Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

how long does it take a disc to heal once herniated

Comments

• Personal opinion -it can vary from one person to another, but a lot start to feel less pain after about two months as the healing process starts...
    Facet joint Arthritis L3,L4,L5,DDD.
  • Sandi..Helen

What do u guys know about a degenerated disc recovering from a bulge or herniation??

• advertisement
  • Sorry I was talking about relief of pain...from a herniated disc... Every body heals at different rates..so really couldn't give u an exact time when it will heal ...sometimes they don't heal and a discectomy is required...
    Your doctor can advice you about this.....
    Facet joint Arthritis L3,L4,L5,DDD.
  • benlgrobinsonbbenlgrobinson Posts: 3
    edited 06/30/2014 - 6:16 PM
    Thanks Helen, was thinking more about your experience and any info u may have gained along the way..

• advertisement
  • is different than just a herniation......if there is no impingement or compression of a nerve, then allowing time for the disc to reabsorb might be a reasonable option. If there is nerve involvement, the longer you wait, the more likely that the damage can become permanent. Depending on the degree of nerve involvement, would determine whether or not the surgeon would recommend surgery and how soon.
  • chris herbertcchris herbert Posts: 1
    edited 07/08/2014 - 6:56 AM
    I wish more people would come back after they heal and tell us the news but most people lose interest once they are better. anyway 8 years ago I herniated c5 c6 and c7. one was so bad that the pain ran down my arm into my hand and my arm shook uncontrollably. I went to work loading trucks like that for 2 more days. the pain was so bad I cried and could not sleep. doctors said surgery. I chose to wait and pray. I do believe God healed me but whatever you believe here are my facts. I could not lift a gallon of milk, the pain lasted 8 months, I went to therapy and took pain meds but they did not help much. I was told that after 6 months the nerve damage would be permanent and since I waited 8 months I made a mistake. went to several doctors and only one said that "nobody should tell you the nerve damage is permanent because we just dont know enuff about nerves and every case is different". so I waited and the pain finally stopped at the end of 8 months. then I had to work out to get the strength back. did the whole thing suck? yes. but im 47 now and that left arm seems fine. a guy who is a decade younger happened to have the same problem and he got the surgery right away (didnt even wait 3 months) and he cant even lift his kid today. he is always in pain and on meds. I pray for him everyday but the surgery was fushion and it did not take correctly. I am not telling anyone to get surgery or to wait because that is a personal decision. I can only honestly tell my story and I must be clear that my story may not be what happens to you, and im sure plenty of people get the surgery and are swimming the next month (I recently met someone who had a artificial disc put in and they are into sports and martial arts and are very happy with the disc). best of luck to anyone who is in pain and God bless.
  • Started with neck pain in March April went to chiropractor May GP sent me for xrays June neorosurgeon who diagnosed the above I have been on Arcoxia 120 for a month and Sinuleve for pain at night as this is when I am most uncomfortable
    The surgeon has suggested a cervical fusion but I am not keen as have noted this can lead to weakness with the adjoining vertebrae
    Would a disc replacement be an option for me I am 63
    Would it be an option not to have surgery would it heal in time

• miriammmiriam Posts: 1
    edited 01/20/2015 - 2:25 AM
    Hi there, although this discussion is quite old, it comes up on Google when search for advice about slipped discs. So, I wanted to add some words of hope to those who are going through this injury. I am 10 weeks from I hurting my back (who knows how, just normal life), I have a herniated L5 S1 disc, was taken to hospital for an MRI scan and kept in over night as I had saddle amnesia and the doctors were worried about compression on the spine. This turned out to be a false alarm, but the scan showed the herniation of 1.5cm, so far large. I only say all this to illustrate that this was fairly nasty. But, with 2 months bed rest and regular physio I am now able to drive to work! I have bought a back rest for the car and a back brace belt, which helps and although the numbness hasn't fully gone, and I haven't bent forward in 10 weeks, I definitely feel I'm on the home stretch! So, whatever stage you are at in your recovery, please don't despair, you will get better eventually.
  • Cheetah38CCheetah38 Posts: 3
    edited 01/26/2015 - 7:52 PM
    hello,
    i am new to forum. i went through the worst pain from whiplash ever ten years ago, was pregnant at time so may have made it worse. anyhow got better, had baby girl n she was fine, ten years later my c6-c7 went out, went through two years with family dr understanding and believing me but physical therapy n two surgeons saying it was all in my head! most unfortunate, i went to last surgeon n figured i wouldn't go home with him understanding either. he gave me a stand up mri, best for any spinal situation imo as it hurts like hell to lay in one of those things. anyways, he came in n looked at me n said he was sorry for all the pain i was in and that my disc was basically gone. he would have done fusion that day if he could but i had to quite smoking. got fusion few weeks later n omg, i felt like i went from hell to heaven in a day. xxxxxxx i really wish you all the very best. i have a ruptured disc in my low back from a lifting accident from work but wc will not do much for me until i exhaust all i can, i have had two different types of shots of cortisone into disc area, none of which were successful, i just keep hoping it will get better on its own, but my hope is fading. good luck to everyone!!! ;)

welcome to spine-health

use that above hyperlink to help you get started with spine-health and navigate through the system.

if there are any questions, you can always post them here, send liz or myself a private message or contact ron rdilauro@veritashealth.com
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.