Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Paying someone to take care of me

advertisement

Comments

• I started having mild right side pain about 3 weeks after surgery. It lasted for about 2 weeks, off and on, but it seems to be gone now. I had another MRI done, and I will find out tomorrow if there is a problem there or not.

Definitely call your doctor and ask if that is normal for your situation. It was sort of expected for me, because of the way my disk was torn, but everyone is different. It might be nothing, but it would be better to get your doctor's opinion as soon as possible.

Gwennie17 gives excellent advice, you should try what she suggests. I was set up like that for a couple of weeks and it worked very well.

But, if it makes you feel more comfortable absolutely hire someone to stay with you until you are ready to be by yourself. You will probably be ready sooner than you think. My husband stayed with me for 5 days. I didn't need him to do anything for me, but I don't have any family near me either so I felt better knowing he was there just in case.

I hope your recovery goes well! Hang in there and keep posting.

• I had a three-level spinal fusion and was home alone -- I live by myself. Keep the doors locked, don't try to get up and answer the door if someone comes, just take it easy. I did just fine without anyone there to help me. Yes, I used a cane for balance and I made sure I didn't do any bending, lifting, or twisting, but you can have your husband do any of that stuff when he gets home from work.

Linda

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • advertisement
  • I had my mom and MIL stay with me the first 2 weeks after my fusion. It was really hard during the first few days and I always recommend having someone in the house with you. I had one stupid accident where I fell on top of my walker after my first back surgery (micro-d). Totally sucked. It would have been disastrous if I was alone. People heal at different rates and some have a harder time than others. It sure is better having someone to keep you company because it is a moral booster.
  • when did the Fentanyl start kicking in? I wore mine for 5 days and got no results. The Zanaflex made so sick, I thought I needed to go to the emergency room. My ear was ringing and heard my hair move. I know it sounds weird. It like was tripping on acid. I haven't found a muscle relaxer that works for me.
advertisement