Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!


Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

29 hrs post op! Sorry long detailed post.



  • Yes Tina it's very easy to overdo it when you feel ok. Everyone at the hospital was shocked that I was up so much but I definitely regretted it later in the day. Today I went for a fairly long walk & then came home & took a nap. I don't really feel like eating much cause it hurts to swallow but I'm drinking lots of water. I'm still finding needle holes from the nerve conduction tests...I look like a heroin junkie...needle tracks everywhere even my feet! The one on the fleshy part of my palm below my thumb was the worst. Grossly swollen & dark purple.

    The collar isn't too bad except when I went for my walk & it's hot outside today. At least it allows me to sleep on my side. When I start to doze off on my back I feel like I am smothering..not sure why. Now it seems to happen when I lay on my right side as well so I'm sticking to the left. It's a horrible sensation. I changed my dressing today but can't really tell how the incision looks cause its covered in steri strips.

    Thanx everyone for the well wishes. Take care.
  • I LOVE that you are doing so well and I'm glad I'm not the only one who was online and posting within a day :)

    I also felt incredibly good after my fusion. Well, if I don't count the nausea. It did hurt to roll over in bed, but to have the leg pain gone - that was heaven :)

    Unfortunately I was back in the OR after 48 hours post-op for the bleeding and numbness ;)

    Still - I also felt wonderful when I finally got home and could get dressed.

    I think that being on low-to-no pain meds pre-surgery counts for a lot. The strongest I was on was Ibuprofen before my surgery. Afterwards I had problems with being overmedicated (the nausea) but once it all got straightened out it was fine.

    Do keep taking it easy and I'll be hoping for more excellent news from you on your recovery!
  • advertisement
  • Thank you!
    I feel incredibly blessed that things are going so well. I just slept for about 3 hrs & think I'll be able to go back to sleep without more medication. My neck, shoulder & upper back muscles are really sore but I'm sure that won't last forever. The last 2 nights I tried to watch movies with my sis & both times I dozed of in the 1st 10 min! Eyes drooping again..gonna get some more sleep!
  • Wow I was not here since last night and you have so many posts for me to read! :))( I meant that in a good way! I'm glad you're doing well after your surgery. I'm so happy for you. It seems you had so many obstacles before your surgery but you're positive attitude I'm sure has helped you through it. Are you wearing a collar all the time? I hope you take it easy and don't hurry back to work or do too much around the house even. I take flexeril too and that makes me sleepy too. I wish you a quick recovery and hope the sore throat and neck pain eases up for you. Take care. Charry O:)
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Yes, I have to wear the collar 24/7. Doc said if I'm sitting very still I can take it off for a short time. Actually, the collar does not bother me too much. I have found comfortable positions on my couch & in my bed so I can rest well. I catch myself doing things I shouldn't but it's so hard to change tour habits. My sis will be here til the 7th & she has been great!

    Wow, I just nodded off while typing. Feels so strange . I went longer without my pills last night but I'm afraid to go too long. Those muscle spasms really get you.
  • advertisement
  • So great to hear a postive surgery!! That is how I felt with my revision of my lumbar. Woke up in recovery w/ just burning at the incision site and nausea.
    Was awake most of the day and night. They took the cath out the next afternoon and I was up walking all around. Then sent home on the 3rd morning!!

    Yes with my cervical I could only do liquids for about 2wks. It hurt to much. Sleeping on my side oh noooo that was way to hard. But mabye easier in a hard collar?? Not sure. Guess everyone is different..

    P.S. Someone wrote they could not imagine being awake in the O.R. I'v been awake for all surgeries. Majority that I have had, I have had no meds before getting myself on the table. Last revision I don't remember cause I had a horrid headache and got some good drippy meds. And with my kidney removal they gave me "whatever" all I know it was GOOD!! Before they wheeled me in. LoL
    Everyone now a days are so cool in there that your laughing anyway. But I'm also one to love the hospital scene!! LoL

    Keep up the great recovery!!!!!!!!
    Terri :)
  • Joann, I think the pain you're experiencing in your chest is something I had and another person on here posted about - it's a bubble and it slowly moves up until you burp. I had that for about a month and still get it from time to time. I have no idea why it happens post-cervical surgery, but it can.

    Also, I didn't have a catheter and wish I had because, like you said, I was going to the bathroom every 45 min. and had to call a nurse each time. It sucked.

  • Hi everyone, my name is Olivia and I found this site while looking up post-op info on the web(and boredom). I'm glad I did! I have been hoping to find a blog where I can learn and share about our experience. Like others here...I am recovering well..my surgery was about 10 days ago. The pain and spasms seem to be better...especially over the last few days. My surgeon put me in a Miami j collar with the extension piece to it...not fun at all...but tolerable. I did want to comment that my numbness has also improved a lot and seems to still be getting better, but it is not gone, anyone have some thoughts? Also, any suggetstions to riding in a car? My Dr. has told me it's ok to start getting out on short trips, store etc.? I'd be happy to share my experience or answer any questions? Thanks for having me here, take care, Olivia
Sign In or Register to comment.