Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Dont follow my mistakes, please learn from them

advertisement

Comments

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,303
    and living life the best you can is always the best route for you and your loved ones.

I guess the only message I wanted to give, but didnt state it strong enough is Eliminate the Stupid Things. That really is the message. Those are the things that can really create problems.

I have no regrets, I was a perfect angel, never did anything wrong, always prim and proper.....

Yeh RIGHT!

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • must be awful hard to balance that halo on those horns every morning!

image:)" alt=">:)" height="20" /> O:) =)) =)) =)) >:D<
  • advertisement
  • That's great. image:)" alt=">:)" height="20" /> O:) :))(
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • dilauro

Thankyou for your openess in this forum. For almost a year I was waiting for someone to 'do something to me' to make my back better. I continued to work despite being in agony and having my legs give way beneath me some days and I did nothing for myself except wait for the surgeon to eventually repair me.

I was originally down for a decompression, however, by the time the surgeon got round to doing pre-ops it became apparent that I actually needed a fusion for severe DDD in L5 S1. When I found out what this actually was (didn't know anything about fusion at the time), I started physio, hydroptherapy, changed my diet and gave up smoking and I don't push myself anymore in a bid to beat the problem to a point where I didn't have to have a fusion. The surgeon told me it was unlikely to help as the facet joint injections etc hadn't worked. I still have aches and pains everyday, but on the whole they are not as bad as they were pre physio etc. My legs no longer give way under me and I feel that I am more mobile than I have been in the preceeding year. I am now deciding upon whether to have the surgery.

I feel a wee bit angry with myself sometimes for continuing to work (seated for 7 hours a day) and go on business trips with heavy bags when I had the back problem in the first place in order to meet other people's demands.

• I really enjoy open dialog like this-and I learn so much from it.To me-a common sense type person-this is AS important a thread as all of the ones with the medical lingo and such in it.

I can see too that every single person is right about their way of thinking..and I just love that.

CHARRYS insight into Ron's post was fun for me to read,because I love seeing how people think and that charry saw and just knew that you Ron,were influenced possibly outside of your own decisions just made my day.I firmly believe that there is so much more that goes into what made us who we are other than what we remember,or even outside of what we know or control.

Perception is amazing in how it differently it affects us all.

I could have made better decisions and maybe made a few stupid mistakes,well,no maybes about it-I did actually-but had I known then what I know now I don't think life would have been near as much fun.
  • advertisement
  • Thanks Ron, and everyone who put their two cents in... I have learned to really limit what I do, because overdoing it causes days of unwanted pain. I am at the point where I really WANT to pick up that rake, refinish my chair, do my planting, etc...but I've learned to control this for the fear of pain. I've had a pretty good week or so, and I don't want this to end!! But sooner or later, I WILL learn how to control the pain, and hopefully eliminate it. I am not saying I am giving up, just being cautious for now. I miss the old me, and I refuse to live the rest of my life on egg shells.
    Amy
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,745
    Ron, I'll save myself a lot of typing and just sign my name to yours. except I just turned 60.
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • This has been very interesting to read. It has left me with 2 thoughts:

1) people like you who have continued to really "live" with chronic pain for so long are amazing. As someone who is a newcomer to pain/not feeling well I am in awe of you!

2) if anything, I have probably been way too cautious post-surgery. It is as if I have put my life on hold until I somehow miraculously wake up one morning feeling like "myself" (rather than me occupying some alien body that I don't know how to deal with).

Again - thank you.
  • I had my first operaton at 15 years old and after about a year I went back to my normal life as if I never had a back problem. Things went fine for about 10 years but I eventually had my second major injury, and now at 28 with 5 operations and in severe chronic pain I do look back and have some major regrets. After one major lower back problem it is pretty much a fact you are destined to have another problem at some time down the road especially if you are not cautious. If I would have taken care of my back, stretching, watching how I lifted things, and paying attention to how an activity could effect my back I really believe I could have possibly avoided this. I would definetl advise everyone especially younger people coming off if their first problem or operation to definetly take care of their back from now on. Its not too difficult to manage, the only thing difficult is that it can sometimes be something random that causes an injury.
  • I will not give up; I occasionally give in (but not because I want to, believe me you!). Like "C", I refuse to be dictated to and told what I can and cannot do - especially where my life (or, I should say "living") is concerned. I would not change a thing; the mistakes I have made (in all aspects of my life) are the very things that have made me who/what/how I am today.

I do tell my kids there are 3 things you will miss when they are gone: your knees, your back and your mind!

Was it Vince Lombardi who said "Getting old ain't for sissies!"? Boy - he was full of malopropisms, but he was usually right on the money.

Jeaux
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.