Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

I need reassurance...

Comments

• Geer9d, I am really glad you made this post because I had surgery less than two weeks ago and I have been having similar concerns. Reading all these posts by people who have had been through surgery and who all say to be patient gives me encouragement too! haglandc's point about the steroids and inflammation makes a lot of sense, and cherish22's warning about not overdoing it is a good reminder.

Thanks all!
  • Hi, Geer...
    I had a microdiscetomy at the L4-L5 back in November. When I woke up out of my anesthesia I still had some pretty bad pain in my lower back/butt and down through my leg. Almost as much and in the same exact areas as before the surgery. I was really scared that the surgery hadn't worked and that I would have to live with this pain and walk around like Quasimoto for the rest of my life. But as I sat in the recovery area, the pain started to subside a little bit and eventually got to the point where is was barely notceable. Then I got up to go to the bathroom. On my way back from the bathroom, one of the nurses helping me asked if I could stand up straight as I was walking as I had been when I came in. I was a bit apprehensive but I tried it and, lo and behold, I could stand straight. For the first time in almost a year, I was able to stand up straight. Well I went home that day and over the next few days I got stronger but I kept feeling the occasional twinge in my leg. Plus my right foot was VERY weak. Since then, the pains have pretty much subsided and my foot has gotten stronger. The doctor said that my nerve was compressed so badly that it was roughed up pretty bad. Plus his moving it around may have caused the weakness in my foot. But, I'll tell ya, I'll take the occasional twinge of light pain and a weak foot any day over the relentless agony and sleeplessness I was experiencing prior to the surgery. It will get better. Maybe not 100%. But any improvement is better than no improvement at all. And don't be afraid to demand things from your doctor. YOU are the one paying HIM/HER the big bucks to make YOU better. Don't be afraid to ask questions and be a "pest." This is their job. You are the one who knows your body and when something isn't right. You just have to be able to convey that to your doctor. Have faith that your pain will go away. Thinking positively can only help. Good Luck!
  • advertisement
  • I have not had lumbar surgery but I just wanted to tell you to hang in there. If you read the forums no matter what surgery you have, it seems we all go through aches and pains during recovery. I wish you the best and hope you have a speedy recovery.