Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

ADR causes instability and more pain

Comments

• THE MYTH: ADR stands for Artificial Disk Replacement, such as the Charite, Prodisk, or Maverick disk replacement, etc. It seems a great many people confuse other fusion techniques with a ADR but there totally different.

Some folks are getting scared off from a ADR from research that was done years ago when surgeons were using the early Charite ADR versions. These did tend to migrate in about 20% of the cases and placement was riskier due to untrained surgeons testing the newest innovation. It was also dangerous to due a revision due to arterys sticking to the ADR and to scar tissue in the area.

THE FACT: ADR is still considered newer technology in the USA and is only approved for 1-level lumbar and multi level cervical. The newer Maverick ADR lumbar disk is considered the better one as it rarely migrates out of position and had had virtually no revisions recorder. The ADR originally was pioneered in Germany and had been used there extensively since the 80's.

I don't need surgery yet, but when I ever need lumbar surgery, I am seriously going to think about travelling to Germany for ADR replacement rather than fusion in the USA. It just seems to make more sense, I'd rather risk having to have the ADR taken out due to some rare issue than to go through the fusion unknowns.
  • Hi Wally2,
    I had also the latest developed Prodisk ADR without migration risks. I did have my surgery in Germany by an ADR specialized Dr. But all this is no garanty on success.
    and before you decide, do also research what the revision surgery means when ADR failes. And what the risks are of a revision surgery? Is your ADR Dr. able to do this or do you have to find an other Dr.?

I hope for you that you will never need it!! As I see you medication use, it is for now not necessary.

Regards, Renos.
  • advertisement
  • Be Carefull!!!
  • Renos64,

My husband is scheduled for ADR. He has already had fusion at 3 levels (L-4,L-5,S1) and as predicted the two discs above the fusion are now ruptured. Another fusion would leave him unable to even bend enough to tie his shoes which is already difficult. I am curious:
    Did you follow ALL post-op instructions?
    Do you eat a somewhat healthy diet?

It sounds like there was a problem with your bone growth rather than the ADR since neither surgery has produced positive bone healing.
  • My husband had an ADR around 5 years ago (I can't remember the level, just that it was lumbar). Before the surgery he had days that he couldn't walk without a crutch, and he couldn't sit at all. He experienced immediate pain relief after the surgery, and his post op period was 4 weeks, after which he went back to a very active job (he maintains factory machinery). So there are plenty of good outcomes, too.

With any surgery, there are going to be all sorts of outcomes, including fantastic and terrible. With any board such as this, you're more likely to hear the "bad" stories more often than the good, as the folks with good outcomes are out getting on with their lives. The best you can do is find a surgeon you trust, do your research, and do everything you can to facilitate success of your own surgery.
  • advertisement
advertisement