Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

What does your sciatica feel like?

Comments

• mine feels like my nerve is a few sizes too short for my leg. and i would describe my pain as feeling like there is a vacuum in the center of my foot and leg and everything is being sucked to the inside. plus the knife feeling like so many others have stated.
  • takes a while for the area to settle down, I had the same operation 3 months ago its only now things are feeling ok, hang in there go easy on yourself it will be ok, best of luck
  • advertisement
  • I have always described mine like this. Imagine that someone had sliced you open from approx your tailbone, down across your rear and all the way down the outside of your leg and foot. Then they pour rubbing alchohol all up and down that area 27/7. That's how I describe the burning feeling of my bouts of sciatica. Then on top of that, as when I had jolting pains at the same time in my outside ankle area, instead of pins and needles, it felt as if someone was shooting nails into that area with a power nail gun. It was all severe burning, just like when I've burned my skin, but it's on the inside. I also had constant twitching all along the route of my pain. You could actually see the twitching.

I ask people if they've ever gotten burned and/or had a severe toothache. I say the burning pain is like that of getting your skin burned and the throbbing pain is also like a severe toothache in a very large area.
  • well my pre op sciatica pain was the most unbearable debilitating pain i can ever imagine.ran from my left butt cheek down back of thigh around the side of calf and onto my end 3 toes!i could not stand with the pain burning,seering 3000x worse than child birth!!i could get no relief standing sitting lying whatever i did hurt!i was told to ice the area of the disc HA big mistake made it twice as bad!!old lady told me hot water bottle so i tried it to a certain extent it lifted the pain slightly and i bought heat patches that u stick to urself they were ok aswell.all this went on for 3 weeks then BAM everything just went numb instead!weird just left the dentist sort of numb u can feel it but it doesnt feel right.im now 16 days post op md for huge l5-s1 and still have the numbness occassional little sciatica moments but nothing like before!!.im not expecting feeling back in my numb bits for at least 6 mths due to the nerves being compressed for at least 8 mths prior to surgery.:)
  • my pain feel like a throbbing pain that varies between my left and right leg. my right leg in particular gets this sharp knife pain, mimics a stress fracture in my shin. anyone else find it hard sometimes to describe your pain?
  • advertisement
  • Hi everyone,
    I found this thread checking out that my father's radiating pain down his quads to his knees is indeed sciatic as he doesn't describe it as 'nervy' - from reading your comments I'm clear that it is (he has disc problems too).
    I also wanted to share that I've been researching sciatic pain for hours now and that ginger, tumeric/curcumin, and sublingual methyl B12 all seem to be very very helpful. (Enzymatic Therapy bioactive B12 came up well on forum reviews).
    The 'Earth Clinic' website full of users' experiences of cures/solutions was very enlightening. Many people had huge relief just eating candied ginger all day!! Extraordinary but true. Epsom salt baths were well rated too but my father cannot get out of a bath these days.
    I feel optimistic about being able to help my father's excruciating and disabling pain for the first time in a long time.
    I hope this helps someone.
  • I have suffered sciatica on and off since I was a kid. It has always felt to me like someone stabbed me in the lower back, right above my buttocks. The burning pain then extends down my leg.

I usually only get the pain on one side or the other. I get it in the right leg far more often than the left, but luckily they don't usually hurt at the same time.
  • Same here, started with light buttock stabbing, moved on to burning thigh, graduated to foot with pins and needles. Plus some more or less excruciating variations like 'bear jaw on my tailbone' (as someone describes further), crushed sacro-iliac joint area, calf feeling over-stretched...

But, on the whole, like yours, my symptoms have gone from source point (lower back) down towards the foot. When I read that pain is supposed to move 'up' (towards the source) and that exercises which encourage it go this way are 'good'. I haven't found much further information on this, but it's food for thought...
  • I was vacuuming and my right leg started feeling warm with a slight ache. Within 30 minutes, I was lying on a friends bed moaning in excruciating pain. To me it felt as though my right leg from upper thigh to ankle had been shattered with a sledge hammer. Unbelievable. No pain killer can mask it. I tried extreme amounts of some of the strongest on the market. I have had it 5 times in the past 2 years and dread when I feel it coming on. Thank God it only lasts 6-10 hours. I have heard of people who live with this on a daily basis. Post Edited I could never handle that.

Post Edited for inappropriate language by Moderator haglandc
  • To relief your pain, I recommend you to do a lot of exercises and physiotherapy it can help you relief your pain quickly.

Take Care
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.