Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Functional Capacity Test-Help!

Comments

• Motor1MMotor1 Pittsburgh, PaPosts: 606
    edited 03/11/2015 - 2:25 AM
    I just found out that my pain doctor was contacted by workers comp & scheduled me for FCE on March 18th. My attorney has made several attempts into contacting the man that scheduled the test, but he won't return his phone calls. My attorney said that since my pain doctor isn't my primary doctor, he can't write the order for the test? He has advised me not to go to the test. He said my surgeon is my primary doctor? Also, my surgeon has scheduled me for an EMG 2 days before this FCE? I'm very nervous about this nerve test too? Has anyone ever not showed up to an FCE?
    Cathy
  • EMS GuyEEMS Guy Posts: 1,607
    edited 03/11/2015 - 7:04 AM
    Carlos - If they are recommending retraining for a different job, you should see about getting a formal settlement from WC. Each state is different so it might be worth the time to have a consultation with an attorney who does worker's comp cases.

Cathy - I don't believe anyone on this site should/could tell you not to listen to your attorney. WC cases can get very complicated. Since you have an attorney, I would do exactly what he/she says to do. It's nice to think that people have your best interest at heart but I can tell you first hand many WC companies are 100% about doing what is the least expensive thing to do even if it requires misleading you.

Keith

Keith
    Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • advertisement
  • Motor1MMotor1 Pittsburgh, PaPosts: 606
    I actually got a phone call yesterday from the guy that called me & scheduled the test. He asked me if I wanted to postpone it? Of course I said yes! So he canceled it. That's one less worry I have!
    Cathy
  • carloscruzccarloscruz Posts: 3
    edited 03/12/2015 - 8:00 AM
    this has all been done with my attorney approval, I just have never been thru something like this before so to be honest its a little unnerving. Its going on 2 years since i have had a pay check so was wandering where i am at in this lawsuit. beginning middle end what comes next will i ever be able to work again etc......... My lawyers seem to be just fine with whats going on but as for me dont know how much more i can take. by the way im in Oklahoma
  • A Unique QueenAA Unique Queen Posts: 1
    edited 07/31/2015 - 7:04 AM
    motor1 said:
    i actually got a phone call yesterday from the guy that called me & scheduled the test. he asked me if i wanted to postpone it? of course i said yes! so he canceled it. that's one less worry i have!
    cathy

hello everyone. im new here and wanted to know if anyone went to their fce test and the therapist ended their testing after 2 hours? she said she was not going to do anymore testing after i could not keep my balance without my cane. what does that mean for me? i gave my effort in spite of the pain and excessive heart rates. she stop the walking test because the monitor went off before i made it back to her on the first attempt. will i be able to retest?

welcome to spine-health
    please click on link for helpful information!
    also, please note, when posting using all capital letters, it is as if you are yelling..... thank you so much! ~ savage

~Queen~
  • advertisement
  • Classy 27CClassy 27 Posts: 1
    edited 08/05/2015 - 10:38 PM
    i would like to thank all of you who have share their experiences with this test.i too have to have this test done.i got hurt on the job in 2012 have been through it all. i had the surgery last year my doc says i have reached my mmi i had a rehabilitation conf.with my doc.and vocational case worker my doc told him that he could not release me to return to work ,so of course wc have had my doc to order the fce and my doc told voc.case worker that even after the fce he won't be able to release me because of the meds. i'm on.i don't know what wc is trying to find, but i'm not able to go back to work .im suffering in pain and this test will show that.i'm just going to do my best. i go next week and i'll let yall know how i made out .

welcome to spine-health
    please click on link for helpful information!
    (Be Bless!)
  • I recently had a FCE that the examiner was definitely bias. My doctor ordered this test so I could go back to work with restrictions so I wouldn't continue to hurt myself. The examiner criticized my doctor, my pain management and my physical therapy. Forced my hips and knees into positions that were unbearably painful and then hollered at me for being in pain. Basically called me a liar without saying the words out loud. I have facet arthritis lumbar with radiculopathy, bilateral sacroiliac joint sclerosis, bilateral partial thickness tears in my glutes, medial plateau tibial stress fracture and patellofemoral osteoarthritis. I limp because of my pain, rom and strength issues, but he kept asking what my problem was. I said I am sorry, but I am doing the best I can. 

He admits that I have deficits in my back, hips and knees. He admits that I have AROM and strength issues in my back, hips and knees, but says I can carry 45 pounds for 5 to 8 hours a day and lift 50 pounds for 5 to 8 hours a day.  He also said that I could kneel, climb, squat, and crawl for 5 to 8 hours a day. So lifting and carrying weight while in pain for a few minutes made him come to his conclusions. 

I should have know that when the examiner said that I couldn't have the results of my own test that it wasn't going to go well. And I was trying to go back to work. I'm lucky that my work supervisor knows that I have a good work ethic and thought the test was bias. 

• Just my 2 cents worth but every state varies in FCEs and laws. Workman’s Comp here in Florida can make it mandatory! 

DavidG

Veritas-Health Forum Moderator

• The examiner will only release a copy of his report to the person or agency paying to have the exam done.  What I have found is that you can pay to have your own FCE done in order to challenge the original test.  They are typically very expensive though.  In KY, a patient is allowed to have a third party person accompany you to an FCE to witness what's done.  But, as David said, each state is different.

I was pretty fortunate.  Both of my FCE's were I felt fair and accurately rated my abilities.  My suggestion to anyone having an FCE is to go into it with an open mind, be 100% honest with the evaluator and be willing to try each task that's asked.  You certainly have the right to tell the evaluator when something hurt's!  I hate to say this and I am not saying this is the case for individuals on this site, but the FCE examiners see a lot of people who try gaming the system in order to get disability.  These low life's cause it to be much more difficult for those who are legitimately hurting. 

I'm also not a fan of lawyers, but there comes a time when the system goes well out of it's way to rule against you.  I would suggest that if you feel you've been done wrong, talk to a lawyer.  Most will give you a one time free evaluation.  Like Florida, in KY if WC asks for an FCE or an IME, you are REQUIRED to attend it.  If you don't, you've just lost your benefits.

Keith

Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • Thanks all for all the great info. My pain doctor has ordered an FSE for me. He told me the SSDI people will need this. I know I suffer through all of my 8 hours days and I cannot pretend to keep up with the younger people. Yet, from what I'm hearing it's going to be my word against all that is reported from the OT and doctors treating me. I'm also hearing the great pains they put you through. I have failed my last PT visit due to pain, so much pain it caused me. I'm not looking forward to being subjected to horrendous unnecessary pain by an OT. 

I have full support by my pain doctor and today will ask for support by my GP. Then my GP can refer me to the OT. I have been off work now for only a month. I just can't do anymore, the pain everyday takes away my quality of life and my home life. I just this week applied for SSDI and I hope the lawyers help me out with my disability claim. 

Again thanks for the stories and advice.

Jezz

advertisement