Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

MS-IR Are they out of med???

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,321
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in Pain Medications
I tried to get a refill of a med I have been on several years and was told the maufacturers are out.????

MS-IR 15 mg tabs(or morphine sulfate immediate realease tablets) are out at my local walgreen pharmacies. I am told that they have been out for 2 weeks!! And it is due to a manufacturing problem according to them. Is this true???

I called my PM to find out and no call back yet..I am now scrambling to figure out where to get a med if it is really gone?? Ideas???? ~X( jade
advertisement

Comments

• I have not tried other pharmacies as I have been told it was manufacturing problem. I will try elsewhere if there really are meds but I was told it is a manufacturing problem, and not them....2 weeks out of this med???

I will go out and try CVS but I was told there is no MS-IR, per walgreens...not true???..jade
  • whoa, I had the most bizarre experience. No pharmacy near or close to me had MS-IR 15 mg. It included Walgreens, CVS, Publix (about 10 places). I called my PM and I had to go to a mom and pop pharmacy that the nurse knew had the med. :jawdrop: Suddenly felt like a criminal as she told me to get to this pharmacy "as soon as I can".. :SS

I was told it is manufacturing problem, recall, random events, robbery, and I even asked a couple pharmacists to order it. But I was told that such a request was not possible at the moment. :T It was all cloaked in mystery and I got at least 10 people just shrugging their shoulders at me. :? jade
  • advertisement
  • There was a recall last week of immediate relief morphine,i am on morphine er they there was not a recall of the morphine er....
  • Thanks for the info. It must be a huge recall as there was no MS-IR 15 mg tabs, at least, in my area in central FL.

I only found it thanks to my PM drs office. I was blindsided by this quest and doing this post root canal really sucked. ~X( .I don't know how they handle drug recalls but it seemed to be a treasure hunt. (not)...I would have thought pharmacies would have some back-up plan instead of, well, shrug, we don't have any and don't know when we will get it, shrug again...It's not peanut butter... :T jade
  • BotzBotz Central FloridaPosts: 223
    I just got a refill prescription on the MS-IR 15 this morning. I'm also in the Central FL area. I didn't have any problem last month. Haven't tried to fill it yet. I guess I'll see if my Walgreen’s has any later.

• advertisement
  • Did you have any problem filling your MS-IR?

Just curious.

I was able to fill my mother's prescription of oxycodone IR 15 mg's last Friday. The pharmacist said there is another company filling the prescriptions now... Not sure the name, but the pill has a fancy looking "V" on it, whereas previously (for the last 2 years) it had an "M" on it - guessing for Merck? At any rate the pharmacist said either one of these companies are who she gets them from; she is never sure which company will be filling the orders - just as long as she gets them.

So... this is just bizarre.

I hope you don't mind my curiosity...

Jeaux
  • There is no longer a shortage of MSIR (15mg) and MS Contin (30mg). I have also been on both of these medications for 3 years for chronic low back pain. I found out the last time I went to the pharmacy to fill the prescriptions that many of the pharmaceutical companies have discontinued both of them. None of the "chain" or smaller family owned pharmacies carry them anymore around here. The pharmacies that say that the medicines are on back order will probably never receive them. I live in the New York City area and there isn't one around that has them or can order them. I went on the FDA website and there is no explanation as to why they were discontinued and it is still under the category as being a shortage. I wish all of you the best of luck finding something else that works because I know how difficult it is.

I was wondering if it is different in other parts of the country? Is anyone having the same problem?
    I have had several scrips of MS-IR 15 filled with no problems at all from my local Walgreens. This is a 24 hr extremely busy pharmacy in the Orlando Metro area.

Good Luck!
  • Thanks Botz. My doctor prescribes me both MSIR for BTP and MSER (MS Contin) for the morning and night. I am still being told by the local pharmacies that they are not expecting to get them in any time soon. I don't know why the shortage is so severe here. The chain pharmacies such as Walgreen's, CVS, etc stopped carrying oxycontin, msir and ms contin several years ago because of the population of people who abuse such prescription drugs. I will keep you guys posted. As of right now it looks like my pain management doctor is going to change my whole regimen to the fentanyl patch or something at the end of the month. It's rough trying to go to a job where I'm on my feet all day only with muscle relaxants and tylenol when I can barely get out of bed in the morning (especially when the weather is bad!) I refuse to go back out on disability. Take care and thanks for letting me know how it is by you.
    I'm very sorry you and others are having a hard time getting your prescriptions filled. Just this morning I thankfully had my Avinza 60mg and MSIR-15 filled with no problem. I asked if they have had any shortages and the girl said no. They have not had any issues with the meds at all. I'm not sure what I would do if they run out. I can't use the Fentanyl patch. I break out badly. I have been on the MS stuff for about 7 months. I was taking the max dose 120mg of the Avinza and have managed to cut the dose in half since I got my SCS. I was hoping to get off altogether but that is not happening.
    Take care and good luck to all
advertisement