Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Med-alert bracelets or necklace

advertisement

Comments

• texascowgirl said:
    I am glad I came across this post-I have been wondering about wearing something-thank you
    In my office (law enforcement) we are "self contained" in so far as if we conduct a warrant for instance, many of our officers are EMT's and therefore our first responders. One day in the office MedicAlert bracelet wearing came up. I was told that they [EMTs] are actually taught to "check wrists, necks and then wallets" for medical information! Since I am very allergic to Latex, I keep it on my wrist. This way if they do follow that policy, only my wrist my get hit with Latex!!!

Down here on a positive note, many departments are getting away from Latex, or going completely Latex free. So, for now and forever, I will keep my bracelet where it is - the wrist!! :-)

Oh, and the few guys at work that have them (stents, meds) they wear necklaces for (pride, ego???). Have a pain free day all!!!

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • After getting my neck fused, I decided that it was time to finally get one (as my Dr. had mentioned it before b/c of my lung/asthma issues). With some searching, I found all sorts of styles of bracelets and necklaces that don't look old and clunky (the way the old ones have always looked to me, as my Grandparents wore them, and thats who I always associated them with). I ended up with extra space on my medical charm, so I added about my fusion - but it wasn't necessary. I alsao asked some friends who are EMT's and they said that they look at all necklaces, bracelets and watches to medical info. - if a person is not alert. Another good thing to do is to have an "In case of emergency" (ICE) listing in your cell phone contacts, or even in the glove compartment of your car.
  • advertisement
  • Barb,

I have been a member of "MedicAlert" since 1981 - as back then my allergy to Penicillin was the only issue. As time went on Latex, Bee Stings etc., added to it. My fusions are in the 'medical' information on their site - the fusions. That way when the medical personnel call, they get all medications I am on, and medical issues (Fusions, heart murmur, medications), and too they know who my primary care doctor is, and my NS. Weeeelllll worth the money for the yearly membership. Side note... I didn't update my fees for a few years, found they still update when needed if medical professionals call!

Since then, I've kept my member fees up to date. Even added donations to them. They saved my butt keeping my medical info even though I wasn't current on my dues!! Pretty neat huh? I have a pretty French braid bracelet for the more fancy outings, and gold/silver stretch for regular wearing. :)

Brenda
  • Hmmm why not create a pretty line of medical bracelets? If EMTs look for anything why does it have to be plain or downright yucky?

I was shocked a few weeks ago when my brother mentioned that my unequal pupils would be interpreted as a stoke if I couldn't talk. He suggested putting something in my wallet. I ignored him but was surprised when the policeman at the teen driving lecture mentioned that unequal pupils would indicated a brain injury. Hmmmm need to get moving on this one.
  • There are some nice bracelets & necklaces now and even watches, shoe tags and dog tags for less than $10. So lots of options available now that look nice. I like the watch personally and have used citizen at work and it's water resistant and has a second hand.
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • advertisement
  • I guess it's time I looked into getting one of these. I've gone into anaphylactic shock more than once due to antibiotics and valium, and I'm already sensitive to most inhaled sedation and antibiotics. I've had (mostly minor) reactions to most other antibiotics and some sedation drugs(makes surgery not so much fun :P Not to mention makes me choose carefully what to actually have done!)

I've always been the one that has the medical records for my family members... this makes me realize that maybe it's time that someone be able to find out mine if I can't tell them.

geez...and I forgot the Afib which became mine after the valium reaction... yeah, I guess it's time.
  • Kris,

MedicAlert actually now carries "designer" bracelets! Some with the bracelet design itself (French braid, Figaro) and others with sport wear in mind (canvas), and others with crystals. Pretty neat and sweet.

Ps...I've heard the same about eyes...

Brenda
  • Clandy,

I've been a big supporter of these "medical warning" bracelets for years! When MedicAlert added to their website such that a member could update medications, conditions etc., I was happy beyond belief! I felt like a pest when I had to call to update things. Yeah, I know, it's their job to input the data. Now I feel more comfy that *I* can update things. :) Well worth its money for membership.

Brenda
  • Without a doubt this is necessary for me. I had an anaphylactic reaction to a bee sting last month.

I am have SCS trial scheduled for 10/19/2010. I am a positive thinking person, and hope I will have SCS implanted.

I do like MedicAlert as well. I feel more comfortable knowing that more of my medical data is available than what can be engraved on a bracelet.Thanks ladies for posting that there are different styles as well!

I will be ordering this weekend...

Jackie
  • I've been allergic to bees, wasps etc. since I was around 14. It wasn't until I was in basic training that I found out it changed to "deathly" allergic! I sat on a bee, got stung and within 15 minutes I was going into anaphylaxis! The Army gave me a red allergy dog tag. Within a few months I heard of MedicAlert and got my bracelet.

I've have Anaphylaxis twice since! Most of the stuff on mine is allergy related. On my last fusion I demanded that the bracelet NOT be removed for surgery. Reason? The fusion before that, a nurse handled my arm and hand wearing Latex gloves! I woke up in recovery with blisters on my arm and hand! Just another thing I find of benefit with these bracelets. :)

Brenda
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.