Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Broken titanium rod on spine

advertisement

Comments

• charzyccharzy Posts: 3
    edited 11/09/2013 - 11:18 AM
    Anonymous said:
    Hi,
    I had spinal surgery 3 years ago. Two titanium rods and 12 screws. I have been experience pain now for 6 months and just had it checked. I was told that a nut was off and the rod had broken and allowed the disk to deteriorate. Has anyone ever had a broken rod that has caused problems.
    I was told that the rod may have broken because of movement.
    Seems wrong for that to happen.
    Help.
    I recently went to the Dr.Halloween to be exact! I have had 6 Back Surgeries and have 4 Titanium Rods in My Spine two 22 inch, one 20 inch
    one 16 inch 30 two inch screws and 10 brackets and two 3 inch extenders.My Pain has been off The Hook!! Tests show that I Have a Loose Screw
    . My Titanium Rods have Broke 4 Times. It is Shoddy Workmanship by the Company, The Manufacturer who made these! I am sick of it Something
    needs done and now I have to go under the knife a 7th time I am not Happy and I'm scared to Death!! I need Help in Finding an Attorney. that handles
    pro bono cases! read my story I wasn't doing anything this last time but putting make-up on! the time before that I was Reaching for something and My Rods Blew at my waist. Just doesn't seem right!! I wish They could just take it all out! but that isn't going to happen! but this screw could cause sepsis and i could possibly have to have everything taken out so I guess I'm going under the Knife for the 7th time! I wish You the Best of Luck!!
    GBY, Char

charla j rich
  • if people think they have broken rods, then there is probably another issue like installed incorrectly. titanium is the strongest metal and it is used by space, planes, and even the spy plane used in the 80's. me thinks that there is breakage not with the metal but in the areas where the screws are placed, a bone paste is added to the screws and it takes a year or so for the bone to harden. i was told that i could not lift over 5 lbs or do any heavy work at all for a year and also i had to wear a brace. i think some people do not adhere to these rules or wear their brace as ordered and if one does not do this then the screws can come undone or break. it is not the fault of the metal. one can not get stronger metal than titanium and as i wrote before if you research it, there is less than a 1% chance of them breaking. so those who write me and say i don't know what i am talking about should research titanium and surgery. they would not use it in the blackbird spy plane and the shuttle if it would not hold up to stress. my father in law is a stress analysis engineer and he says it is a very reliable metal.
    jon
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • advertisement
  • Hey :)

2 years ago my horse fell on top of me and I fractured my L1 L2 L4 and shattered my L3 my surgeon used two titanium rods and screws to fix it.
    The day after surgery I was walking and feeling a lot of relief, I stopped taking any pain killers as soon as I got home from hospital and I was only in there for 11 days, 2 months later I was back on a horse and riding every day.
    Ever since my operation I feel no pain at all and am incredibly flexible ( can touch hands flat on the floor without stretching and can do most yoga moves)
    Since my last check up the surgeon said that he would like to take it out, I would love to get some opinions, I feel like I don't need it in anymore, but if there are risks I would love to know of other people's experiences with the removal of their titanium rods :)
    Thanks Nikki
    Nikki scott
  • i had them removed, but one has to wait 2 years after fusions to do it. i was in the hospital for about 3 days and the operation was about 2-3 hours. i was on a pain pump for 2 days, oral meds the rest of the time then i was discharged with no problems at all. it is like any surgery. it is a lot different than a fusion but it still is major surgery. i had no problems, but like back surgery, it is a crap shoot. the removal of the metal did not help the pain. i still had pain, albeit less than before the surgery. my back was filled with metal, filled. i freaked when i saw the before x-rays, tons of metal. i still have lots of metal from L1-3. the pain is somewhat less, but still lots of pain whereas i have to still take my pain meds. try it if you want to. there are no guarantees that metal removal will help with reduction in pain. it did not help me a lot but it did somewhat helped. talk it over with the dr and see if it is something you want to do. if you do, go for it.
    good luck
    jon
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • rthibourrrthibour Posts: 1
    edited 02/13/2015 - 9:41 PM
    In 2007 I fell and yes I broke the titanium rod in my lower back. For two years Mri's and cat scan did not find it. It wasn't till my doctor put me into a fetal position to injected me w/ some pain meds into my spine. His reaction was OH, no wonder your in so much pain the pin in your back is broken. He injected me and scheduled me for another surgery. They removed as much of the pin as possible and fused my back.
    I understand from the show the doctors there was a recall on some pin. Don't know which ones. Apparently they sold none medical pins $69.00 pin for medical surgery pins $13,000. Something like that.

Welcome to Spine-Health

Use that above hyperlink to help you get started with Spine-Health and navigate through the system.

If there are any questions, you can always post them here, send Liz or myself a private message or contact Ron rdilauro@veritashealth.com

This is a very old thread, for best support and information I suggest you make a new thread in introductions, you can do this by clicking on 'create forum post' on the left column.
  • advertisement
  • I had my second fusion at L4-5 in 2005 and found out yesterday that the rods are broken in have on both sides. Not sure what they are gonna do yet. Does anyone know if there were faulty rods back then?
  • scolicinsscolicin Posts: 1
    edited 05/06/2015 - 3:37 PM
    Im 58 and fused from T4 to S1. Both of my rods are broken and life has become hellish again. I exercise constantly and do yoga and swim. Surgeon wants to take everything out and put in FOUR rods and bigger screws. Anyone else ? Sad Cin
    cin heidel
  • EnnaEEnna Spain but BritishPosts: 21
    Oh dear, not sure whether I want this op now. In the process of having botox for pain because I have put so much weight on with Lyrica. I had gone to a private surgeon who say he does this op often and he told me it depended on how strong your bones are as to whether the screws can hold. He put me on Vitamin D which I have been on for 2 years. I am now worried about this op but I have had a bone scan and he said that my bones are much better to hold the screws. Not sure now what to do.... I have a funny feeling that they are expecting me to have botox every so often to save money on the titanium rods and screws. I can't have ADR because I am too old lol. Oh dear, I wish I hadn't read this now....
  • EnnaEEnna Spain but BritishPosts: 21
    Oh dear, not sure whether I want this op now. In the process of having botox for pain because I have put so much weight on with Lyrica. I had gone to a private surgeon who say he does this op often and he told me it depended on how strong your bones are as to whether the screws can hold. He put me on Vitamin D which I have been on for 2 years. I am now worried about this op but I have had a bone scan and he said that my bones are much better to hold the screws. Not sure now what to do.... I have a funny feeling that they are expecting me to have botox every so often to save money on the titanium rods and screws. I can't have ADR because I am too old lol. Oh dear, I wish I hadn't read this now....
  • My rods broke three years after surgery . I'm in my forties, and at a weight of 112 not overweight or overactive. I was plugging in my iPod when I heard and felt a pop. I went to a doctor a few days later when the pain became unbearable, after X-ray revealed a break they sent me to my surgeon.

He found that both rods broke and fractured my spine. I had revision surgery to replace the rods.

My rods were from my T-9 thru sacrum. Since the second surgery I've been unable to do anything. I'm still in extreme pain and my life has come to a stand still. They have said there is nothing else they can do.

Come to find out that there was a recall on my kit and many others during the time of my first surgery. Our spinal rods are made of the same thing as the recalled hip replacement kit. Our rods are not just one metal but two. Titanium and aluminum in most cases. I would consider finding out if your kit was part of the recall. Each piece has a serial number that you can find out and see if it was part of the recall. I also suggest you get tested for chromium colbot poisoning. I have to have it tested yearly for the rest of my life.

In hindsight I should never have had the surgery and I should have researched the company and so many other things.

Don't let anyone tell you they don't break. They will tell you they don't but then I found out that there is a 10% chance of breakage. Check the recall list and insist on a colbolt test, then if your rods number is on it contact a lawyer.
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.