Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

We're building a better forum experience with you in mind. Beginning June 26, 2019, all Veritas Health forums will move to forum.veritashealth.com.

Learn More

post-fusion: anyone "twisting" while sleeping? (esp. lumbar spineys)

aimlessaaimless Posts: 372
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I'm one week out from ALIF L5-S1, I went for a walk yesterday afternoon and found that my left hip was sore. (My left side was the one affected by the nerve compression). It was better by the time I got home, but then sore again on my next walk.

When I woke up in the middle of the night for my midnight percocet dose, I felt like I was twisted a bit (I sleep on my side) despite having pillows on both sides of me and between my knees to keep my body straight. Anyone else feel like they have "BLT" issues in bed? How do you get/stay comfortable? (Sure enough, my hip is sore this morning too).
Thanks for any suggestions!
-Melissa
Jan 2009 L5-S1 ALIF
May 2017 ALIF L4-L5 with PLF rods added L4-L5-S1
advertisement

Comments

• I don't have your lumbar issues, but when I was told by the NS that I could wear a soft collar to sleep (after 3 weeks in a hard collar), I tried it and woke up very sore. I figured that I'd moved my head around while sleeping, so I chose to wear my hard collar to bed.

Perhaps a brace would help. Just my 2 cents. :|
  • I've thought about wearing my brace to bed (I just have a soft corset brace).

Going to call my doc's office now, see what they think it may be. Thanks for your $.02 :)
    Jan 2009 L5-S1 ALIF
  • advertisement
  • You make some interesting points -
    Muscles waking up - that was my initial thought, since I have been a mess for so long with the nerve pain, who knows what else was going on that I could not feel or what was compensating for what.
    Stride: Its worse on stairs and hills, and with longer strides. Normal strides, less so.

I suspect there is some imbalance, though I am feeling some ache on the right as well. My paranoia is blood clots in my legs, and fear of not moving enough.

I suppose I am just like everyone else post op, wondering "am I doing this right" or did I just screw up" or what is this weird pain"??

Walking with short strides feels great. Currently doing 2 walks a day, will focus on the short strides :)))
    Jan 2009 L5-S1 ALIF
  • I am beginning to believe that the way that I sleep (side, back, other side) is causing my sore hip issues as well. I had a PLIF (L5-S1) 8 weeks ago and for the past 2.5 weeks I have had a terrible pain in the hip and tailbone that hurts every night, when I get out of bed in the morning and after sittng awhile. The doctor prescribed a cortosteroid today to help reduce the inflammation that may be causing the pain. If it hasn't gone away in days then I'm supposed to call and get an exray.

After 1 week post ALIF I would think that you are doing pretty good. I felt pretty good at 5 weeks, but seem to have taken a few steps backwards lately.

I wish I could tell you how to sleep to reduce the pain, but I am still at a loss. I'm sure we'll figure it out in time though.

Take care and hang in there.
  • I always used to sleep on my side or stomach when I was younger, then I had various issues (broken leg, dislocated arm - twice) so I learned to sleep on my back. After my lumbar fusion I continued to do so. Since I started to use a memory foam mattress topper, I feel like I have been sleeping on a cloud, and bounce out of bed like I have not been able to for many years. You may want to try it (sleeping on your back on a memory foam topper).

Kin
  • advertisement
  • I always used to sleep on my side or stomach when I was younger, then I had various issues (broken leg, dislocated arm - twice) so I learned to sleep on my back. After my lumbar fusion I continued to do so. Since I started to use a memory foam mattress topper, I feel like I have been sleeping on a cloud, and bounce out of bed like I have not been able to for many years. You may want to try it (sleeping on your back on a memory foam topper).

Kin
  • I didn't hear back from the nurse practitioner today; I napped in my brace and will try sleeping in it tonight. Mattress - could also be a factor, my mattress has a "pillow top" which has always been comfy but maybe not supportive enough now...

Also occurred to me that with the restored disc height/space between the vertebrae, maybe that is influencing the ache... will keep calling them tomorrow...
    Jan 2009 L5-S1 ALIF
  • either slept in my recliner (which kept me from moving easily) or used a Comfort U Pillow, which was quite huge and went all the way from the front, under my neck and then to the back. Individual pillows would move and not keep me from twisting. The pillow was pricey but so comfy.

Good luck!

Cheri
  • After my surgery I found it really difficult to sleep. The first few weeks in hospital were fine as I was too afraid to move in case I fell out of bed. I used to get out ogf bed to change position LOL
    Once I was home and in a bigger bed I found myself in all sorts of weird positions. The PT said that twisting wan't such an issue in bed as the rods and screws hold everything in place and there is no weight on the spine.
    I also had to have a lot of PT to learn to walk again without limping or leaning to the side as I had done for years.

The next few months will be full of a lot of ups and downs but you will get there. Just be patient.
    Blessings Sara O:)
  • I did finally get a hold of my doctor's office today, and they said the hip ache was not uncommon and not to worry. As for cause, could be any number of things; she did say to call if it gets worse, so I will monitor over the weekend.

She also said I should not sleep in the brace, and not wear it TOO much, or the core muscles will atrophy. I forgot about that. Would not want all of my pre-op Pilates to be for nothing. :)))
    -Melissa

Jan 2009 L5-S1 ALIF
advertisement