Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

xstop

Comments

• Thanks for all your comments. I'm going to be getting yet another opinion in a month or so, so I can ask about this then. I guess I'd be little concerned about durability of the device, but with my disc problem and the pain, I'm already living like someone over 50 in terms of physical activity unfortunately. I'll keep everyone posted if I learn anything else interesting when I see the next doc.
  • I just reviewed my medical records - part of the doc's reasoning in recommending xstop for me was to get some pressure off the disc, in addition to opening up some space for my nerve. He noted that some evidence from Europe showing xstop could be useful in treating discogenic pain (maybe that explains how you got it, Dorset Boy?).
  • advertisement
  • dcguy, my spinal surgeon was unkeen to go for a three level fusion given that I had not long turned 37 at the time as thesucess %age rates drop severely once you go for a 3 level fusion & he always said that the xstop would give me relief & space for the nerves & some flex at this level. db
  • Did you ask your dr. about the Aspin devise made by Lanx that I posted earlier? I know it hasn't been out long. So far week#2 post op no more leg pain.
  • ME
    as i have had a laminectomy and bilateral discectomy at 3 levels .and i have just found out that i have facet joint hypertrophy at all the surgical level i also have 2 bulge but at the moment the bulges they are not in to the central spinal canal so they are not giving me any pain.however i do suffer with permanent pain from a damaged nerve root L5/S1 i think ..any one know whether i would be a suitable candidate? {seeing the consultant 18 may 09}
    STRAKER
  • advertisement
  • Straker only your NS or OS could answer that.
  • I didn't ask about lanx - i was just reviewing my medical records so I didn't have a chance to ask the doc any new questions (just making sure I understood what he said to me the first time around). I'm getting a second opinion in a few days so it'll be interesting to see if the other doc brings up interspinous spacers.
  • Boo hoo. I hate the thought of it!
  • The x-stop was invented in the US so I don't think that is the reason. As I believe we already discussed, it was developed for a limited group of people --

The reason it is not used more often is that not that many surgeons have been trained to install it. Is that the fault of the manufacturer or is the product not that useful?

from the manufacturer's website:

If you can answer yes to all of the following statements, you’re ready to take the next step.
    I am 50 years of age or older.
    I have been diagnosed with and suffer from the symptoms of lumbar spinal stenosis (LSS).
    My pain is relieved when I sit down or lean forward.
    I have been in treatment for LSS for at least 6 months.

Straker ~ I don't believe you would qualify. I think it is only used on people who have never had any back surgery.
  • Had X-Stop surgery 6 weeks ago. I am still having leg pain even after one injection. The nerve at L-4 must still be inflamed. Can not walk any distance at all without significant pain. Has anyone had the x-stop surgery procedure? If so, what has been the results? Did you suffer leg pain after surgery?
advertisement