Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

NSAID's give negative bone tissue development?

Renos64RRenos64 Posts: 77
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery

Hallo,
After several surgeries it seem to be that the cage at the level L4L5, is not completely fused and causing micro-unstability. Now I have heard that they used bone from the bone-bank (not my one bone-tissue) and I use every day a lot of NSAID (Dyclofenac). This two factors have very negative influence on good new bone production, so this can be the cause of mine failed fusion.
The plan of my neurosurgery (second opinion) is to test this during an other surgery and if it is not stable, add extra bone-tissue (my one bone transplanted).
My questions are:
Do somebody have the same expirience with NSAID's and transplanted bone-tissue? Is this one of the risks of fusion procedures? What are the results after re-surgery?
Thanks in advance.

Regards, Renos.

---------------------------------
45 years male, married, 3 sons, living in Europe. No work possible since 2005.
Jun.2003, Chronical pain back, botton, leg, foot right side
Nov.2005, ADR L4L5 with no result and extra pain left side
Febr.2006, Posterial fusion L5S1, Right side pain resolved but left pain worse.
Aug.2006, Anterial fusion L4L4S1, no result but worse.
Febr.2007, removal ADR posterial and placement of cage L4L5, no result.
2007, rehab for 18 weeks
2008, Medtronic Morphine pump implanted, no result.
Meds: NSAID's max, Paracetamol max, Morphine 120mg/d, pump 1,5mg/d

advertisement

Comments

• Here's some information on NSAIDS and fusion:

The use of non-steroidal anti-inflammatories following a fusion has been linked to higher incidences of failed fusion. Part of the normal healing process and fusion formation involves the “inflammation process.” Anti-inflammatories prevent the normal post-operative inflammation that aids in healing. Anti-inflammatories should not be used for approximately 6 months following a bone fusion unless otherwise directed by your physician. These medications include over-the-counter aspirin and ibuprofen products, including Advil, Motrin, and Aspirin.

Usually patients are not allowed to take NSAIDS for a period of time after surgery -- my surgeon said 6 months.
  • He Gwennie,
    Thank you very much for your reply. Is it not unbelieveable that I discover this about the negative effects of NSAID's on the fusion biomechanics, after more then 3 years of severe pain and 4 surgeries. No doktor of all I consult in this years have pointed me on this issue. Today I have asked it to my neurosurgeon who will do the revision and told me to that nsaid's can not be used at any time after the surgery due to decreased bone grow.
    Do you know more do and don'ts for this reason? Do you also have had a fusion surgery? How are you now doing?

Renos.
  • advertisement
  • Yes, I had a one level PLIF at L4-5 about 15 months ago. Some surgeons do not believe that NSAIDS have any effect on bone formation, but enough new research indicates that it does make a difference...I figure, why take a chance? It is only for six months and one can take something else during that time.

The surgery is a BIG surgery and it takes a long time to recover. But I had mine in Jan of 2008 and was dancing at my son's wedding in June.

There are many people on this board who have had fusion. If you want to read about a variety of experiences, just look through some of those old posts.