Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Sciatic nerve damage?

Comments

• Thank you, Cherish. I'm sorry that you have permanent nerve damage, but at the same time I'm happy for you that your programmer is working and that your pain is less. :)

My son is going to try a cortisone shot and we'll see how it helps. If it doesn't help, we do have a name of another neuro-surgeon that has been suggested for us to get a 2nd opinion.

If his continuing pain is from scar tissue, does that mean that the next step is pain management? I am still holding out hope that he will get better, even though we are approaching the 3 months mark since his surgery.

I think if the weakness in his left leg continues, and his leg continues to get thinner or he develops foot drop, that will be the real indicator that there is more going on here than scar tissue. Does that sound correct?

Does anyone else have any thoughts on his reports?

Thank you everyone.

Kim
  • Hi SixMurphys,

From what I have learned looking into Vax-D myself, it is fine to have done if you have built-up scar tissue, and can actually help with nerve damage.

I know that you can't have it done if you've had a fusion, but not all surgeries disqualify you.

It's not for after surgery, per se, but as a surgical alternative. Spine surgery can be really dangerous, but Vax-D is more like a form of physical therapy.

Hope that helped! Sorry it took me so long to answer you.
    VLK
    sixmurphys said:
    Hi VLK,

My son had a diskectomy and laminectomy. I do not know if anything was "micro" or not. He incision looks to be about 2-3 inches long.

We are leaving in just 25 minutes for his test. He is having an EMG, CT Scan and X Ray. We are hoping to meet with his doctor on Friday if all the test results are in.

I guess I am to the point where I just want to know what is going on so I can help him plan his future.

I will look into the Vax-D, but is it for when surgery is already done? Does it work for nerve damage, or scar tissue?

I have a feeling I have a lot to learn! Lots of reading in my future, I'm sure!!

Thanks!

Kim
  • advertisement
  • Do you have an update? How is your son doing? I hope much better. :)
  • Kim,
    I know this has to be torture to watch your son go thru this. You seem to be looking for suggestions from members here on the results of the tests your son is taking. Might I suggest a different approach?
    When I had my problem, I started doing all of the research I could. I posted here to see if anyone had similar problems, but not for suggestions on test results. When I had my MRI done I demanded a copy of the report and the digital copy of the MRI. I then sent that MRI off to 4 separate surgeons. None of them were local. I tried to find the best ones in the country by researching on the internet. I then started researching the procedures each of them recommended. By the 3rd surgical consult, I was getting pretty good at asking questions. I also quickly learned the terminology and what the actual report results described and meant. I was always very respectful to the surgeons and very humble in my conversations with them. They seemed to appreciate that I was doing my homework. I never suggested procedures, just inquired about what they recommended. I always asked for success rates, and definitions of success. You are very likely to get different opinions from different people. Consider a second, third, or fourth opinion. Research their answers and suggestions. Read up on each aspect of your sons problems.
    Get your son involved in this process. He has a much better understanding of his symptoms and pain than you do. Have him help to do research. Ask doctors about trying an inversion table, decompression table, other less invasive treatments.
    I would recommend (I am in no way a doctor) making your son switch rooms with his sister. The less he does to aggravate the nerve, the more likely it is to respond positively. Those stairs can’t be doing him any good each day.
  • Well, we went to get a second opinion last week (July, 2009).

This doc said that the March scans show that he has fragment or re-herniation at L4-L5 and he has a herniated disk at L5-LS. He has ordered another MRI. The MRI is tomorrow and the follow up appointment is at the end of the month.

Overall, there has been improvement regarding the level of pain. Perhaps it just took him longer to recover from the surgery, or for the inflammation to go down. By no means is he back to normal. He had increased his activity, despite having some pain, and that caused sciatic pain in the other leg...

He has also lost some weight.. 40 lbs. and I think that has helped things a lot.

Thank you for all the responses. They are appreciated.

Kim
  • advertisement
  • Nice to hear from you with an update. I was wondering what had happened with your son. Let us know how the MRI turns out.

I'm glad he is having a little less pain. That is better than the alternative.

How did he lose so much weight??? I need to know the secret.

xx Gwennie
  • Hi Kim,,

I'm new here and I would just like to know if there are any improvements in regards to your son's symptoms.

Thank you,
advertisement