Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

I hope someone can alleviate some fears for me

Comments

• I want the cheesecake for myself!!!! You know chocolate is one of the basic food groups, right? Do you live in Billings? I had a friend who lived in Helena, went to visit, what a beautiful state. I'm first in line for a full body transplant, but going back to being 12 wouldn't be bad either. I took steroids awhile back after my sinus surgery. I was awake, literally, for 3 days!! Could not sleep. Tapered them off after 5 days, and it was still a week before I slept over 3-4 hrs a night. Not fun at all. Have you tried heat or ice for your elbow? Lots of people like ice, but I do better with heat. I'm glad your eye surgery went well, and you can see =D> What a blessing that must be for you. Maybe you could call your dr and put your name on his cancellation list. Expain that you are really in a lot of pain, and need to get in sooner if possible. Take care, and let us know how you are doing.

You can overnight me the cheesecake :D
    Maggie
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,525

for a spine-health site introduction, click on :

welcome to spine-health

if you have any questions, feel free to contact (pm) any one of the moderators here priestess , bruce , paulgla, dilauro

the spine-health web site offers so much more than these member forums.
    check the various tabs at the top of the spine-health page and you will find so much that is offered here.

please remember that all information you receive from members on this forum is not
    formal medical advise. you should always consult with your doctors.

to get back to the forums, you can always click on forum home

please feel free to contact me at rdilauro@gmail.com or send me a message
    ________________________________________________________________________________
    having been through cervical surgery before, i am sure you are aware of the precautions, the brace, the recovery period, etc.
    c1/c2 is not the most common of cervical discs to have problems with. this would just add to the surgery and fusion you have already had. i would have to imagine that having surgery and fusion from c1 down to c5 would limit movement in your neck. looking at dyphasia, since i wasnt aware of this, i would have to believe the risks are low for that, unless you had some pre-existing situation.
    my son is a chef and private caterer and i know just from the times i've worked with him, that having restricted movements in your neck makes doing your work that much harder.
    find out your options when you discuss all of this with your doctor.
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • advertisement
  • WOW!!!! Those are some hard core narcs and they arent helping with the pain?? Thats terrible!! I will keep positive energy flowing your way for a speedy and full recovery and ease of the pain.
  • I'll make a cheesecake especially for you!! And of course chocolate is a food group. There are 3 basic food groups: Red Meat..Chocolate.. and Pepsi.
    And yes!! Having my sight back is a huge blessing and one I am thankful for every second. It is truly amazing how a lot of us take things like sight and hearing for granted when everything is working right. But when you start to or lose them..its a horrible experience. But I will say this. Being basically blind for a year and having to always rely on someone else to read my mail to me, help me shave, tell me where the curb is.. etc etc. It took away a lot of arrogance and I have a whole new appreciation for everything now. So in that regard..I am doubly blessed :)

I am on the cancellation list at the doctors. They dont really seem to care what kind of pain I'm in. I know I am not their only concern.. but sheeeeeesh.
    And the pain is mobile again..its moved from my shoulder.. to my elbow.. and NOW its just in my forearm..I'm so confused...lol
    Oh.. Yes..I live in Billings. Montana is a very beautiful state. I walked out the back door this evening and there were 6 white tail deer in the yard.. I'm a sap..I love that kind of junk :)
  • Twisty! I believe this sight will help you a lot. I find it to be very supportive. It's like we are a big family.

I am a huge chocolate fan. I would also love a peice of that cheesecake! My mouth is watering! =P~

What is even better about it is the deer. I am a Kentucky Girl. I have professional job, but I love to hunt deer and Turkey. Actually Youth Turkey season opens this weekend. My husband is going to take my seven year old son while I take my nine year old son to Knoxville, TN for a baseball tournament. Sorry, just making conversation! (8)

Let us know how everything goes with the doctor. I hope it goes well.

Wish you the best of luck! :P
  • advertisement
  • I agree.. this site is fantastic. I have found som very usefull and interesting information so far.

I'll make amdeak with you.. you send me a nice young turkey to smoke and I'll send you a cheesecake ;)) Wild turkey is soooo much better than farm raised. I've never been turkey hunting but I have plugged a lot opf pheasant and those are tasty too.
    I hope your husband and son bring some home for you. And your other son did weol in the baseball tourney. :)
  • Yes this sitre is very helpful. I am so glad I found it. And thank you to all of the mods that put in the time and effort to keep it running.
    My NS told me that a c1-c2 herinationisnt very common. Leave it up to me to be an over achiever in the worst possible way..lol.
    Did your son go to a culinary school? I went to Western Culinary Institute in Portland Oregon. Great school but soooooo intense. I thought boot vamp was bad.. some of the chef instructors made drill instructors seem like den mothers..lol
    Yes.. the fusions in my neck and the degenerative disc diesease in the lower lumbar makes working in my field a challenge a lot of time. I dont do much of the actual line work anymore because the body mechanics are all wrong. I stick to expediting and making the daily specials, soups and sauces. I can take a little extra time to make sure I move properly doing those things.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,525
    Sometimes I believe that in the field that you are in, on your feet for so many hours and bending over or looking at one of your works, that cervical issues can really become a major problem.
    As far as my son, he graduated from the French Culinary School in New York City. Then he did about a 2 year term in Tuscany, Italy. He was one of the instructors as a cooking school. But there he did learn so much to hone in on his skills.
    Many people do not realize how much physical and mental demands on placed on Chefs. People think of it as a glorious job, just like the Emerils, Bobby Flays, etc.
    You know more than others how much time, how many hours of long hard work you needed to do , just to get to the position you are in.
    So, from that regards, my hat is off to you. (well, if I could borrow my son's Chef hat, that would be better)

I was surprised about the C1/C2 problems. From reading other members posts and just reading medical journals in general, I've always came away with the conclusion that
    C5/C6 and C6/C7 are the most common cervical discs to have problems.

Considering you have been a past patient of cervical surgery, I am sure you want to make it 100% sure that there are not other treatments you can go through without having another surgery.

Good luck, hope things turn out the best for you
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • All right, all of you, step aside before I knock y'all over racing to the cheesecake. :D

Chef-I was originally diagnosed with "tennis elbow" too. It took close to a year to get to the real problem. I do hope your doctor is able to bring you some relief. Let us know how it all goes.
  • Are you sure there are still 6 deer, or is one now in your meat locker. You got two of the 3 food groups right,chocolate, and red meat. But the third is COKE :D I hope we are helping with your pain, even if it's just a few minutes relief by taking your mind off of it. My friend from Helena and I went to Billings for the PBR (bullriding) event. We also went up to the Little BigHorn, and the site of Custer's battle. What an amazing place. Really spooky, I can see why the indians consider it Sacred Ground. You can almost "see" the history alive there. Just think, only 4 more days until your appt. Even if they have to do more testing, your dr should be willing to give you some pain meds to help you. Take care. From the sounds of all the growling tummies, that's going to be one mighty big cheesecake :))(

Maggie
advertisement