Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

We're building a better forum experience with you in mind. Beginning June 26, 2019, all Veritas Health forums will move to forum.veritashealth.com.

Learn More

Having a laminetomy and fusin surgery in 4 weeks need any tips

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,082
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi I am having a laminectomy and fusion surgery in 4 weeks. I have 4 herniated discs, sponylothesis, spondysis, and narrowing of my spine. I am only 38 and feel way to young to feel this dang old. Any tips for recovery would be appreciated. Kelli
advertisement

Comments

• :H Welcome to the forum! I had same surgery with level one Spondy. My L4 L5 was fused and BMP used after disk was removed. I am 62 with severe Spinal Stenosis and severe DDD. I am recovering really good, I have a few aches and pains but that is only normal. :) I refused to allow the doctor to take bone from my hip. I was in the hospital for a week and used a walker and back brace going home. My sister who lived just across the street stayed with me for the first two weeks I needed her more for "just in case" because I was ok with doing for myself. I had a shower stool in the tub and my ba. rm. sink was beside the toilet so that helped me to get up and down on it. I also had a grabber incase I dropped something. I cleaned my entire apt. from head to toe before I went to the hospital and put things I needed everyday at a lower level. I am not allowed to this day to lift anything more then ten pounds, I'm not allowed to run,jump,jog, or do high impact aerobics. :''( That part I really miss! I ate lots of grapes because that's what helped me to get regular again and drank mucho water to flush it out with. I was in a ward while in the hospital and it was so noisy there! I'm one of those people who can hear a pin drop! I was so afraid for nothing because the surgery was not as bad as I thought it would be!

This forum helped me out so much, I will always be very grateful to the people here for all their help!!

Laters
    Evelyn :H
    Had PLIF in 2008 and a Laminectomy. One level fusion, L4-L5.
  • goodluck on your surgery!! i hope all goes well for you...take care....m
  • advertisement
  • I had a 4 level lumbar fusion in 2002 with rods and screws. Definetly need the slippery sheets and raised toilet seat. I was up and doing laundry (with the help of the grabit because bending was tough) 3 weeks after surgery. I was 43 at the time. Long road to recovery but the thing I did without fail was walk, walk, walk and then walk some more. Not fast, just at a pace that is natural. When I couldn't walk outside I walked on treadmill. I was walking 5-10 miles per day about a month after surgery.