Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

We're building a better forum experience with you in mind. Beginning June 26, 2019, all Veritas Health forums will move to forum.veritashealth.com.

Learn More

7.5 Months Post Op Report - a success story

saltzworksssaltzworks Posts: 1,032
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi Everyone!

I just had my NS apt. yesterday and I officially got a 'You're doing better than most in your recovery' comment from the dr.

I am back to the weight I was 2 years ago when I first went to the NS (which is still 15 lbs over what I was before the accident - but I've lost the 20 lbs I put on while I was off work)

I've not needed any prescriptions and am only taking Tylenol.

Apparently I have Peek cages - which is allowing some flexibility in the spine - this is really good for trying to keep my L3 from going out in the near future.

The only thing that is really a pain right now (other than the atrophy that I exercise for) is that he said I'm going to probably need to have my hardware removed.

THAT was a shocker.

I really want to KEEP my hardware. It makes me feel safe.

It is causing a catch in my back though. He pushed on the spot I'm having trouble with and said he thinks it's a screw head that is catching on the muscle. It gives me a pretty major backache everyday - I'll just have to see where I am at in July when I go back.

He prescribed a Tens unit, told me to move to just home stretching instead of a PT and forgot to change my restrictions (I'll call on that on Monday).

And that's my success so far story :)
advertisement

Comments

• I will be having 2 level fushion on April 9 and need a little encouragement from someone who has been there. Appreciate the positive message
  • Are you having S1-L4 done? That was my 2 level - a very common one.

One comment from my dr. - 'a positive attitude makes a bigger difference than you would normally think'

It made me feel like my 'forced positive no matter what' look at life was a very very good thing.

Best of luck on the 9th - I remember the pre-op days, my blood pressure (stress levels) was out of control!

• advertisement
  • That is what I am having. My surgeon has already commented on my positive attitude and how it will make things easier. My stress is more work related because they don't appear to understand that I am not doing this for laughs. Kind of sad isn't it?
  • I really appreciate reading success stories while in recovery. Being flat on my back most of the time can make me stir crazy, since I am always usually on my feet.

I am happy to hear that you are doing so well. Best wishes!
  • Oh- you reminded me of what my co-workers are saying now!

I get SO many comments now on how much better I move! It was a surprise to me to hear it - I am one of those people who try to hide their pain and hate it when people ask me how I am doing (who wants to hear it - I mean seriously??! They don't mean it, it's just a reflex question - ah, but I digress)anyway... in some ways it's sad to know that I was not hiding things well before, but VERY good to know that I am noticibly better now :)
  • advertisement
advertisement