Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Getting the Microdiscectomy done tomorow!!!

Comments

• You are so lucky! I saw in your earlier posts that you had weak calf musle. Did your strenth returned? when? Could you do a toe rises? Heel walking? How long did you had weakness before the surgery?
  • i have been quite fortunate thus far. I dont know about the heel walking, but i couldnt do even the slightest toe raise. After i blew the disk out to the point of not being able to walk hardly, thats when the calf went weak and foot numb. So it was like that for about 1 month prior to surgery. I noticed i was able to do a toe raise again on Wed. exactly 2 weeks post op. All i gotta say is i wouldnt wish this upon anybody and those who have experienced or are experiencing this, i pray for a fast recovery. Outside of some devastating disease or cancer, i cant imagine there is much worse than having severe sciatica for several months.
  • advertisement
  • Black95gt, How is your foot numbness? I just wondered if it is improving since your surgery and it has completely went away.
  • I still have foot numbness and the doc said it could be a couple of months before it goes away. Some days its better than others but it doesnt bother me to bad
  • I look forward to reports on your progress since your symptoms were so much like mine. I go next wednesday for my first follow up to my neurosurgeon. It will be 4 weeks since my microdiscectomy, I didn't have stitches to be removed. So it sounds like you are not completely without some pain/numbness. Keep us updated. I am sure that I am not the only one following your updates.
  • advertisement
  • Today is exactly 4 weeks since my microdiscectomy, and thank God I am doing well. I continued to feel a small amount of sciatica for the first 2 or 3 weeks(mainly at night for some reason), about 1 out of 10. Now I am almost totally pain free. I still have a bit of numbness in my left foot. Also, the strength of the toes in my left foot is not as much as in my right foot.

My doctor recommended staying away from PT for the first 2 months. Also, he recommended returning to work only after 4-5 weeks of rest.

I'm happy & encouraged to hear about your wonderful progress, but I can't help worrying that perhaps you're getting back into things a bit too quickly. The mere thought of bowling scares the hell out of me. You certainly don't want to reinjure yourself.

In any case, good luck & take care.
  • Its been just over 3 weeks since the procedure now and im still doing well. I started PT today and we are just doing stretching for the first week. The PT was amazed at how fast ive recovered. Anyways, im back to work in the field surveying and went back to bowling. The numbness in my foot is all but gone. Still some very light numbness if any at all. I will at times have the shooting down my leg, but its not painfull but a mere reminder. i asked the PT about this and he said this is normal, although in most cases actual pain as the nerve adjusts and heals. I notice this for just awhile after doing my stretches. So we are going to do stretching for this week and next week get me doing core strengthening with the excersise ball. He also wants me to start doing a good cardio workout, but no running. I will be starting that this weekend with light weight lifting.
  • Yor should be poster boy for microdiscectomys. I am like Don about the thought of bowling scaring the hell out of me. Heck, the thought of driving a car scares me. Please be careful, you can reinjure yourself. Keep us updated on your progress with PT. I look forward to being to that point of healing.
  • I agree with sandy nurse. According to just about every medical journal article, it takes up to three months for the annular tear to heal itself and close up after a surgery. This is also the period where a reherniation is most likely to occur if it ever will. That is, if you get by three months without reherniating the disc, your chances of having a recurrent herniation is drastically decreased.

So, do yourself a favor and continue to take it easy for another two months. I don't see bowling as too much of a problem so long as you keep good form, just remember that you may feel like a million dollars, but there is still a tear in the disc's annulus, and until it's completely healed you're not out of the clear. As I have read, even the slightest bulge will prevent the annulus from ever truly healing, and if it never heals, your chances of a reherniation are that much higher.
  • Its now been almost 1 month and a week since the micro has been done. I went to my second Physical Therapy session late last week and was put on the excersise ball for core strengthening. So i have been doing them as well as my stretches and am scheduled to go back in on the 16th for my last session. The PT doesnt think i need to go anymore and just wants me to continue to do my core excesises daily for awhile and then i can back off to a few times a week which he recomended doing the rest of my life. So far everything is positive. my leg strength has been back for awhile and i now have no numbness in my foot. My leg muscles are still tight and become sore after workouts and long use. Other than that i am essentially at a pain level of zero. my right leg and butt muscle does still hurt if i sit on a hard chair, or let my legs hang with my feet not touching the floor. Not sure if this is because the muscles are tight or if it is the nerves. but i can live with that
advertisement