Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

P*A*I*N********

advertisement

Comments

• So sorry you are having such a bad time with your pain. I wish i could help in some way but each of us has to deal with our pain in our own way. I suffer quietly and alone but some days I want to scream and throw things like a child.
    Actually I may live alone but I am not alone....I have this forum to turn to. Everyone here is wonderful and I have been given some very good advice and support.
    Sending a very gentle hug your way >:D<
    Patsy W
  • as for ice put it directly on the worst part of your pain .{i am guessing your lower back?}to use a TENS put either side of the worst bit of your pain .i have mine just below the kidney area .and i have the tens on the throb ....throb....throb mode .the tap..tap..tap mode is good for use down your leg .the best TENS in my opinion is the acticare because you can put it directly on your spine and use it as an external spinal cord stimulator see www.acticare.com for more info
    i have been using tens /acticare for years now and i know nearly all the beat places on me to use it .you will find with trial and error where you best trigger point are .the good thing is you cant do yourself any harm .just one point NEVER use tens across the chest or temples may cause health problems all be it temporary
    STRAKER
  • advertisement
  • Sorry to hear about your pain. What others are telling you about relaxing is great advice. Try not to stress out or worry about whether you can work, or anything else, for that matter, because this will tense up your muscles and make the pain worse. I use a muscle relaxant (Soma) in combination with my pain pills, and it gives me much better pain relief than simply taking opioids.

I usually don't like the coldness of ice on my back, either, so I use a moist heating pad, a special type that generates moist heat without the need for using any water. You can buy a moist heating pad at most pharmacies. They range in price from less than $20 at pharmacies to almost $100 at medical supply stores, depending on the brand. In lieu of a moist heating pad, you could probably heat a moist towel in the microwave and use it, but it won't hold the heat for long and you must be careful not to burn yourself. A plain heating pad does not work as well as moist heat.

A flare up may mean you've got irritated or inflamed nerves, and this can sometimes be helped by taking over-the-counter NSAIDS, such as ibuprofen, if these can be combined with your other meds. Irritated nerves in your lower back can cause pain that radiates to other parts of your body, especially your hips and legs, but also your upper back. Even so, you should put the ice or heating pad on the part of your back that's "normally" hurting, because the nerves in that area may well be the source of the pain in other parts of your body.

----------------------------------------

DDD, spinal stenosis, spinal cord and nerve compression, bulging and herniated discs, bone spurs, etc. Fusion of C4-C5-C6 in December 2006, and fusion of L3-L4-L5 on March 12, 2009. Yep, I'm practically spineless. And I'm having to wear an uncomfortable, rigid back brace when I'm out of bed, because of my recent surgery. I refer to it as my exoskeleton.
  • for all you good advice and kindness :* moist pads?? never heard of them?? can i get them in the uk?? at teh mo the real bad pain is in my upper legs and knees ,i just dont know where to put them ! its not as bad as yeasterday though so i guess the fact that hubby and i went out on friday to dog racing where i was sat for about 5 hours didnt do me any favors at all :S ,we dont go out often :( no still not engouraged to do the ice thing! can you get heat pads to wrap around ya legs! :))( have used them on my back often but last time i blisterd /:)
  • I just wanted to say that I'm sorry for the pain you've been going through the last couple of days. It can be so hard with the changing weather, doing more than you should (even if it's a simple thing), or just a plain old bad day. We know how you feel and I really hope you feel better soon.

Wouldn't it be great if we could just flip a switch and feel better? My pain has been a little worse too, but I think trying to get over losing my little buddy is taking it's toll.

Take care of yourself and I hope things are getting better.
    Cath
  • advertisement
  • LizLiz Posts: 9,658
    Hi Jan

Glad you are feeling a bit better
    There are wheat bags you can buy, which heat up in the microwave and can be effective, I used them on my knees and on my neck in the past. They come in all shapes and sizes and some able to wrap around as you asked. They should be easy to find in your local shops or otherwise online

Tc liz x

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • do yourself a favor and order an acticare .the good bit is you can try it for 30 days and if you dont think that you are getting any benefit from it they will refund all your money .dont confuse acticare with 14.99 TENS or even 49.99 tens the acticare is a hospital grade piece of equipment i could not be without mine .they do cost 160 pound but it will last you and it come with 4 batteries and desk charger and 4 electrodes and a lead and a Cary Case .well worth it if you live in the uk .because they wont do the 30 day trial outside the uk .so you have nothing to loose .
    STRAKER
  • yes where is that switch ! :) im sorry , have you lost your pet dog resently how awfull for you cath, nothing can replace the huge place in our hearts for them can it :* i have two soppy dogs, ben and sam and although they drive me batty i love them both to bits ,sending you big slobery kisses from them :*

thanks liz,and for p/message :)
  • keep reading your name as stalker !! :))(

they sound brill , but 160 quid??? sigh i dont think i can get that amount of money right now, hubbys car in for service and mot tomorrow and you know how that can add up! @) i will look into it though,could be somthing for next month ;)
  • Was thinking of you this morning so I turned on my "pooter" to see how things are going. Happy to hear you are a bit better. I think of everyone here although I have never actually met anyone. I know we are all in the same boat.
    It's raining this morning and my pain is very bad. May have to use my crutches. I have to walk on my pain so getting around is hard at times. I go for my trial SCS implant this Thursday. (spinal cord stimulator) I am keeping my fingers crossed this works for me.
    Hope you continue to improve.
    Hugssssssss >:D<
    Patsy W
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.