Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Fix me!

dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,526
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in Chronic Pain
Here is another statement that you here often. People who are dealing with spinal problems many times want a procedure to make them better. It could surgery, it could be an injection and it could be just stronger pain medications.

Dealing with some spinal problems is not that black and white.
An example, if you have a toothache because of a cavity, you go to the dentist, they drill and fix the cavity and you are set, no more problems. Thats an example of FIX ME

Spinal problems can be much more complicated. For many there isnt a simple solution to fixing them. It takes a combination of what the doctor(s) recommend and what the patient needs to do. Both parties have responsibilities here. The doctors have to make the recommendations and the patient needs to do what is recommended. And if that doesnt fix the problem, more discussions and plans need to be established.

Never give up, never allow a doctor to give up on you.

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
advertisement

Comments

• ron-you are correct
    as for surgery, statistics show that 1/3 get better.1/3 stay the same and 1/3 get worse. injections are about 50% and some times they are short term solutions. meds don't get rid of pain, they dull the pain and sometimes you still suffer. so what do we do? i just accept the fact that i will have chronic pain the rest of my life no matter what i do. the lucky ones that get cured are truly lucky. i believe the rest of us who do everything and still suffer need to come to the reality that we have to find ways to live with the pain. complaining does not help and will make people that we complain to stay away. they don't want to hear it. going to doctors all the time does not help either because we get a reputation as chronic complainers or drug seekers. i guess what i am saying is that we are in some respects in a no win situation. as i have said many times before, we need to suck it up, accept the fact that we will always have pain and live with it. don't sit around and feel sorry for yourself, do something. i am lucky, i work even though i can't get out of bed and need help of my wife to get dressed. don't complain because you will alienate friends and relatives. basically the only one who can fix you as ron stated is yourself.
    good luck
    jon
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • First terror.sometimes there is no fix. I would love to fix myself, but not possible. I have tried everything doctors, neuro-surgeons, neurologists, Physical Therapists (Hum, did I miss anyone?) have suggested, but no one can fix me. After the last 24 weeks of PT I did last fall, the PT told me until I quit working, And it will imporove if I quit work, but never go completly away. I am always going to be in pain. Unfortunatly, I haven't won any lotterys lately, need my health insurance, have this bad habit of liking to eat, be warm, and buy gas for my car to get to the dr's office, so I keep working. My PCP, who is an osteopathic physical would love to "fix" me, but he can't either. He has told me we will work together to keep me patched together for 4 more years until I can retire. At least that was the plan, now who knows, maybe can't ever retire. I try to put a good face on things to the outside world, but some days it's really hard. I don't know what a day without pain would be like. Sure would like to find out tho! No real solution, just another take on the problem.

Maggie
  • advertisement
  • if you read my post carefully, that is what i was saying. the only fix sometimes is within ourselves, to accept our pain and not depend on drs
    jon
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,526
    For the past 8 years, I have been dealing with work, the problems and pain it causes and the treatments I get to make me feel better.
    I have kept working on the computer and know that it is probably the biggest thing that contributes to my pain and spinal problems. So, I go to get my Deep Tissue Massage, and he knows immediately how long I have been on the computer or when I have stayed away from it. So, I wind up pouring money to get these treatments.
    It was never ending.
    I was told I was being laid off. Wow, sort of an ego-buster, but after looking at everything, it was the best thing that could have ever happened to me.
    In less than a month, I have seen improvements in my neck and thoracic conditions that I never saw before. Instead of going weekly for all my treatments, I now am spacing them throughout the month.
    I havent started to collect pension, because I am eligible to retire, but I am fortunate enough to have my wife that basically works full time, but most importantly has the medical benefits.
    I know its a real tough situation to be in. We know that the day to day work is what is causing us so much pain, but without that, what do we do for income? How do we live?
    Its a difficult thing to balance
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • our lives follow parallel paths. i am 62 in may and my wife got laid off last week and i have the insurance but i am too old to retire on disability. my school district says i have to be under 60 to retire with disability. unfortunately, my pain has gotten worse not better. if my wife has a hard time getting a new job, accounts payable, i will have to put off my retirement. i was planning one more year now who knows? hopefully retirement will help heal me. so thank god i have insurance. by reading all of your posts we think and have the same things happen to us at the same time. weird isn't it. it's like we are twins in a parallel universe
    your evil twin
    jon
  • advertisement
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.