Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Two years post-op ACDF (C5-C7) still in pain

Comments

• MetalneckMetalneck The Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,778
    Thank you for asking! ... Finding the balance ... still less than one year post 2nd surgery (My anniversary is May 16th)
    Been back to work since January ... very tough transition after being out so long, stll a good problem to have.

Pain and management is a daily challenge ... take enough to kill (or at least dull) the pain ... but not so much I can't function at a very demanding job (and not put my car in a ditch).

40+ mile commute to boot.

I'm blessed - and cursed in many ways,

as we all are.

D
  • I've found that the patches actually help me too for the nerve pain. I was very skeptical at first but I also didn't want to swallow another pill. My doctor's nurse even told me that he would prescribe them but not to expect much. It doesn't rid me completely of the nerve pain but any relief is welcome relief and allows me to sit in a chair for 8 hours a day.
  • advertisement
  • Hi Bev, I am so sorry to hear about your condition. I can relate to all you deal with except nerve damage I think. I have carried Sombra with me everywhere. My masseuse rubbed it on me after tx's. It feels good but doesn't get rid of deep pain. It masks it enough for me to drive. I like to put saran wrap over it for 10 minutes, then it gets hotter. Don't have to keep reapplying. It doesn't hurt like blue emu cream/capsaicin filled creams. PM me for website or 1-800 #. I get it at a spa- you have to buy it from a business.
    Did your dis. hearing go well? Hope botox helps you this month. My insurance wouldn't cover it in 2003 they thought it was cosmetic for the back of my neck!!!hahah
    Did oxy help you at all? I am scared to get addicted to even more drugs. Vicodin is like candy cuz of tolerance to it. Buspar has helped panic attacks and I don't take barely any valium for now.
    People wonder why surgery and stim. didn't help me. The way I have progressed since 2001 , I can't say I wouldn't have been in more pain by now anyways. I have DDD, arthritis, both arms with tennis elbow- got surgery on worst tear in march 09-
    My pain dr. implanted the neurostimulator with leads/electrodes. You get a trial first to see if you get some relief for a week. I liked the feeling- but now, since the surgery, I've had a few migranes and more pain. Talking to my doc yesterday, he told me once again that the intrathecral pump wouldn't of reached my neck and a stim. inside spinal fluid near neck cannot be done cuz it's too close to brain. It's distressing that with today's technogology we cant address this daily pain. I hope you get some relief - keep your head up
  • Thanks Jenn for your kind words. I ended up not even having my hearing. My attorney called me the day before and said he had talked to the judge and he had went ahead and approved it. I'm still in shock. It took three years, but it's finally over.

My doctor had looked at the spinal cord stimulator for me, but he said that my spinal cord was narrow from the fusion. I hope you get some relief from it.

I will PM you for that website. Thanks again.
  • I know this post is a little late but in regards to the sombre, I use it and I live in south GA. It really does help me with that deep down pain. I can tell you where to get it if your still having trouble finding it.
  • advertisement
  • You gave super Advise ..I had C6 and c7 replaced and have that steel cage in my neck ,it was done this past sept. My headaches were gone as soon as I had the surgery .Was in A hard neck brace for 5 months as the donor bone was slow to grow :) .Now I'm having the same headches daily ,arm and hand numbness etc. My Nurse told me many times after having this surgery the disk above or below will blow and need to be replaced .My app is aug 11 and I'm not looking forward to having this surgery done again but that being said ,I will do whatever to rid myself of this daily pain and never have I wished to kill myself.I have 5 children and 5 grandchildren A grandson due in Oct. A Loving husband and A wonderful god that see's me through everything.Thank You for sticking up for us here (i'm new) But I don't think we need to be hearing about killing ourselves here .we need to support each other 100% Again Thank You .
advertisement