Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!


Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

neural foraminal stenosis and nerve root impingement

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,321
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I have been diagnosed with Cervical neural foraminal stenosis and nerve root impingement at 2 levels and have had repeated epidural injections and one radio frequency ablation treatment. All of these have lost their effectiveness and I am suffering severe pain in my neck, shoulders, arms and hands. 2 pain management docs and my surgeon have said surgery is next. The problem is I had abdominal surgery in 2001 found I had contracted MRSA. A large abcess developed in surgical area. I am afraid of the upcoming surgery as it is involving the cervical spine and will be so close the base of my brain. What should I do?
Am I worrying needlessly? I understand once you have MRSA it is always colonized in your body and will return. It was nearly fatal the first time. Help!


  • Im also to scared to get surgery and MRSA is just another factor stenosis really sucks.
  • I'm sorry to hear that. I hope you get a couple of opinions and thoroughly go over your treatment plan with your Dr explaining all the risks involved. Perhaps the Dr will start you on antibiotics before surgery this time. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • advertisement
  • I assume that you have told the surgeon about having MRSA.What did he tell you? The pain that your in isn't going to get any better its just going to get worse.Trust in your surgeon and do as much research as you can.Get another opinion if your not comfortable with what your surgeon is telling you. Good luck with your decision.
  • I do not have much stenosis in the main spinal canal. For that I am thankful. It is at C5-6 and C6-7 level, stenosis in the foramin where main nerve trunks go to my arms and hands. Good luck to you. Have you had MRSA in the past?
  • Yes, I have explained my reservations because of having MRSA present in my body. Dr. is sympathetic to my wish to delay surgery and try pain control. I have had epidurals so frequently that they are losing effectiveness. Will see what I can do with meds and pt, massage, etc. I know that surgery is inevitable but want to wait as long as I can.
  • advertisement
  • At the hospital where I just had my surgery, in order to try and prevent MRSA and other types of infection I had to use something called Hibiclens a few days before my surgery and had to shower with it the morning of my surgery. I believe its an anitbacterial scrub that Drs use to scrub.

    So hospitals are taking precautions. Not sure if your hospital is the same I have been told not all hospitals do this.
This discussion has been closed.
Sign In or Register to comment.