Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Pets

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,578
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:28 AM in Depression and Coping

Any of you spinnys have a pet that helps you cope? I'm 2 wks post op from my surgery & my chocolate lab is my copeing buddy. He is 6yrs old & smart as a whip. He knows I'm in pain & he will not jump up on the bed until I am in & settled. He is always by my side & has alerted me to when I've droped something. He would have made a good dog for the handicapped. Hey I guess thats me right now. We go for a mile or two walk every day & he heels right by my side & never pulls on the lead. I cut him loose when we get to the BLM & the woods. In the past he would go exploring on his own, but now he doesn't get out of sight. With the wife at work all day he keeps my mind off my pain & I don't know how I would get along alone without him. I guess its true what they say about pets being therapeutic.
advertisement

Comments

• RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    hey tanker,
    there is a lot of truth to what you observe through your little buddy, they can sense a lot more of what is going on with you than you can imagine. That is why service dogs trained by Canine Companions, Leader Dogs for the Blind, and other organizations are so popular now. When you see a "working" service dog you can see how in touch they are with their partner. Take good care of your partner, he is your most loyal pal. All he requires is your love, affection, a warm safe place, some food, treats, and a belly rub!
    Take care,
    Ranger
  • Yes I have two 100 pound dogs, my wife calls them "daddy's dogs" because they never leave my side! They're both an endless source of love. Instead of jumping up, they walk up and lay their head on the bed. Always seems to be in just the right spot for me to be a sucker & love on 'em. I don't know what I'd do without my dogs!!

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/165744
    http://www.dogster.com/dogs/239352
  • advertisement
  • My little Mercster has been the best medicine of all. There have been times when I was so down, and Merc was the only one who could make me smile. He constantly keeps an eye on me and goes everywhere I go. When I'm sitting, he'll lay down so he's touching me so he'll know when I move if he falls asleep.

I truly believe that our little buddies can place such a big role in our healing.

Here's another thread where many people talked about their pets. My little guy is going to be 15 years old in April, so I know I don't have a lot more time with him, but he's healthy, happy and I'm very privileged to love him and be loved by him.

http://www.spine-health.com/forum/matters-heart/our-pets-love-we-share-now-and-when-they-pass-away
  • is 110lbs of Airdale, largest of the largest terrier line.
    Very, very loyal and loveable. He is approaching 11 and that is old for such a large dog. I often find myself saddened when I realize our time together is limited.
    So be it, For 10 years he as let my sons ride him, wrestle him and he has spent many, many, hours swimming at Deep Creek Lake in Maryland. This dog will swim, by himslef for hours on end! Want to see him happy? Ask him if he wants a biscuit or to "go to the lake".

Truly a good friend. almost always. as with all good friends they must sometimes test their boundaries!
  • Yup, I got 3 cats and they help me cope when they puke up their food either on the carpet, in their food bowl or on my bed (mostly hairballs) and then I gotta vacuum up cat litter & hair everyday not to mention washing the bedsheets everyweek with extra 'air dry' dryer loads with tennis balls prior to actually washing the sheets & bedcover to get as much hair off as possible. Then there's cleaning the 2 litter boxes everyday and changing them every week and then there's the dog (and it's hair) and cleaning up the dog poo in the yard.

Why can't cats wipe their feet when leaving the litter box?

Lotsa good opportunities to bend over, keep busy cleaning and of course the little bits about helping cope with the pain 'they' cause from having to clean/maintain them!
    ;>)

I won't go into the whole 'bathing' & blood on the walls thing (usually my blood) let alone trying to shave off fur knots (more blood, a tie between me and the cats) but I find if i bite down on the nap of their necks, it frees both hands for washing them - do this in the shower - a quick wash & rinse at the same time rather than reusing dirty water in the bathtub (they hate it when I turn the jacuzzi on!)...;>)
  • advertisement
  • Now thats funny right there Jim. Looks like your pets will save you from having to do any PT since your already strectching, bending, & lifting to strenthen your core mussels.
  • Two needy cats.. 8> ...wow, they have saved my life. Without them, things would be much harder. :) I am so greatful for the two furry little blessings!! :>

Love;
    Deebelle
    Lucie
    Abbie
  • I recently acquired a 5 year old Pekingnese and I fell instantly in love :X . She is spoiled however and it's either her way or the highway and I love that :> . Taz wants YOU to pick her up and put her on OUR bed :| . She knows when I won't and she'll jump up herself and cuddle at my feet. She is so friendly that whenever she greets people, she has excitement tinkles while she licks and runs around you like a tasmaninan devil :))) . Otherwise she is housebroken and my husband bathes her once a week to keep her clean <:P . Taz has a regal but loveable character and keeps me company all day I) .
  • I have three cats, each with thier own gifts and personalities. :)

VI (short for voice immodulation, a skit from SNL with Will Farrell) she is a seal point siamese and my sweetheart. Loud as h3ll too (thus the name).

Mack, named thus because he was found living in the engine compartment of a semi. Total Zen master. Black and white tuxedo. Does his own thing, but a sweet lover.

And Magellan, the explorer. Hubby found her trying to cross a busy street when she was still large enough to fit in the palm of your hand. No fear, at all. Black as pitch, with a tail like a squirrel, growls like a dog, meows like a wookie. Full of mischief and a total shapeshifter.

I love all of my kitties. They definately kept me entertained while home on the couch for two months. They were miffed when I left the house for the first time.

One Love,

Stephanie
  • Perhaps one day I will have one. :) Glad to hear you have had so much love from yours.

One Love,

Stephanie
advertisement