Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!


Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

Crap! The waiting game, and uncertainty I am doing the right thing

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,321
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Man this waiting period and the "AM I MAKING A MISTAKE" talk in my head is insane. As everyone I am petrified! The 30th of this month I get a C5, C6 - C6, C7 Discectomy with Donor Bone. I have to travel 4 hours to the hospital and will return after only one day. The Dr. says I have only 30 days under 25 lbs lifting and then after 60 I can resume any and all sports. He says I can go back to work (I work from home) in only 5 days as long as I don't over due. He says he wants no bed rest and wants me to walk walk walk.

Does this all sound doable?

I will be needing support, I am already about to cancel and just keep medication available. Addiction and resistance to pain medication is a huge concern for me. I am a freaked out baby about now.

This is my MRI results at those levels
At C5-C6, there is posterior disc osteophyte complex effacing CSF ventral to the cord with AP flattening of the cord. There is mild facet hypertrophy. There is moderate bilateral neural foraminal narrowing, right greater than left.
At C6-C7, there is posterior central disc extrusion with slight superior and inferior migration of disc material relative to the disc space spanning a craniocaudallength of approximately 1 em. This extends posteriorly approximately 3 to 4 mm. There is focal indentation of the ventral spinal cord without cord edema. There is left posterolateral disc bulge which abuts the left ventral spinal cord. There is severe left and moderate to severe right neural foraminal narrowing.


  • Well if there's a risk that your surgeon feels you shouldn't be taking by avoiding surgery, it's nothing to mess with. Have you had a chance to get a second opinion? Cervical issue can be very severe and irreversible.

    It's normal to be frightened, if you weren't then I'd be concerned.

    Hang in there,

  • I was scared to death before my surgery but I am 12 weeks post surgery and very glad I did it all my pre-surgery pain is gone and I am making a good recovery. It is possibly to work from home after 5 days but I would do maybe 2-3 hours a day no more than that. I think being scared is normal but being in Pain all the time stinks even more than having surgery!!

  • advertisement
  • Yes, the waiting is the worst part and oftentimes the anticipation is worse than the surgery itself. I was for me, it was for newfienurse and a few others. I'd never even been in a hospital before and my first time is cervical spine surgery?

    I would do it again if I needed to. Although I had a variety of symptoms, the scariest one was losing the use of my left arm. I know someone who woke up one day and his arm just hung useless. He never even had any issues, but, obviously, he immediately went to the doctor and he had to have a 2-lvl ACDF within a few days. He's lucky he got his arm back.

    Don't chance any permanent damage - I know it is the freakyest, scariest thing, but you'll get through it and you'll have us to support you.

  • but at least now you've made a decision. I agree with Cath that waiting could be really bad. When my doctor indicated that it might lead to permanent damage, that was enough said for me. I'm two weeks post-op today and so far so good. but my doc said I'd be out 8-12 weeks in cervical collar. (which is reallly itching right now because I shaved today #o)
  • I was told no lifting over 5 pounds for 3 months. You will not feel like working 5 days after the surgery. It sounds like the surgeon needs to be a little more realistic with post op activities. I was told it could be up to a year before I run again and I only had a single level fusion. Good luck.
  • advertisement
Sign In or Register to comment.