Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Med-alert bracelets or necklace

charryccharry Posts: 5,647
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Maintenance
I've worked in healthcare for 21 years as an RN. Many times I've told patients to get their med alert bracelet or necklace and put your condition and allergies on these. You can order these online or sometimes the application will be at the Pharmacy. I honestly think they should distribute these bracelets or necklaces with your first prescription and paid for by your insurance. It would help moi an ER-RN as well as ambulance and other personnel. What do you think? Take care. Charry
DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
advertisement

Comments

• Charry,
    In my experience, sometimes the bracelet/necklace has been a lifesaver. When someone is unconscious or unable to communicate it can be the only way to tell medical personnel info that truly can make a difference between life and death. Knowing about allergies, medications and conditions sure can make things easier. That would be cool if they could be prescribed by a doctor and paid for by insurance companies like medications.
    Jay
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,271
    has some special situations (ie Allegies, being Diabetic, Having a Pacemaker or Morphine implant, etc) would be very important to the health care professionals who work on these folks in an emergency situation.
    Once those valuable teams get a patient stabilized and into the hospitals, those bracelets or necklaces have done their job.
    I am all for what some medical institutions are looking into.
    A implanted chip for the individual. With some provided equipment, a scan of these chips could provide the hospital or others with all the necessary details regarding that patient.
    That to me is some really forward progressive thinking and I believe it will be very common in the not so distant future.

Think about it, the EZPASS's today essentially provide the same , but the subject is the car, not the patient.

I know of a person who was sent a ticket in the mail, because with the EZPASS tracking, going from Exit X to Exit Y is XXX miles and traveling at YY mph you would arrive at the exit Y in zzz:timeframe. If you come in under that timeframe, essentially you are speeding.
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • advertisement
  • hi charry, it would be good if the insurance would pay for a med alert tag, but i think it is the best insurance we spineys can have to purchase our own med alert tags. before i was released from the hospital in aug. 07 (wow 2 yrs ago), my ns told me to get one, because it took 2 1/2 hours to get an airway started on me for my surgery. this is what i had printed in simple terms on my necklace tag:

my name
    my d.o.b.
    "titanium plate implanted in frontof neck c3-c7, difficult airway due to restricted neck movement"

i hope if my tag is ever used in an emergency, its one of those ems guardian angels reading it.
    God Bless All, kc
  • I agree, everyone that needs one should have access to a medical alert tag, for any reason. Years ago when my husband traveled a lot I also had a card made at the engraving store for his wallet that says he is allergic to penicillin and other med info in case he lost the tag. That card is 30+ yrs. and still like new! But you made me think, I guess I should have a tag now too...thanks! On my list to do ASAP! Thanks Charry!

Kathy
  • i have some medical allergies and you have really made me think i need to get a tag or bracelet for them... :D thanks for the heads up!! =D> Jenny :)
  • advertisement
  • I have a medical bracelet as I'm allergic to penicillin and I was wondering whether I should have it updated to mention the hardware I will be getting in my fusion. Does anyone know if this is necessary?
  • Unless the hardware is going to present a problem for you if you were unable to speak for yourself (for example interfere with deffibrillation, intubation or MRI) then it really isn't necessary. Ask your surgeon his/her opinion and use that as a guide.

"C"
  • I guess I'd better get one since I'm allergic to Morphine, huh? This is a great reminder for all of us since we have so much going on in our lives. As far as infusion pump or stim, Medtronic gives you an ID card with all the important info but I would also like to have like a keychain or bracelet.
  • meydey321 said:
    I guess I'd better get one since I'm allergic to Morphine, huh? This is a great reminder for all of us since we have so much going on in our lives. As far as infusion pump or stim, Medtronic gives you an ID card with all the important info but I would also like to have like a keychain or bracelet.
    I've been wearing a MedicAlert bracelet since 1981 due to Penicillin allergies. Since then I've had to update it for Bees, Latex...on the medical information that you can put as a member,fusions and hardware are listed, and since I take a beta blocker (can screw up efforts if you need Epi), and Lyrica, that info is now listed. Additional with being a member of MedicAlert, the emergency personnel also get your insurance information, and emergency contact info, primary doctor etc. It is a win win for a very low yearly price in my book!!!

MedicAlert also has very stylish bracelets, necklaces, boot ID's etc., so most average people wouldn't know you were wearing it!!! :-) Be safe all!

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • I am glad I came across this post-I have been wondering about wearing something-thank you
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.