Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

pain pump,trial vs implant

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,322
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in Pain Management
I HAVE HAD THE TRIAL PAIN PUMP WITH MORPHINE FOR 5 DAYS NOW AND CAN REALLY SEE THE BENEFITS OF THIS PAIN CONTROL SYSTEM.I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW THE PROTOCOL ON ABOUT HOW LONG BETWEEN THE TRIAL AND THE PERMANENT IMPLANTED PUMP WILL IT TAKE.I JUST WONDER IF I WILL BE IN MORE UNCONTROLLED PAIN AFTER THE TRIAL IS OVER AND THE THE TIME BETWEEN GETTING THE SURGERY FOR THE PERMANENET PUMP.SINCE BEING ON THE TRIAL PUMP,I HAVE CUT WAY DOWN ON THE AMOUNT OF ORAL MEDS I HAVE HAD TO TAKE.BUT I KNOW THERE WILL BE AN INTERVAL OF TIME BETWEEN GETTING THE PERMANENT PUMP.ANYONE HAVE A TIMELINE ON THIS?
I APPRECIATE ALL THE ANSWERS I GET FROM ALL HERE.I JUST SO LOOK FORWARD TO HAVING THE SURGERY FOR THE PUMP.I ALSO WILL BE RELIEVED TO TAKE A SHOWER AGAIN.LOL
advertisement

Comments

• I am not having a pain pump trial but am having a SCS trial When I ask my Dr. how long it would be before the permenant implant after the trial. He explained to me that he had to wait until the site for the temp implant healed from the trial before he did the permenant implant. He said it that took two or three weeks. But the reason for waiting was so the temprary site would heal. I am sure the same is true with a pain pump implant. Knowing that will make it easier to wait somewhat. After all it's my spine we are talking about. I do not want hem cutting into me if I am still sore from the trial.
    Happy to hear the trial is working for you.
    Good luck in the future.
    Patsy W
  • From what I have heard, you will go back to how you were after the trial is over. That is why people go nuts waiting for the permanent implantation. Talk this over with your doctor so they can make sure you are adequately covered during this transition period. BTW I'm glad it went good for you and hopefully you won't wait too long. The time it takes to get to surgery depends on the doctor, how you are, and the insurance company. I am waiting to see if I'll be scheduled for a pump trial by the end of the month, and am anxious to hear further details. You can count on me sharing once I learn something. Take care
  • advertisement
  • I think like Meydey says, there's more variables than just healing the temp site. I had my trial leads pulled one afternoon and the following morning had my permanent implant placed. The key is to go with the flow.

"C"
  • I APPRECIATE THE REPLIES.I HAD THE PUMP ADJUSTED UP YESTERDAY AFTERNOON.THE NURSE TOLD ME TO COME BACK THURS. TO HAVE THE TRIAL PUMP REMOVED.I AM HOPING THE DR. TAKES CARE OF MY PAIN ISSUES UNTIL THE FINAL SURGERY TI IMPLANT THE PUMP.
    FOR ME THE PUMP IS A GOD SEND.I HATE GOING BACK TO ORAL MEDS THO.I TAKE 4-5 10MG LORCET AND 4-5 10MG PERCOCET DAILY,BEFORE THE TRIAL PUMP.WITH THE PUMP I WAS DOWN TO 2-3 PILLS A DAY.
    THANKS ALL FOR THE INFO.GOOD LUCK TO EACH AND EVERYONE IN THE QUEST FOR PAIN RELIEF.
    ANDY
  • I APPRECIATE THE REPLIES.I HAD THE PUMP ADJUSTED UP YESTERDAY AFTERNOON.THE NURSE TOLD ME TO COME BACK THURS. TO HAVE THE TRIAL PUMP REMOVED.I AM HOPING THE DR. TAKES CARE OF MY PAIN ISSUES UNTIL THE FINAL SURGERY TI IMPLANT THE PUMP.
    FOR ME THE PUMP IS A GOD SEND.I HATE GOING BACK TO ORAL MEDS THO.I TAKE 4-5 10MG LORCET AND 4-5 10MG PERCOCET DAILY,BEFORE THE TRIAL PUMP.WITH THE PUMP I WAS DOWN TO 2-3 PILLS A DAY.
    THANKS ALL FOR THE INFO.GOOD LUCK TO EACH AND EVERYONE IN THE QUEST FOR PAIN RELIEF.
    ANDY
  • advertisement
  • Don't panic if you need to step up your meds between the trial and permanent placement. My pain returned with a vengeance when they took out the trial SCS lead. It took about 3 weeks for it to calm back down to "normal" levels.

Just remember you will be getting the pump and work with your doctor to get through till the pump is placed.

Eleven more days for me to get through, tick, tick, tick....
  • THANKS,WRAMBLER.I WILL GET THE TEMP. PUMP OFF TOMORROW.YOU CAN BELIEVE I WILL NOT LEAVE THE DRS. OFFICE WITHOUT ADEQUATE PAIN MEDS.I KNOW IT IS GOING TO BE HELL AFTER HAVING BEEN ON THE MORPHINE FOR 9 DAYS.I JUST HOPE THE PERIOD BETWEEN GETTING THE IMPLANT AND REMOVAL OF THE TEMP PUMP,IS NOT HORRENDOUS.IT SEEMS THAT ANY EXTRA ADDED PAIN IS INTENSIFIED WHEN DEALING WITH CHRONIC PAIN.
    I WISH EVERYONE RELEIF FROM THEIR PAIN AND HOPEFULLY THEY HAVE THE RIGHT DR. TO ENSURE THIS OUTCOME.
advertisement