Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Multi-level fusion

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,322
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
At present I am scheduled for a about a ten level lower back fusion. This would be from the middle of the thorax to the pelvis.
I am looking for feedback from others who might have or been a similar situation.
I have had three prior decompressions due to stenosis and/or arthiritis.
I also have had bi-lateral hip replacements.
I would appreciate any advice and/or comments.
Thanks,
Chuck
advertisement

Comments

• Hi,
    I am surprised that your doctor is going to do so many at one time.

I haven't had my back surgery yet, but I need from T11 to L2 done on my back, but my doctor only wants to do 2 at a time.
    I will be seeing him next week and I am going to ask him why he can't do all 4 at one time. It might be a little rough, but to me it would be better to do all 4 at one time than go through 2 surgeries.

Will be looking foward to see what answers are written here on this.

slowpoke
  • I had a 3 level fusion, it was rough at first but I recovered fast.

Thats a HUGE fusion tho wow! What type of issues do you have that require a 10 level fusion?

And I am going to be completely honest withya, I don't think I "personally" would had gone back in surgery for another fusion after going through the 3 level. It is a traumatic experience (as most surgeries are). My fusion fixed all my problems I had beforehand. But the surgery itself is painful and very traumatic on your body, and you feel like a semi-truck literally slammed into your back.

Will you have hardware throughout the spine? Do you have osterperosis or some sort of degenerative disease of the bone?
  • advertisement
  • MY SURGERY WAS VERY ROUGH, I CAME OUT WITH BLISTER AROUND THE MOUTH THEY SAY TRAUMATIC STRESS!!!! I HAVE HAD TLIF ON L4-S1 AND IN SERIOUS PAIN.THEN IN 6MONTHS THEY WANT TO DO C4-7 BOTH WITH TITANIUM RODS AND CAGE. NOW THATS A MOUTHFUL. I HOPE U HAVE A GOOD SURGEON, THEY R FAST TO ACT AND HARD ON U TO GET TO WALKING. IHAD TO WALK THE FIRST DAY.BE THORUGH IN GETTING ANSWERS. THIS SITE IS THE GREATEST. LOTS OF HUGGES FOR U!!!!
  • Thanks for your input. I am not sure why he is doing it all at once, but it is OK with me if he wants. He said he uses a substance called BMP (Bone morphogenetic protein) that is supposed to be the best for fusing. There is quite a bit of info on it on the internet.
    I would like to hear what your doctor has to say about doing it all at once. Age may be a factor. I am 72 and don't know if I could make it through two surgeries.
    Chuck
  • Thanks for your input. My main issue is that I have pretty sever spinal stenosis. I have had three previous decompressions, which provided some relief. I also have a vertabrae that has shifted about half inch out of alignment and I have the begining stages of scoliosis. He said he you be using BMP (bone morphogenetic protein) for the fusing, but I would have rods and screws as well. I am somewhat apprehensive because the surgeon that did my decompressions said my back was too unstable to ever have a fusion. He has since retired so I can't double check with him, but three other spind surgeons seemed to think that I nneded a fusion.
    I guees I just have to bite the bullet and do something.
    Chuck
  • advertisement
  • Thanks for your comments and wishes. I hadn't heard about blisters, but I am not too suprised what stress can cause.
    I thnk I have the best surgeon in Austin for this type of job. I have been to two other spine surgeons (an ortho and a nuero) and they both said to go see this one. He and hhis partners are the only ones here that do reconstructive surgery.
    Take care and best of luck to you.
    Chuck
  • I just want to say good luck with your surgery. I hope it goes well. I'll be thinking of you.
  • I've never heard of anyone having so many levels done all at once. Good luck to you,i had a three level in my cervical spine and hopefully won't have any more
  • I also want to wish you the very best in recovery. You're having a big surgery - just be patient with the recovery process - it takes a long time to heal.

Mike
  • I've had that much. Upper back done 30 years ago, all the lower stuff you see on the xray posted done nearly 5 months ago. It is a doozy. I'm still walking stiff, still have pain issues, but surgeon says it takes a year or more. Get in as great shape as you can, take vitamins, do the best you can. I also had complications, but am on the right road now. Good luck!
advertisement