Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Multi-level fusion

advertisement

Comments

• Dana,
    Thanks for your input. I am glad to hear that it helped you. I have heard it takes about a year to recover.
    I don't know about my condition for sure, I have been checking with my GP. He is sending me for a stress test. I am a 72 year old male and I know I am over weight. It is hard to loose weight when you can't 5 feet without two canes.
    I am in Austin, TX and I am seeing the only suergeon here who does this type of reconstruction surgery. The surgery is scheduled for the end of May.
    Best of luck to you snd thsnkd sgsin for your input.
    Chuck
  • I had a five level lumbar fusion with rods and screws. It will be a year May 1st. I pray you do better then I did. It has been very difficult. Lots of prayers and one foot in front of the other. Good luck.
  • advertisement
  • Thanks for input. I am very nervous about having this done, but I don't feel like I have much of an alternative. I am sorry to hear recovery has been long and difficult. Hopeful it will get much better soon.
    Do you know what the doctor used for a fusing material?
    Best wishes for you,
    Chuck
  • I had L1-L5 done 7 weeks ago. If you want the truth...it was really bad and painful. I had the first surgery where they cleaned my lower spine out and the second one 2 days later to fuse. 12 screws, 2 rods and a cage. For about 4 weeks it was really bad. At about week 5 I started feeling better week after week, day after day. I feel OK now but still in some pain. I go to the doctor Thursday to see how I'm doing. You are having a HUGE fusion at one time. You might want to think that one over. Don't mean to discourage you but that's a lot.
  • Hi Chuck

Wishing you all the best for your surgery later this month - oh boy that will be a huge op, but sounds like you've got the best surgeon in your area.

We'll all be wanting to hear how you're going once you're starting to recover.

regards
    Trish, Western Australia

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • advertisement
  • Thanks for your input. I am sorry to hear you are having a rough time of it. I hope it gets better for you soon.
    Yes, I am very worried about it, but I don't know what else to do other than stay on pain medication and two canes. The doctor seems very positive about being able to help me. I hope so.
    Chuck
  • Trish,
    Thank you for your input. I am very nervous about it, but the surgeon seems positive he can help.
    I will let you know.
    Chuck
  • I thought I would post an update.
    I had my surgery three weeks ago yesterday. It was a 7-1/2 hour procedure that did a nine level fusion. I was in the hospital five days and then rehab for two weeks. I will be getting home therapy for the six weeks. After that, probably out patient therapy.
    So far, so good. I have a little pain and am on a low dose of pain killers that seem to keep it under control.
    Thanks to everyone for their comments and input.
    Chuck
  • Thanks for the update. That is FANTASTIC, Chuck! I can't even imagine a nine-level fusion (I had a three-level myself). I am glad that you feel OK, you see, there is life after fusion. Keep up the good work, and remember, don't do anything that would inhibit your fusion. Take good care of yourself, the next few months are critical in your recovery.

Wishing you the best,

Kin

• thats great to here that your doing so well. keep listening to your doctors and therapists.
advertisement