Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

xstop

Comments

• The manufacturer's European website lists a number of uses other than stenosis, for which the device is approved in the United States.
  • i just had back surgery could not walk before now im mowing my lawn. it took 30 min was walking with in 6 hour of surgery went home next morning in 2 weeks i go back to work
  • advertisement
  • I had an X-stop inserted in L3/L4 a year ago last May.
    After 3 months I told my consultant I was still experiencing similar symptoms as before but less severe. He suggested it would take some time for the pain to subside. Last January the symptoms became severe and I m back where I started. I am having another MRI scan in 2 weeks to find out what is going on but it looks likely that apart from collapsed discs at L1/L2 and L2/L3 there is likley to be stenosis in this area. I am convinced I had stenosis in this area last year so I am not sure why my consultant felt content to just offer me the X-stop at L3/L4.
    At the time of my op I did some research and discovered that there was little known about the success rate of the X-stop as it was still relatively new but it appeared to have a similar success rate as a laminectomy. My consultant has told me that his experience is a success rate of up to 80% using a new modified X-stop.
    Of course the X-stop is less invasive than a laminectomy or fusion which is possibly why some surgeons prefer this procedure and it may be a cheaper option (being cynical). Also it is a reversable procedure. I did speak to a doctor while staying in India (I needed pain killers) and he told me that they do not advocate the X-stop procedure as they find it only gives temporary relief and that they then have to perform a laminectomy or more likely a fusion at a later stage on these same patients.

Unless I have missed some posts I have yet to find anyone who says that the X-stop has cured their symptoms completely or maybe they just don't bother to post anymore.
    I will listen to my consultant but will need some convincing that another X-stop procedure will solve my problem.
  • maryjferekmmaryjferek Posts: 1
    edited 02/13/2013 - 12:35 PM
    Hi, this is a couple years later than these comments. I had the x-stop surgery done on 11/29/12 and had my almost 3 month with the surgeon today. I have a spondy at L4-L5 and stenosis and had been going for epidurals which always helped me. After I fell on the basement stairs I had a lot of pain. I read about the x-stop online and went to the only surgeon in my area that does it. After a new MRI I tried 2 epidurals to relieve the pain and at the second one the Dr. there told me flat out if he were me he would have the surgery, that he couldn't even do a nerve block for me as I had no space between those vertebrae.

I thought that like other surgeries I had (thumb joint replacements, carpal tunnel) I would have immediate relief but not so. Good days and bad days and the sciatic pain travels. But I just noticed I can sneeze and cough without the intense pain I had been having. Also he said that the nerves have memory and it will take time since it was compressed for so long.

Surgeon said I had a bad slippage and that he is happy I have gotten as much relief as I have. He is working with the 3rd variation on the spacer and uses synthetic bone to "crazy glue" it in. I haven't been able to take anti-inflammatories till today. He said that I can see relief up to a year and as the synthetic bone sets more there will be less and less slippage and I may have more relief. I can go back to my gentle yoga and no restrictions any more basically.

I'm very happy so far. I still can't sit on anything soft but he said that there is nothing else on the MRI that should be affecting the sciatic nerve so I can wait, I can go for another epidural and now there is space for that Dr. to do it where he needs to, he gave me a script for Neurontin if I want to try that.

Honestly, getting up and moving the first hour or so is the worst but so far I see improvement. He said it was a 25 minute surgery vs. a 4 hour one for the work I would have had to have done otherwise so to me it is worth trying.

I should say I am 57. It was an outpatient procedure. I don't think its cheap as the hospital bill that came to me listed it at $33K ( I don't have to pay that, just my deductible).
advertisement