Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Your thoughts please....but hurry...have to make decision.

advertisement

Comments

• that you shouldn't be swayed by all the stories in the forum that have not gotten relief from surgery. There are tons more that have. The L5/S1 area is a great place for a fusion, if there is such a thing as "great place for one". Sorry, that sounded weird. But I have a couple of friends that have had a fusion just at that level and have had total immediate success. One even took a 8 hour flight 6 weeks afterwards to Las Vegas from Alabama and stayed there for a week. She was tired out, but made it and enjoyed herself. She had the anterior approach fusion.

The ESI injections might help with inflammation and swelling but will not fix the herniation at all. You said it'd been 3 months since the herniation. What are your current tests showing. Have you had a new MRI? I had to have a myelogram and discogram to show everything that was going on.

I hope you continue to research and are able to make a good decision and find the right doctor for you. Good Luck.

• Visit was fine. As expected. Dr.said that I had a pretty good herniation. That it might get better with time...but to what degree...can't answer. Will it come back ? more than likely.

Since I was in so much pain, and it was stopping me from doing my daily activities...like riding in a car, and standing up...then he suggested surgery.

That the L5/S1 was the most common surgery and it was not that big a deal. That he has done over 2ooo of these, and it has an 85% Longtime effect of never having another issue.

He knows my original dr. that I am seeing tomorrow, and said it did not matter who I chose to do the surgery that I was in very good hands either way I went.

He was not trying to sell me on it, but he was more or less saying ...What kind of life are you living now ? and how long can you live like this ?

That is it. No more. That I had a rate of a 7 or 8 out of 10 as far as the size of the herniation. That it was not the largest he has seen, but it was not the smallest either..... He suggested surgery and be done with it.

ONE MORE Doctor tomorrow to visit. and I know what he is going to say. Just have to decide who I want to use I guess.
  • advertisement