire 3 months until the collar comes off and your doctor tells you its ok to move it. The numbness on the side of your head is from the halo device used to secure your head in place so it wouldnt move during surgery. That resolved for me in about 3 to 4 weeks. Hope you feel better soon :)
    2005-ACDF with Corpectomy at C3-C-5.
    2006-L4-L5 diskectomy.
    2009-Cervical laminectomy at C3.
    Steroid injections series x 4.
  • Thanks for the encouragement. I will look forward to the 3 month post op. I have since been told that the numbness to the right side of my head would be caused by a nerve that was drilled through during the placement of the rod and it will eventually get better. However my post op appt with the surgeon is in two weeks. I will hopefully know more than where most of my pain and numbness is coming from.
    Take care,
    Barbara
  • advertisement
  • Hi Barbara,

It sounds like you had the surgery three weeks before I did. I am five weeks post op and I feel a lot better. I am still concerned with the range of motion however. I know it takes time and its too soon to tell. I go back for my 8 week post op in a afew weeks. How are things for you at this point?
  • Since you've gone through this surgery can you tell me how your range of motion is at this point?
  • Just wanted to say Hi & it just takes time to heal. I am 4 1/2 mos post op, still a little pain, NOT near as BAD!!! Now getting massages, tens unit, ultrasound (2weeks now) .... it made a HUGE turn around in my recovery - the muscle pain was a 10+!!! Poor muscles have been through ALOT!!!
    Take Care ALL of YOU!!!
    hugs & kisses
    Julie
  • Hi all, Im new here.. I am 3 monts postop after c5-6 ACDF. still have bad pain. My last xray of a day ago shows no bone growth in the cage, is this normal or should there be some growth seen. I see my NS in a few days. The pain I have now in the last couple of days has put me on the couch. its a pain I have not had before... a very deep burning throb just above the base of my neck. what the heck is going on. If anyone has gone through this type of surgery can offer any help it would be so great!! Thank you!
  • I feel as if you are telling my story. I to am 3 months post-op and I wander will I ever feel normal again. My doctor told me I will never be 100% again so I guess I will find a new normal. Good Luck and hope you feel better. ACDF @ C5 and C6 with hardware.
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.