Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

We're building a better forum experience with you in mind. Beginning June 26, 2019, all Veritas Health forums will move to forum.veritashealth.com.

Learn More

Functional Capacity Test-Help!

Comments

• I know this thread is older but as my PCP told me I should have one of these exams, someone steered me here. J.J.Grey, from what you are saying, I should NOT go, as it was only my PCP that asked that I take it. My LTD insurance company has not asked that I take it yet, so I feel it's not necessary at this time for me yet at this time, it does NOT put my disability payments in jeopardy.

Of course, when I did the bike riding stress test in the hospital several years, back, I started hyperventalating and they grabbed me off that machine fast as my blood pressure rose, but I don't think this FCE tests like this, but could be wrong.

I am fearful of it because like people have posted, there are things that I "can" do but will leave me in pain the rest of the day...so is that a pass or fail. Sounds like to them it's a pass, yet for the person who is left in pain all day, there is no question it is a fail.

Maybe my insurance won't approve and I won't fight it.
  • Oh and I wanted to add that my NS told me that the SSA had been getting harder and harder to deal with and under their guidelines, lower back pain was only a 25% disability. 8-0

Yikes, how can they even figure that? Obviously, no one changing this has lower back pain, eh?
  • advertisement
  • My primary doc ordered me to have one a couple of months back and my insurance wouldn't approve it without copies of my whole medical file. My doc felt this was too much work so he dropped it.

Now this week, the new neuro I visited had said it might be a good idea to have one done to help complete all the disability paperwork I keep getting in the mail.

I am also scared of this test for the same reason that goguard had mentioned. I may be able to do something but it doesn't mean I won't be paying for it dearly later on.

I had 2 appts on Tues for SSDI in addition to meeting with the new neuro. The SSDI doc spent a max of 5 mins and was very insensitive. He went through everything so fast...bend down touch your toes, bend back, side to side..yada yada. I was able to do all these but he went through them so fast. How can SSDI determine I am/am not disabled based on this 5 min test? I just don't get it. I'm sure the FCE is similar in the way they go through things so fast and don't treat you as a person in pain. Tha's just my opinion as I haven't had a FCE yet but am scared to have one done.
  • Is that when it comes to LTD ordering FCE it is for the purpose of finding a way that they can stop payments or deny your claim.

GoGoguard, which type of lower back pain is your NS refering to? Unexplained or with diagnosis and xrays/mri's?
    I have lower back pain due to failed back surgery and arthritis of the facet joints that is getting worse every year. I have xrays to prove it and my SSD atty thinks that we will not have a problem when we have the hearing in front of the ALJ.
  • J.J.Grey said:
    Is that when it comes to LTD ordering FCE it is for the purpose of finding a way that they can stop payments or deny your claim.

GoGoguard, which type of lower back pain is your NS refering to? Unexplained or with diagnosis and xrays/mri's?
    I have lower back pain due to failed back surgery and arthritis of the facet joints that is getting worse every year. I have xrays to prove it and my SSD atty thinks that we will not have a problem when we have the hearing in front of the ALJ.
    Sorry just saw this and just posted about my FCE on the DDD forum. My pain is post-surgery. I see my NS tomorrow, interested ot see if the xrays I take beforehand who any signs of what could be causing the pain and if they don't, I really don't think he'll sign a note for me to stay out of work, which means I will then be "laid off".

My examiner made note of comments I made in my reports and took them ot of context also. These guys are not your friend. Heck I don't want them to be my friend, I juse want them to be fair and my not including everything I said, the report does not look good.

And how can he check that I can stand for up to 5.5 hours when I honestly can't stand...without pain for longer than 10-15 minutes. What a crock!
  • advertisement
  • If you are denied on the basis of the FCE, you should get an ERISA Attorney immediately.

Good luck.
  • I was sent for a FCE after my cervical fusion by my doctor, because workers comp required it. What a joke. Even my doctor disagreed with it. It said that I could work at a medium work level and it also said that I did not put forth enough effort. It about killed me. It lasted about 2 hours and the guy doing it acted like he was my best friend, hoping I my say something he could use against me. But I didn't and he still used the entire test against me. My doctor added his own comments to the results before he sent it to workers comp, saying that he did not agree with the test results. He said that he had been treating me for over a year and he knew the extent of my injuries and the restrictions that he was giving me would prevent me from even doing light work. But the test still went in my file and it came up several times when I was dealing with longterm disability and Social Security disability and it caused delays in my benefits. I finally have been approved for social security disability, but it took three years. If there is any way you can avoid an FCE, I would.
  • I guess I am fortunate. My FCE was done where I did my Work Conditioning Program. It was the four hour exam. In my case, I did everything the best I could and explained when the tasks caused me pain. I receieved a medium-minus rating essentially allowing me to continue work in my job, but with permenent restrictions.

I think it was a fair evaluation.

Keith
    Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • They asked this question if I would be willing to go for a FCE and what choice do you have? So I ticked yes. Really unfair I don't think I could manage this test for so many hours. What the heck do they make you do for over 5 hours of testing be it one or two days?
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I am scheduled for an FCE on April 3. Right now I am working very physical labor for 4-8 hour days. It takes me all of my 3 days off each week just to be ready to work again. I had ACDF C4 - C7. Lately my lower back has been hurting more and to the point were I can not stand up straight to walk. I do not know if I should have an attorney prior to my FCE. It has been 1 year and 4 months since my injury at work. Yes, I am a workman's comp case but was out of work for only 12 weeks.
    There are so many nice people on this sight that know what I am feeling and I like that. Not that we hurt but that we can relate to one another. Eva
advertisement