Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

We're building a better forum experience with you in mind. Beginning June 26, 2019, all Veritas Health forums will move to forum.veritashealth.com.

Learn More

Getting the Microdiscectomy done tomorow!!!

Comments

• Black95gt,

I'm glad to hear you are doing so well. I am planning on doing the same surgery as you. All you symptoms are exactly what I am going through. I wish you continued success in your recovery and I am curious to monitor your progress. Best of luck! Brian
  • Thanks Brian. Good luck to you as well. Im anxious to get to the "fully" recovered period and then see how my 2 lower back discs respond to full activity. The doc wanted to do a lumbar fusion but i said no-way. But i am very happy so far with my procedure. I will try and write a daily or bi-daily progress report.
  • advertisement
  • I'm glad you're doing well. Like wow. Very encouraging to others. I hope you do well with your healing and thanks for the update. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Thanks Charry. Its day 5 and still doing great. Ive completely stopped the pain meds at this point and have no pain at all. Very light discomfort getting up off the couch. Im doing most chores around the house that dont require lifting. Ive decided im going back to work tomorow. I dont see the point in me staying home when i feel fine. i think im probably to the point now where i just have to be carefull on how i bend and lift. I will definitly be taking it slow and easy until i see the doc next Thursday which will have been 2 weeks post OP. I plan on working half the time sitting and half the time standing with a 4-5 minute walk around the building every hour or so.
  • Its been 1 week post op today. I returned to work yesterday and still feeling great. I alternated standing and sitting at work and seemed to work ok. Took short walks every now and again. After work i went to the bowling alley to give my team an update on my status and then to the local boys basketball game. Standing the whole time. Today i am a little stiff and tight but not sore. its been 2 days since i last took any pain meds and doing all right. I go back to the doc in a week to get the stitches removed and assume he will put me in PT at that time. I havent done anything yet, but i would really like to start stretching. my leg and glute muscles are really tight.
  • advertisement
  • I signed up to this site partly to comment on several topics but mostly to respond to you. As the last poster said "Please don't over do it".
    I had my discectomy 10 weeks ago (L4/L5 both sides, and L5/S1 on the left) and right after surgery I was almost pain free. I took it easy for 4-6 weeks, but then did a little too much and paid for it for over a week. I have noticed pain back in my left hip and leg, although nothing like before. I have noticed that many people also share the same reoccuring pain so I'm not totally paniced...yet. The nuerosurgeon isn't worried, and said all is going about normal. It seems like it is taking forever.

I also found myself in a bowling alley just to watch, but left when I had an urge to play. Looking forward to tennis, golf, bowling, etc., but would extremely advise waiting. You do remmember what the pain before surgery was like?? Not worth it to risk going back.

• 94pete, That was good advice for everyone. If the doctor has restrictions after surgery then you should follow them or you could be right back where you started. That pain is just not worth it. I remember it too well.
  • Its been 12 days post op now and still doing good. I have gained my muscle control in my calf muscle and the numbness in my foot is very mynute now. Im really feeling great as i can sit longer and the aching i had from walking is gone. Im still not lifting or bending and will not until i see the doc on Thursday and wait for his go ahead opinion. So far it was a great procedure besides the hassle i now have to deal with the insurance company
  • You are one of the lucky ones. I am so happy for you and a little bit jealous that I haven't had the same quick recovery that you have. I hope you continue to get better each day.
  • Im sorry yours hasnt gone as well as mine. I am greatfull for the results i have gotten as i dont remember the last time i felt this great. I wish you well on your recovery.

I went in for the post-op check up today and got the stitches taken out. Thank god, them things where itching like crazy. The doc said that everything is good and there is no pain or aches that i am free to go on to my normal life activities and back to normal lifting and bending. He said that through research and studies have shown that you can do the same 2 weeks after the surgery as you can 2 months after. He said to avoid runnig if possible unless its just a short cardio workout and even then recomended the eliptical. He said i could go back to strength training but no military press, hang cleans or squats. I can go back to bowling, golf, and run a snowblower if it snows. He set me up for PT and said i had to go at least once to get the excersise program to strengthen my core and stretch my muscles out and said i need to bond religiously to the program for the rest of my life. I will probably do a couple months worth of therapy since ive now met my out of pocket maximum, so i might as well take advantage of it.
advertisement