Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

waiting for doctor

maset22mmaset22 Posts: 30
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Chronic Pain
Does any one, ever have to wait for two to four hours habitually to see your doctor, I do. And it frustrate me somewhat. I do have my reading materials, but now I notice I do not want to wait that long, specially while I am hurting. Just venting. Pain has made me very low key person. Dan
advertisement

Comments

• Yep! I think we've all had problems waiting. When I first met with the surgeon I decided on I had to wait 2 hours! I thought they had forgotten me. I think it might be difficult for some docs to decide whether to press on or give each patient the time she or he deserves/demands. I don't know, but when you're hurting it does feel very dismissive and uncaring when your made to wait. Is there any way you can find a new Doctor? Hang in there...
  • I misspelled you're. I hate that.
  • advertisement
  • I just sat in an office for 3 hours to see 2 docs for SSDI. Each doc spent a max of 5 minutes with me. The rest of the time was out in the waiting room. My husband came with me thank goodness. It is very frustrating and I am very sore because of the wait.
  • Especially with my back pain. The office better have comfy couches, flat screen tv, beverages and snack bar, and up to date magazines. Thankfully I don't wait too long with my current doctors unless it's a really hectic day.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,584
    Like all of you, I have had the same problems. After putting up for this for a long time, I decided to do something.
    One time when I was waiting, I said I wanted to talk to the office manager (not just the person up front).
    When the Office Manager came out, I just looked at my watch

and said, hmm, we are not 50 minutes past my appointment time.
    I know the doctor is busy, but so am I! Here is my beeper number, page me when I am next! I have to work for a living, so time is money!

The office manager was taken back by this and apologized to me and said, ok I understand, I will bump you to the next patient.

My reply Thank you that is very nice of you, however, I have already spent too much time here waiting and putting me next just means the people out there waiting have to wait that much longer, Thanks but no Thanks... I will call in to the doctor to leave a message, and please dont tell me the doctor is busy, we are all busy, so just give him the message. This way I will know for sure, if he is just avoiding returning my call or is that you gave it to him late.

Its amazing when you remain calm and use the right words how much that will buy you
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • advertisement
  • I always try to get the 200 or 215pm appt that's after the Drs lunch. Also first thing in the morning is good also. I get ticked off waitng because we get caught in rush hour and we have to go through the center of town to get home to the east side. People should also monitor their time with the Dr an appt is 15 minutes unless it's a physical or first time consult. You can also ask for more time when booking your appt. I hate that I have to wait so long for an Ortho or NeuroSurgeon appt. I could've been back to work by now if I had a decompression surgery Im's sure. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • 3-4 Hours? You have to be kidding! Unless there was a grave emergency, that is totally unacceptable. My patience, which has never been my strongpoint, would be totally evaporated ~X( I can't believe you all have the same experiences. If I have waited a half hour, I either talk to the receptionist to re-book, or leave. Maybe I'm lucky to live in a smaller area of the country. If this is big-city living I want no part of it. The longest I hav ever waited was in an ER, and that was only hour and half. Didn't know how lucky I am.

Maggie
  • i had to wait for 90 minutes and i complained to receptionist .they got me into another room and i waited another 30 minutes. dr came in talked for 5 minutes left then i heard him in another room. i talked to nurse and said my time is valuable and i won't wait any longer. don't bill me because i did not get help from dr. i left, then complained to head of clinic. i believe if one has to wait for over 15 minutes for a dr, then we should not have to pay for bill. our time is valuable, probably more valuable than a dr's. to me this waiting is the peak of arrogance on the dr's part. if you have to wait, leave, go to receptionist or nurse and say i want a new appt and lodge a complaint. if you had to wait for a long time to get appt, i don't know what i would do. if it was for refill on meds i would probably wait but complain to dr. if this is habitual, then i would find another dr
    jon
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • to see a surgeon or resident at clinic for a scheduled appointment is 3 1/4 hours, down side was at the end of this time I was told the surgeon had an emergency in the ER & wouldn't then be able to see me!!! OK I was less than cool about it LOL!! I had a journey of 30 miles either way to get to the hospital (60 mile round trip) and had waited 3 months for the appointment I kicked off about it & they got me in again the next week but then had to wait another 1 1/2 hours in a clinical waiting room with rock hard seats ! Not nice LOL
  • They have fixed the wait times for most of my waiting rooms. I seldom have to wait more than 15 minutes now.

My current wait is for my PM to write a letter to be submitted to insurance to get an approval for my permanent SCS. I asked why it would take a week to a week and a half and was told that they do not know why it takes the doctor that long, but it does. I also know his mother passed away 2 days into my SCS trial and she was buried the day the trial was over.

So, not wanting to upset the guy who has my SCS approval hanging on his every word, I wait... :W
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.