Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Anyone have a myelogram cause lasting problems??

sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,360
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Spinal Injections
Hi. I had a myelogram done three weeks ago today. I had it done on my cervical spine. When the dye was first injected it caused my lower back to throb...really low next to and down into my butt. (No other way for me to say it) I was not having any problems in that area. I told the doctor who was doing it that it hurt there and he said that the dye was causing it. Well, last week, I went to my neurosurgeon for the results (whole 'nother story) and asked her about my back. She said sometimes the dye irritates the nerves and it takes them a while to settle down. Just how long do you think it should take?? It hurts when I'm walking, it hurts if I sit awhile. It just aches down into my butt and hips. Have any of you had any experience with this or any suggestions? Also, can nerve damage be done during this procedure and if so how long will it last? Debbie
advertisement

Comments

• sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,360
    Has anyone else had any problems like this? I was riding in the car for about 1 1/2 hrs. today and it hurt me terribly just sitting there.
    Well, it's been four weeks today. I'm still having pain and today my legs started hurting and shaking after going for a walk. Now as I sit here, my lower back aches. Anyone have ideas or suggestions. Today I had the phone in my hand ready to call my dr. but thought what's the use?
  • advertisement
  • I just called the Dr who did my Myelogram because we talked alot about the headache but NEVER did he mention the back pain that I would have. It hurts all the way down my back and into my leg all the way to my feet. I'd like to know if any of you have found any resolution to your pain as I don't expect an answer from this doctor today since it's Saturday. Other than this the Myelogram went quite well.
    When did you have the myelogram? I'm sorry you're suffering with this too. It's been about seven weeks since I had mine and I'm in terrible pain today still. It feels like I have a vice around my lower back and hips and my legs get so weak and trembly I can't stand or walk for very long. Please if you or anyone can help let me know. I don't think I can take much more of this. My doctors can't agree on what to do so I just suffer and wait.
  • I'm here also to get answers on why I'm having alot of pain after having a myelogram. It's been 2 years since I've had it done and I still can't walk long distances or stand long. Besides this, I've lost my job of 23 years, because I can't preform my job duties anymore. :<
  • advertisement
  • I had a myelogram in June this year. I am still having pain in lower back and down left leg all the way to my foot at times. I've talked to my doctor about it but he says since my original injury was my neck and it is a wc case it would be hard to prove to them that it was the myelogram that is causing this pain. I can't wait to get out of wc and be able to make my own decissions about my care. I also had a spinal fluid leak after the myelogram and had a blood patch performed to stop it. I wish knew what to do to convince the dr to check this out. Any suggestions?

I know exactly how you're feeling. I'm still having the same problems and the myelogram was in Jan. My GP did agree with me that something went wrong during the test and finally ordered a lumbar mri. They said it only showed tarlov cysts in my sacral spinal canal but they say they don't cause pain. After that he more or less acted like I'm crazy and gave up on trying to find out what's wrong. I haven't been to him or another doctor since August because I was only getting the run around. It makes me so mad knowing that is what caused this and no one cares or will try to find a solution to it. I guess one good thing is it distracts me from my cervical pain sometimes anyway. (real funny eh?) I hope you can find someone to help you. They did say the dye may have irritated some nerves. I don't know how long it'll take them to calm down. My nerves must be really peeved!
    Good luck,
    Debbie
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,304
    in the past (1974-1982) The fist set were the type where you could not put your head down.. You had to keep your head up or you would get terrible headaches..
    The other sets were the type you have to keep your head up.. If you put your head down you would get those terrible headaches.
    Why the difference ? I dont know. But I never had problems after any of those tests.
    But Debbie, I have heard some horror stories about people who have had the myleogram and had problems afterward. It was almost a case of a spinal leak.
    I wish I could provide you with some more info, but thats all I have for now
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • I know what you mean about it distracting from the neck pain,shoulders and arms..it sucks! I did do some research though and the dye can irritate the nerves and cause something called "arachnoiditis" I don't know if it is this or not that is casing the pain but after reading about it it sure sounds like it could be. I know about that awful headache after having the myelogram the spinal fluid leak caused. My dr is a 3 hr drive by the te I got home I thought my head was going to explode. That was on a Monday by Thursday I could not move. I kept reading the discharge instructions thinking there would be something in them telling me to call in case of headache but there was't so I thought it was coming from my neck. Anyway my brother in law is a dr he called Thursday to check on me and said "call the dr right now you have a spinal fluid leak" I took his advise and the next morning I had to go back to the hospital 3 hrs away for the blood patch!
    I wish I could help you. I know how frustrating this is.
    How is your neck doing now? I hope that at least is better?
    If you'd like to discuss this more feel free to pm me anytime. I know that this isn't a common occurance after a myelogram. Most people have no problems other than the headaches. That's bad enough!

Debbie
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.