Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

4 weeks post op today :)

pepper09ppepper09 Posts: 138
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
On my 4 week post op anniversary day, I woke up with no pain. Drove to work for 1/2 hour, got out of car, still no pain. Worked a 10 hour day (desk job), drove home, got out of car, no pain :) Went grocery shopping with my daughter before Spring winter storm is going to hit us, still no pain. Felt really good when I got home and then for the 1st time in 4 weeks, I got on the treadmill. I felt good for the first 15 minutes, but insisted on going 5 more minutes, slow pace. I then did my leg exercises lying on my back. Now I am icing my back because I think I overdid it on the treadmill. Anyway, I am just very grateful to be feeling so good at 4 weeks post op. I hope I didn't ruin anything by walking on the treadmill....I'm used to walking every day, but for some reason I'm feeling a little ache down my right buttock and leg....ugh. I guess I'll see how tomorrow goes.
advertisement

Comments

• So good to hear you are feeling well. But as you learned today...please don't overdo it. Just increase your activity a little at a time. I know from experience that it's easier said than done. It's so easy to push a little more & more when you feel good. Take care.
  • Pepper,

Good to hear that you are pain-free. It's a wonderful feeling!

Curious--how did your surgeon decide between ALIF and PLIF?

Thank you!
  • advertisement
  • Just a friendly reminder to PACE YOURSELF!! So many people get into trouble during that first week or two when they feel good for the first time since months before their surgery. The natural reaction to this wonderful, new freedom is to try to do everything all at once!!

Please resist this urge and be careful.
  • gwennie17 said:
    Just a friendly reminder to PACE YOURSELF!! So many people get into trouble during that first week or two when they feel good for the first time since months before their surgery. The natural reaction to this wonderful, new freedom is to try to do everything all at once!!

Please resist this urge and be careful.
    That feeling is so good though. It's just amazing because I had pain for so long. I don't think I'm going to do the treadmill for awhile though. I have been so careful with the BLT rule and have been trying to walk outside daily. I've also been getting in and out of my car the correct way now and have not violated that at all. I am saying this because I violated just about every rule there was when I had my first surgery. I've learned a tough lesson, although my doctor said it wasn't anything that I did after surgery to require a fusion.
  • Lovinggardener said:
    Pepper,

Good to hear that you are pain-free. It's a wonderful feeling!

Curious--how did your surgeon decide between ALIF and PLIF?

Thank you!
    To be honest with you, he didn't even mention doing an ALIF or why he chose a PLIF. He just said this is what needs to be done and here are your choices.....another laminectomy or a PLIF. I was in so much pain and my right leg was in jeopardy of suffering nerve damage that I really didn't ask a whole lot of questions and the surgery was scheduled within weeks of that appointment.
  • advertisement
  • That is one of few things that no one told me how to do. I finally figure out how to get out of car without fear. Before I was never quite sure I was doing it correctly.

• Lovinggardener said:
    That is one of few things that no one told me how to do. I finally figure out how to get out of car without fear. Before I was never quite sure I was doing it correctly.

Yep, you just pivot about 3 times. Getting out of the car and taking my first step had always been painful, but now it's not :)

I do not recommend walking on the treadmill to anyone that has has had back surgery. I am very sore today...ugh.
  • I'm so glad you've had success with your surgery. It's a great feeling to feel normal again, isn't it?

Well, if you live where I live, it's snowing up a storm. This weather doesn't help much in the pain category, but whatta ya gonna do?

Anyway, congratulations on a successful surgery and ongoing recovery.

Cath
  • Last night after walking on the treadmill for 20 minutes and starting to feel some discomfort in my lower back and right leg, I am happy to say that I was fine today, so it did not affect me. Whew. I wonder how long I am going to be worried that any new pain or anything that I do differently is going to ruin my fusion. Ugh.
  • Probably quite awhile. I have read studies on this topic, as it is so common. Fear is a big factor...you have to eventually learn to trust and get back to living your life...but gradually ease into it!!

You might like to know that there is a mechanical difference in walking on a treadmill from walking regularly outdoors or on a track. The treadmill actually uses some slightly different muscles; you hold your body differently and it is a repetitious activity so there is a kind of sameness to it that can stress the muscles. That may be one reason you felt more sore.

Do you lie on the floor? Whenever your back is starting to feel sore from any activity you've done, just stretch out flat on the floor. Be sure your pelvis is in a neutral position so you are not arching your back (flexing or extending)...no pillow (or very small) pillow under your head, knees bent with feet flat on floor and arms to your sides with palms facing up toward the ceiling. Just lie there, breathing deeply and slowly, for 5-10 minutes.

Another position is to lie in a similar fashion but this time you are positioned right up close to a couch or chair, with your butt up against the bottom of the couch, your legs bent at a 90 degree angle at the hip and then at the knee so your calves and feet are resting on the seat of the couch.

Both this positions are wonderful for stretching out the vertebrae and unloading the disks. Try it any time your back is feeling a little stressed -- it is a form of natural traction that helps your spine learn to realign itself and it gives the disks a chance to get out from under the stress of gravity.
advertisement