Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Anyone have a myelogram cause lasting problems??

Comments

• jsch13jjsch13 Posts: 1
    edited 07/18/2015 - 9:19 AM
    hello all.

i had a ct myelogram in october 2014.

upon insertion of the needle for the local anesthetic, i had pain in my lower back and right hip. then upon insertion of the needle with the dye, i had immediate pain from my lower back, right hip - down my leg to my toes. felt like someone stuck my toes in power sockets and turned the electricity on high. the pain went straight from the needle and down to my toes.

it is now february 2015, i had an mri since this mylogram, and the report says i have sacral tarlov cysts, along with multiple bulging disks.

unfortunately i have never had pain like this in my lower back and right leg. before the procedure i could drive, and walk as a normal person. today, i am limping, and only have a set number of steps in a day i can take without my back, hip, leg, foot, toes, going completely numb to the point where i cannot get around.

i am barely able to do anything, and i am a 32 y/o male, with 4 prior cervical procedures all at c5-6, and c6-7. never had any lower back pain prior.

if anyone has any suggestions, or treatments that help them please let me know. i feel all of your pain!

kindly,
    jr.

welcome to spine-health
    please click link for helpful information!
  • I had a Myelogram with CT on L4 yesterday and the first needle stick caused severe pain on right leg all the way to my toes!!! It was pain like I've never experienced before and I've had 9 back surgeries. I'm still experiencing severe pain today!!! Eating oncogene for pain it doesn't elevate all the pain. How long will I continue to have this pain?????
  • advertisement
  • kwitthauerkkwitthauer Posts: 1
    edited 07/18/2015 - 9:20 AM
    i had my procedure almost 2 years ago. i have had a headache since then yes 2 years. i was hospitalized the day after the test with cerebral edema caused by the cy myelogram. the doctors have told me this would go away but its not. has any one else had this happen? if so how did the doctors "fix" the headaches and how long did it take?

welcome to spine-health
  • AugustWest419AAugustWest419 Posts: 1
    edited 07/18/2015 - 9:21 AM
    prior to my l4/5 fusion in 2007, i had six epidural injections, with the last one, they attempted to go in from the side, since there was no relief the other way. the doctor hit the nerve and of course blamed me. fast forward to june 2014, while out running, i felt like i was shot behind the ankle. primary doctor originally diagnosed it as a torn achillies after a few squeezes and sent me to pt , where they noticed a small lump on my heel. was sent out to ortho who basically did the same massage test and said it was a calf strain. he said i should take off the cast and deal with the pain, it would be better in 3 weeks. having played rugby for 15 years, i know what a muscle stain is... and this ain't it! anyway, about a week or so later, when i awoke in the a.m., i stepped down onto what felt like a bunched up sock under my foot; quite odd, as i was barefoot. the odd sensation went away after a while, but later , when i put my shoe on and tried to walk, my right foot (the originally injured one) would cramp up, with the second toe straightening out and all other toes trying to tuck underneath. i was eventually told to put my cast back on. this helped with the cramping in the foot, but all of the sudden, i was having odd sensations in my lumbar area and began having difficulty getting around. eventually, a second ortho sent me for a myleogram, since "there was still hardware in there from the fusion". i believe the dye injection was around l2 and as soon as he started pushing the fluid in, i got an intense pain in my left (opposite side) hip and felt it going down my leg, through the knee. it was painful enough that i actually said something, but was told it is normal and he just had to get a little more in. after the required time on my back to prevent the headache, i was allowed to get up to use the restroom. at that time, i basically had no feeling in my left leg from my hip past my knee. the nurse immediately contacted the doctor, who again said this was normal.
    as i sit here today, nearly 14 months post injury, having been on crutches for over a year, the inability to straighten my leg as well as the ongoing spasticity in the left leg, as well as no dorsiflexion still in my right foot from whatever the original injury was. i am basically a 43 y.o male who went from the peak of fitness to not being able to take any more than two wobbly steps at a time because my legs don't work properly and my balance is off.
    anyone else still having ongoing problems? similar problems?

welcome to spine-health
  • I had a CT myleogram in March. Surgery in June for a bone spur removal and fusion. When the neurosurgeon opened my up he found that my spinal nerves had come through the puncture hole and fused together. I spent a month in the hospital for pain control. Two months post surgery I have excruciating back pain and numbness in both thighs. The doctor tells me this will most likely never go away.
  • advertisement
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.