Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Does anyone have a success story???

buckeyebackbbuckeyeback Posts: 384
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Sounds like everyone on here has a minor back surgery (possible oxymoron) then gravitates toward a multi-level fusion and constant pain. I'm aware that those who are back to "normal" after surgery aren't on these boards, but geeze,...doesn't anyone get on here and discuss their long term success story? Just wondering.
advertisement

Comments

• I can say I am 1 month post-op PLIF L2-L5 and a total successs at every level. No pain, in therapy making leaps of advancement and march 13th Ill find out if I am fusing.

• Here is a success story for you. In June 07 I ruptured l5-s1, had a discectomy and unfortunately reruptured 4 weeks later. Had a one level fusion and that was a success, totally fused, etc. However, I had pain from top of butt, to back of knee for the next year and a half. Just finally had a METREX system surgery 3 weeks ago to remove scar tissue from the nerve and it seems to be a success. I still have the occasional flare up but it settles down after a bit. The episodes are getting further between. It took going to a different surgeon to finally have someone listen to me and do something for me, but it finally has a good outcome. I had every diagnostic test AFTER the fusion to try figure out what the cause of the pain was, myleogram, discogram, injections (7), emg test, MRI (2) etc, etc, etc. Thank God my original surgeon finally referred me to a different surgeon, within 2 months of my first visit, he had done yet another injection basically as a diagnostic took, got his answer and I had surgery on Feb 9th this year. There is an end to it, so hopefully this will help someone hang in there a bit more.
    Good to see Dilauro and C still here, going to check out and see who is still around from the "Old days"
    Hugs
    amber
  • advertisement
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,526
    If you look at the total picture, you will find that there are many more success stories regarding spinal surgeries.
    Many members who register here might not always have the same opinion. But keep in mind, that this is a percentage of people that have good surgeries
    Search on Success and you will find scores of posts where people had surgery and they are doing so much better
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • I haven't had surgery. There are many of us here who haven't had surgery and are hopefully temporarily disabled. I've been out with a back injury for a year so far. I've worked for 28 years and this is my only major set back. I'm here to hear of how others are coping as well as give and receive support to others who have had surgery and not. It's great to hear success stories and back to work. There are probably hundreds of people who were here don't come here anymore and are healing well. But this happens to be the time for us.
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I was a buckeye 90-95. I'm feeling better. The recovery is just a heck of a lot slower than I would like.
  • advertisement

• I appreciate your postings everyone. It sounds like the healing process is much more cumbersome than I was expecting. A year to heal is not that uncommon I suppose. I just wish this nerve tingling/aching would diminish some so I would know I am getting better.

Hello fellow Buckeye alum (cbskibum)! You must've taken quite a spill. Where were you skiing when you had your accident? Is your leg pain finally subsiding?
  • How did you rerupture your disc? Rerupturing or reherniating a disc is a big fear of mine.
  • 360 fusion with hardwear and artificial disc replacement in November 2008. I am back to work and feel terrific. I can't wait to return to all the activities I had to give up because of the years with back pain. Summer is coming so I am really looking forward to swimming, biking, motorcycling, etc... I have so much life to live and thank God I get that chance! Good Luck to everyone...
  • Good evening all,

I'm not what I would call a long term success story, but I'm getting there.

I had a l4/l5 l5/s1 discectomy and laminectomy on July 11th, 2008. After several months of a few problems, P.T. and finally getting back into the gym, I'm doing pretty good right now. I don't think I'll ever get back to 100%, but as of now I feel I'm in the 80-85% range. Using a stomach cruncher and a lower back specific machine at my gym, I feel I'm getting better by the week. I have occasional stiffness and pain (like a joint needs loosened up, probably a 2 on the 10 scale), have started jogging and using a bike to keep things going.

So fear not, there are success stories out there.

Dan
  • I moved to Colorado for work just after school and ended up in Crested Butte until last year. The picture posted here is the cliff I fell off. It was a pretty sweet powder day before the fall. The name of the run was "sockittome." A pretty technical run, I skied probably 50 times. I olnly fell ONCE.

Slowly my leg pain is subsiding. Sitting is pretty tough for me after surgery. Mostly the pain is just in my big toe now so thats a big improvement and even that is starting to fade.

Although a couple of weeks ago my Dr Precribed Nerontin. I could either be healing or the meds. Either way I feel quite a bit better.

Hope your feeling better.
advertisement