Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Scar tissue

Comments

• Sorry to hear you have it too and I understand why your doctors won't mess with your back anymore. I hope your meds continue to help you.

The scar tissue along with everything else, including the nerve damage makes it so difficult to even walk around. The pain is nonstop no matter what I do. I even hurt while laying down. I seriously mean it when I say I haven't had not one second of being pain free ever since I hurt my back.
  • accurascope dallas

hi all,
    i had the accurascope procedure sept. 24th, 09 in dallas and am doing great. although it is quite early after the surgery ( 9/28), i am pain free for the first time in years. my spine was in very bad shape so they weren't able to do as many levels as they had hoped ( did through l4) but i am never-the-less very pleased. my left side was far worse that the right and i am experiencing some weakness and numbness on the left which i am told will go away in the not to distant future. i have a follow up visit oct. 1 and will try to keep you posted with my progress.

update:

i am now a little over a week post op. and doing great. i will start physical therapy next week. this is needed because i have some weakness on my left side due to years of dysfunctional movement and nerve impingement and pt will help bring back correct usage.
    i asked the doc if he would be able to go back in at a later date to take care of l3 which he was not able to do in the surgery because of time constraints for the surgery process, the limitations on the amount of fluid replacement in the spine during the surgery and the extensiveness of my spinal issues. his response was that he felt he could go in again with success after a minimum 3 month healing time which would be the end of this year or the beginning of next.
    i do have severe facet joint problems which the accurascope cannot address. but nevertheless i am very happy with the results and have significant pain relief.
    the numbness on my left side is improving as is my motor function and am walking upright for the first time in years. how wonderful it is to be able to sleep again with no pain waking me up every hour. thank god for modern medicine.

you can follow my thread at:
    https://www.spine-health.com/forum/back-surgery-and-neck-surgery/accurascope-procedure#comment-126750
  • advertisement
  • Buckeye, I went to Dayton and he said he could remove my scar tissue with the laser, but because of the massive amount the laser was rendered useless and he backed out once he was in there and it didn't budge the tissue. He was unable to remove my scar tissue. He said my canal was completely blocked and my nerve was encapsulated. HE never diagnosed me with what I really have, which is FBSS AND Arachnoiditis. Arachnoiditis is incurable, can be progressive, and it has about ruined my life. I went from a bodybuilder/IT professional to a disabled 33 year old who lays down 99% of my day. The pain is unbearable, even with high doses of oxycontin, NSAIDS, etc.
    Well, it's been a couple weeks since I was officially diagnosed with Arachnoiditis, and the pain is non-stop, both legs, everyday, all day. I am getting a SCS soon. Waiting on insurance approval. I hope that helps. I am 33 and on long-term disability, and this disease is controlling my life. This condition creates such severe burning/stabbing/throbbing pain in my lower back, legs, and feet that each day is such a challenge, even laying down. Sitting is a huge proble. I only last a few minutes. It has robbed me of my career and I am single and live alone. I have trouble financially keeping up with my mortgage and other bills and am basically confined alone in this house (well I have a cat to talk to...lol). Cutting grass and other such maintanace chores I can no longer do.
    If u want some great doctors to read and really understand your MRI, go to the Cleveland Clinic. I am completely impressed with my new pain management doctor there, and I am getting solid answers, even though my outlook for the future looks grim.
    Good luck if you do get the laser procedure in Dayton. Maybe he will be able to remove yours, but he didn't budge mine whatsoever.
    Meydey, I heard that enzyme procedure to breakup the scar tissue has a low success rate. I hope if you get it or already have had it done, it was successful for you though.
    Epidural fibrosis is what my MRI report said (among many other things), but I ultimately have been diagnosed with Arachnoiditis, and it was completely explained as we examined the MRI pictures together in Cleveland.
    If you live in Ohio or not too far from Cleveland,Oh, I would recommend you contact them and get evaluated if you have any open questions about your conditions. They are EXCELLENT!!!
    I am a new member as of today, so hello everyone and I hope everyone finds the answers and treatments they need. :-)
    God bless everyone on here.
    JK
  • i am so sorry you have been diagnosed with arachnoiditis. i have to say that is the one thing i have been terrified ever since i first learned about it. and i ask about it with every procedure i get, but of course, they all say how uncommon it is, etc.

would you mind giving us a bit more background? what were you back issues that eventually resulted in arachnoiditis? are you familiar with this organization? https://www.cofwa.org/ it may be of some help to you.

i hope you will find some support on this board. and i'm glad you have found a pm doctor that understands your problems and knows how to deal with them. lots of doctors act like they've never heard of it.

gwennie
  • JK, I'm sorry to hear that Dr. R couldn't help you. I think he was able to get the scar tissue off my left side nerve root (it feels much better). My right leg though has some shin muscle weakness and some tingling in the toes as a result of the surgery. Sorta traded one thing for another, but I believe it is a net positive so far. I wish there was an answer for you JK. I would exhaust EVERY option, even the Pentafoxoline(sp?)/Vit E treatment we've discussed. It's worth a shot for you maybe.

~BB
  • advertisement
  • How are you? Any new ideas from the medical community that have been helping you? Did you look into the PTX/Vit E study at all?

Let us know how you are.

~BB
  • my chiropractor wants me to look into this. i have a disc herniation at L/5 S-1. :''(
  • I understand too well what everyone on here is going through, especially concerning the scar tissue issue. I have it too. It's been at least 8 years or more since I was diagnosed with at least one major nerve root being completely piched off fro scar tissue. No telling how much has grown since then? I have problems with my entire spine, it's a huge mess, but that darn area with the impinged nerve root? That can land me on my back (or side) all day and unable to move. It's unbearable! I've thought about having it removed but from what I've heard it just grows right back again, possibly even more. Who needs that? I'm at my wits end as for what to do at this point. I've been on the same dosag of Oxycontin for at least 5 years and my body has become so tolerant of it, it just doesn't work the way it used to. The Oxy has little effect on my pain, kinda like an aspirin nowadays. Of course my doctor wouldn't dare up my dosage of oxy, he's already unhappy at the level I'm on. Well, I just wanted to add my two cents and let everyone know that I too understand. We're in one heck of a situation here aren't we?
    My best to everyone on here at SH!
  • PTX/Vit E treatment? Please look into it. It may be a hail Mary pass, but it may be worth a shot. :/

~BB
  • I will! I need all of the input and information I can get. My current PM doesn't keep up with anything new, I've actually had to teach him a few things. Thank God that SH is here, I've learned so much and just getting support from everyone has made such a huge difference in my life. I haven't been here in awhile (bad depression) but I have suggested SH to a few other people I've met who are so lost and in pain.
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.