Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Anouther question about C5/C6

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,321
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Ok for the last 4 days I have been searching onthe internet c5/c6 surgerys/fusion. Let me tell ya I am scared sh***** about this. I have read that you have a breathing tube after surgery because if swelling or it did not work or more pain than before or great 1st month then back to the same. Let me give you some background I am 49, male non smoker was told c5/c6 need to be taken care of no room for the nerve and the cause was just plain wore out. I was told way to much heavey lifting. I can live with that I was a very large bulkey from teen to around 30 I lifted weights a dabled in steroids. So after 7 docs I come to the surgen he says c5/c6 are a must then c3 is going bad. Going to ask on the 9th why all cannot be done at once. But I have questions also while reading the bone item caught my eye I am not going to have a dead person bone in me!! I thought the doc said he was using plastic for surgery maybe totally wrong for sure I will check that out. Then whats the deal with your breathing tube and what about after surgery? I have read a hard brace a sholder/neck brace or soft brace? The doc said I would have a soft brace and that I could go back to work in just over a week but NO lifting anything. I am going to have surgery this month on the 14th. Does anybody have any words of wisdom? Little tricks? What to do or not to do?
advertisement

Comments

• strd27 said:
    Ok for the last 4 days I have been searching onthe internet c5/c6 surgerys/fusion. Let me tell ya I am scared sh***** about this. I have read that you have a breathing tube after surgery because if swelling or it did not work or more pain than before or great 1st month then back to the same. Let me give you some background I am 49, male non smoker was told c5/c6 need to be taken care of no room for the nerve and the cause was just plain wore out. I was told way to much heavey lifting. I can live with that I was a very large bulkey from teen to around 30 I lifted weights a dabled in steroids. So after 7 docs I come to the surgen he says c5/c6 are a must then c3 is going bad. Going to ask on the 9th why all cannot be done at once. But I have questions also while reading the bone item caught my eye I am not going to have a dead person bone in me!! I thought the doc said he was using plastic for surgery maybe totally wrong for sure I will check that out. Then whats the deal with your breathing tube and what about after surgery? I have read a hard brace a sholder/neck brace or soft brace? The doc said I would have a soft brace and that I could go back to work in just over a week but NO lifting anything. I am going to have surgery this month on the 14th. Does anybody have any words of wisdom? Little tricks? What to do or not to do?
  • I take offence in your post about not having a dead persons bone in your body. We donated our sons bones and organs for people like you. You can always use your own bone but it is very painful
  • advertisement
  • you may take offence if thats is what you need. I my self I am going off my own personal trial and error. I did have a donated bone in me and I rejected it so severly I almost lost my arm. The bone was in my hand. So I feel I have the right to say what I said. What would happen if the same thing happened with this? Well let me tell ya it not going to happen!!!And as for you and your sons I 1st want to let you know that I am sorry for your loss. I do under stand the loss because I have loss my son. I am truley sorry! You did do somethig good for some people just not me
  • first of all, breathe. in. out. in. out. there, relax a bit.

you will have a breathing tube during surgery, afterwords normally you will not. like bubblegum says, follow your doctor's orders, don't push it.

get yourself an adult sippy cup https://www.rei.com/product/776890 it makes life so much easier -- no spills!

i wore an aspen collar for two weeks after my surgery, then weaned myself off of it. by week 4 i didn't use the collar at all. my doc prefers cadaver bone, but if you've had a prior reaction to it, be sure your doc know this.

do you have a recliner? many of us found it easier to sleep in a recliner after surgery.

i will repeat myself. do not push yourself, take your time, recover and be well.

• Back to work within a week?? LOL. Now if that aint a crock of &%^@.Try 1 month to 3 months. Well, Unless you are one of the 5% who are like new within 7 days afterwards.

FUsion's a bitch,..just read this board. Im fortunate I was able to avoid it. If you have Aetna or cigna, you can get a ADR and not have to worry about this cadeavear bone stuff. I heard the bone harvested form your own hip hurts worse than the fusion and can hurt in the hip up to 1 year.

Good luck whatever you end up doing!

PS- for what its worth, I think silly murph was way out of line for berating you for not wanting a cadevear bone. FOr some people, thats just creepy. Some people dont want a dead persons bone in their body and thats their right to think like that regardless of people out there donating their families bones. If anyone takes offense to that, then they are the ones with issues. I do not think it is unthoughtful if one feels that way about it. Sillymurph could have stated her/his point of view in a non berating/offensive way and then it would have been perfectly fine.

Steve
  • advertisement
  • What I have read was that when the doc goes in and moved your inside parts to the side it makes em mad I read on 3 fourms maybe not here because I have been looking everywhere that after the surgery things swelled up and was affecting the breathing thats when they had to put the tube in. I would like to apolize to the fourm for my unthoughtful remarks my wife says since this has been going on I am a A$$. Quick tempered
  • It's standard procedure to put in a breathing tube in for ANYONE who is undergoing a surgical procedure under anesthesia, not just for cervical surgeries. I have had multiple surgeries, 3 of them on my spine or neck area, and not once did I wake up with the tube in place. Given that you are a non-smoker the chances that you will have to have help breathing after surgery is slim. The docs are obligated to tell you what they will do during surgery. During my last surgery my lung was partially deflated and still I didn't have the breathing tube in when I woke...it hurt like hell to breathe but I could still do it.

I agree with Steve, I just don't see many people go back to work within a week or even 2 weeks. It is a major surgery and you need to give yourself time to heal. Don't rush it- you need the time, trust me.

Good luck and let us know how you progress.

Griff
  • I've had 13 operations,but only intubated for two of them.One was when I was 12 for a toncillectomy and,the other was in June of 07 whenever I had my voice box operated on.

I'm pretty sure the breathing tubes are standard during the fusions-from what I've read.Maybe it's because the Dr is so close to the airway during the cervical surgeries and/or it could close the airway during this type of operation.

In my case with the vocals-the surgeon had to intubate me because he went through my mouth to operate rather than cut my neck..but even in that case I would have been intubated simply because of the location.

strd27~If you don't mind me asking-why did you need 7 Drs before you found the surgeon who decided to operate,and is this surgeon the first one to say that surgery is a must? He might mean that the C-3 is going to get worse AFTER this operation because of the domino effect that can happen whenever our spines start to degenerate.Many people here have had to go for another fusion on the disc below or above their first fusion later on.

From my reading,it seems that a week or two would be a very optimistic timeframe for getting back to work.Even some of the younger members here have taken much longer than that,and I know some that are VERY strong and optimistic.I'm not saying this to seem rude..it's just that I think you would want to be aware that it might not be as soon as your Dr seems to think...and I would want to question him in that area,especailly if you have responsibilities that may not wait longer if you need more time.

Good luck,and Welcome to S~H.
  • My neuro surgeon told me that I'd be back to work in 2 weeks...well, I'm STILL off work! I had C5-6 ACDF done 11/03/08. I had a breathing tube, which was the case for my 3 other surgeries, unrelated to my spine. My Dr. did NOT believe in collars, and I didn't wear one. I used a cadaver bone, which kinda creeped me out at first, until I was told/read that using my hip bone was soooo much more painful. I hope you get some answers here. That's what this site is for.
    Amy
  • I also did have a breathing tube but I never knew it till I realized my nose/nostril was hurting post op : )
advertisement