Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Post Surgery - beyond physical pain!

advertisement

Comments

• Five weeks ago I had an ALIF on the L5/S1 discs. I had made big plans to de-clutter the house, countertops, closets, drawers, etc., and have a garden - next year. After reading these posts, I'm wondering if I'll ever be able to do those things. I realize that I can't do any of that now, but I thought I'd be able to within a year. I hae a hard time contemplating that I might have to make a new plan.

Rusty
  • I think my biggest fear is the unknown if spinal stenosis. What is the outcome? How long will it be before I am in a wheelchair with this? I know no one knows this but it feels like it is out there and I'm only 65. After my laminectomy recently now I have groin pain that is preventing me from walking. How long will this last? Should I switch docs? Go to a neurosurgeon? Too many questions ? Too confusing? What about the pain? Was prescribed lyrica but have read so many side effects. Have done injections and ablutions no longer effective so had surgery with fusion and decompression. I need a plan of action!!
  • advertisement
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,269
    I had a laminectomy to correct severe Lumbar spinal stenosis L2-L5 back in March 2016.  My back is so much better now, better than it has been in years (since I've been dealing with stenosis)   So, that condition is behind me now, as it should be for any patient that has the proper surgery.

Nerve pain still lingers, that might not disappear for another 6 to 9 months.  It takes a long time for nerves to heal.  My drop right foot has been worse since the surgery, but in time, as the nerves start to heal that will improve also.

Question, why are you thinking of switching doctors?  Do you feel that the surgeon who did your laminectomy did something wrong?
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • My greatest fear is what does the future hold, and I am by no means a severe case. My herniation was complete (large free fragment), and the short 4 month road to surgery was hell on Earth... but my general disc health is very good (not fibrous and dry, but still gelatinous). Do I take my general disc health as a catalyst for getting back to physical activity, or do I preserve it and live cautiously.

Post-surgery, my depression is gone - but frustration is what I need to keep a handle on. I so badly want to run, play soccer with my kids and paint the rooms in my home.

advertisement
This discussion has been closed.