Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Two years post-op ACDF (C5-C7) still in pain

advertisement

Comments

• JKDE302 said:
    i think if fusion surgery is my only option i should just kill myself why would insurance not cover endoscopic lazer and ADR...why would they make people get stuck with fusion so there life is ruined?????
    You know every post I have seen you make has something in it about ADR. To all spine-health members, try not to be pulled in this suicide stuff. My opinion is that JDK is just on a mission to scare people about fusion and put in a plug for ADR. Sorry JDK, just calling it like I see it. I have asked you before if you have had ADR or fusion and you haven't responded. I get protective of my fellow spineys and am just looking out for my friends here.

Cindy
    Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • I am 1 1/2 years post op from 3 surgeries, 2 ACDF (5-6,6-7) and a posterior disc decompression. I just wanted to weigh in on Botox. I had worsening pain after my third surgery that was due to myofascial pain, which causes trigger points and muscle spasms. The severe muscle spasms resulted in numbness and in my arms. chronic myofascial pain can also cause headaches. If you think that some of your pain is caused by CMP, then Botox may be of help to you. I have been getting Botox (actually Myobloc, another form) for about 9 months now, and also active release massage. It has made a huge difference to me. The improvement has been slow, but as the Botox releases the muscle spasms, I am able to do more and the pain gets less. I am now able to work and perform most of my routine functions. The injections are not that painful (especially compared to what you have been through). So, it might be worth a try. It has helped me to break the pain cycle. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.
  • advertisement
  • I have not had surgery yet but i just hear more postive things about ADR then fusion.......
  • Definitely make sure you go get a 2nd opinion, especially with a well known surgeon. Not all doctors are created equal. There are always things that can be done , you just have to find the right doctor who has talent at correct diagnosis and who knows what he is doing. It could very well be these other discs causing your pain, maybe once you have fusion or ADR or whatever to fix it, you may achieve significant improvement.

Regarding fusion vs ADR , they both have successful track records. I looked at both options for myself and just on my own research I was not comfortable with the sheer number of fusion failures and further surgeries. I read hundreds of ADR patient stories over 12 months (many who were 5-8 years post op) and saw what seemed to be a smooth, and fast recovery rate with few complications and about a 90 to 95% short and long term success rate.long term stories mostly from European ADR forums where ADR had been around since the early 90's. Like JDK, I am terrified of fusion after reading all the too commonplace stories of "not improving" or "worse than before surgery". I won't ever say fusion isn't successful, for many it is. The problem is that also, for MANY it is not, with some being worse off than before. I'm simply hard pressed to find ADR failures, there are some, 5-7 I've found on various ADR forums, but they are hard to find cause 95% of ADR all seem to say success. So, I'm admittedly ADR bias, but heck, it's as a result of reading patient outcomes with both surgeries. This is my own opinion. But if you can't get ADR due to lack of insurance coverage, then yea, fusion is still a legitimate option, and certainly is better than doing nothing.
  • :''( bev i am your age and have the same identical problem except im on norco 10 325 soma and xanax for 5 years now its not better its worse and now i have another problem addiction dependancy which ever i have to have the meds or that makes me sicker than the neck pain. i am so sorry you have to go through this i know what it is like i found 1 thing that gives me relief and i got it from a dr in louisiana im in ga now and i cant find it and the dr s here never heard of it. it called SOMBRA its a cream it is the best thing ive ever had trust me ive tried everything. if you ever need to talk just write me im a nurse also. wish you the best. scarlett
  • advertisement
  • scarlett913 said:
    :''( bev i am your age and have the same identical problem except im on norco 10 325 soma and xanax for 5 years now its not better its worse and now i have another problem addiction dependancy which ever i have to have the meds or that makes me sicker than the neck pain. i am so sorry you have to go through this i know what it is like i found 1 thing that gives me relief and i got it from a dr in louisiana im in ga now and i cant find it and the dr s here never heard of it. it called SOMBRA its a cream it is the best thing ive ever had trust me ive tried everything. if you ever need to talk just write me im a nurse also. wish you the best. scarlett
    Scarlett, I'm so sorry for what your going thru. I never dreamed I would be in this condition. Is Sombra a prescription? I'm in Tn, and I've never heard of it. I have an appointment later this month to have Botox injections. I don't know if they will help, most of the research I've done says they don't really help. I'm so depressed at this point, I have to give it a shot. I sometimes fill like I would be better off dead than to be like this.
    I will ask my doctor if he has heard off Sombra. Thanks for the suggestion.
  • JKDE302 said:
    I have not had surgery yet but i just hear more postive things about ADR then fusion.......
    I checked on ADR, but my doctor said it could not be done for multi-levels, and I also have DDD. I can understand why you would be hesitate about a fusion. My life has been a nightmare every since I had my fusion. But most people that have a single level fusion do very well. My sugery was put off for almost two years due to workers comp. My doctor said that my disks had totally collapsed by the time he was able to do my surgery. I now have permenate nerve damage because of it. So if you need it in my opinion I wouldn't put if off, because you may end up with more problems. Good luck.
    Bev
  • Bev62 just know I really am not sure if im going to live to be age 30 (im 29).....I REALLY CANT LIVE LIKE THIS....

EDITED

I might give that stuff a try b/c I made it in to pain managment this week and got A BIG BOTTLE OF watson 3203 AKA vicodin......the first few days where fun but now I already feel strung out and depressed.....

Standards agreement and posting rules
    Please note that Spine-Health reserves the right to edit any messages posted or submitted or e-mailed to the Company and use them for content on the website or in other company materials. No e-mail solicitation or advertising of other companies, products, services, or web sites is permitted in the Spine-Health.com forums.

Edited by moderator paulgla
  • MetalneckMetalneck The Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,778
    Hey gang! ... been a awhile since my last post ... greetings all.

Just another idea for ya ... my doc and I just added Lidoderm patches to my med regimen ... I tried em and they actually help ... Hard to believe ... that I never tried them before ... something so simple, has provided me something that piles of pills didn't - don't ... These are in addition to my standard daily pile of pills ....

Regarding failed fusions ... been there .. done that ...
    The pain and all the other symtoms are still better than before the first ... and before the second ... when the pain is bad enough ... surgery is unfortunatly still our best chance ...

I find it growingly harder to visit our site here ... the additional and continued stories of our pain ... plight ... adds to my general sadness ...

Prayers and best wishes for relief, life, love and peace to you all.

D
  • Good to see you back, my spiney friend. How are you feeling now? Lidoderm patches do nothing for me, but I'm glad they are helping you.

Cindy
    Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
advertisement